“Expensive and disappointing”

The Old Vicarage
Ranked #60 of 159 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Old Vicarage is a six bedroom Country House set in the heart of ten acres of Gardens. Say "I Do" at The Old Vicarage! Tie the knot, then celebrate with a party to remember in our stunning Garden Marquee. The beautiful Botanical Gardens and Woodlands offer the most perfect back-drop for what will become the most memorable day of your lives. A dream setting, coupled with outstanding food and service, for you and your guest to enjoy. The Old Vicarage is Licensed for Ceremonies, in our beautiful Orangery and outside Summer House. We are here to work with you, our dedicated Wedding Co-Ordinators will be on hand from beginning to end, ensuring stress- free preparations. offering you the utmost in flexibility and attention to detail, each Wedding is tailored to your specification. Co-ordinate with our Cordon Bleu Chef to create an enticing Menu. We enjoy what we do and look forward to working alongside you to create the Wedding of your dreams!
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Great decor and cosy atmosphere, but disappointed to be charged £9 for a very poor ploughman's lunch. Home baked bread was advertised on the menu but the bread served was a thinly sliced piece of bread and no way home baked! Very very expensive , I have never paid this much for a ploughman's lunch! The salad was poor as was the small amount of ham. Would have been happy to pay £4.95 but not £9! I won't be going back which is a shame as I am a local and it could be a fab spot for lunching, seems to be very focused on weddings.

1  Thank helen s
TheOldVicarageHinton, Owner at The Old Vicarage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you for your review. I am surprised that you mention paying £9 for our Ploughman's
Lunch. It has always been priced at £7.50. Our till is programmed to £7.50.

Our home-made bread is Red Onion, Rosemary & Garlic Focaccia, baked fresh daily. I am sorry to hear you were not happy with the bread, if you had mentioned this at the time, we would have been more than happy to replace it with our fresh white loaf.

We provide two large slices of ham on a Ploughman's, I sorry that you did not find this satisfactory.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

Had a meal here in March and have waited to see if my friends who went last week fared any better. Apparently not, Sunday lunch was poor, not good value and my friends felt like they weren't wanted. For me and my partner, we took some friends who visited us from London and I was concerned that they didn't enjoy the experience, so I tested it with them. No they wouldn't go back, they thought it was a lovely venue, but service was poor and the food was not up to the standard it professes to be. Would we all go back, no, and its a shame because the venue is lovely.

1  Thank Angus50

Thank you for your review.

I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. We have recently had a change over in couple of previous staff, and our service has improved.

We pride ourselves on being a welcoming family-run business. As your experience does not seem to match our usual high standards - I would like to offer you and your friends whom visited previously a Cream Tea, please call me on 01425 277006.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Spent a lovely night at The Old Vicarage - breakfast included in the room rate and it was excellent
this is a lovely boutique hotel - our suite was very comfortable and spotless
lovely bath tub - but missed a shower

Thank you for your kind review.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

We went for my birthday treat a few Sundays ago, service was polite but very slow, and they took other groups orders first who had arrived after us, never good. We all ordered roast, mine was a vegetarian strudel which sounded a nice change to vegetarian lasagne that all pubs seem to offer. As I dug in I saw pink bits in the cabbage, yuck! Bacon! I was almost sick, they apologised, re-plated, sent apologies from the head chef but obviously as a vegetarian I felt a little sick and disgusted. Pudding wasn't much to write home about. One was free due to the earlier mistake. We will not be back.

Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry about the genuine mistake. I can only apologise.

If you would kindly call me on 01425 27706 I would like to discuss this further and invite you back sometime.to experience our usual good service.

I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed 26 March 2013

We called in for Sunday lunch. I had roast pork, my daughter roast beef. Service was good and they were very helpful with off menu options for our toddler.
The vegetable part of the roast dinner was great, clearly plated up before the meat was put on top, but the meat was very dissappointing. Each plate had a few very thin slices of meat, tough in spite of being thin. They reminded me of the frozen meat in ready meal roasts - or wafer thin ham. At £10.99 each, the price is high enough to expect proper roast meat from a proper roast joint. An economy which means we won't be going back.

1  Thank Kathg872

When your order comes into the kitchen, the Chef cooks your meal, and then the chef dishes up the vegetables on to the plate and & places the meat on top of all of the vegetables. Sorry, I do not see the issue here.

We only us top quality fresh joints, a whole Pork Loin & Sirloin is Beef is cooked every Sunday. We cut our Roast Meat on a Charcuterie slicer, to ensure thinly sliced succulent meat. This does not mean you get any less. I am sorry this was not to your liking.

We have had many positive comments from our customers to say that they enjoy the meat served in this way.

Absolutely everything is cooked fresh and of the best quality.

Each roast dinner consists of the following - Choice of Roast Meat, rainbow carrots, kale, braised red cabbage, creamed leeks, cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding

Our Roast Sunday Lunch is priced at £10.50, which I believe is very good value for money.