“Friendly staff, nice location but nothing special”
Review of Beach House Cafe

Beach House Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
“Friendly staff, nice location but nothing special”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

When you get to Mudeford spit either by walking, land train or the ferry from Christchurch Pier (Easter to October) you don't have any other choice for lunch.

We stopped and had a light lunch which was fine. The restaurant has a nice informal atmosphere. The food was fine, nothing special but also nothing wrong with it at a price that seemed ok given the relatively remote location. The service was also fine and we were young children were catered for well. We would go hear again if visitng the spit, but wouldn't make a special trip for the restaurant itself.

• Visited May 2014

“You made our wedding - Brilliant food, brilliant staff, brilliant organisation, brilliant venue - BRILLIANT!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Well, what can I say other than a massive thank you and a “this place is so phenomenal”. We had our wedding at the Beach House on Friday 25th of April. From the outset Jeremy and Toby (the managers) were fantastic. Their approach was consistently professional and organised, yet unstated, calm and relaxed. At no point did Jeremy or Toby push ideas or agenda’s upon us, instead they worked with us, giving helpful suggestions but allowing us to choose our food, our layout, decorations, band, timings etc, etc, etc which enabled us to have a really unique wedding which was completely “us”. Now as for the actual day itself, I do not think my words will do justice for how well the Beach House did. They hosted the event PERFECTLY. All the staff were polite, phenomenally organised and hardworking and worked round any hitches as if nothing had happened at all (my timings started to go somewhat out as the evening went on – nothing to do with the Beach House at all, more to do with me and the photographer!). The food was ACE! We created a three course menu with Jeremy and the Head Chef about four/five months prior. There was options for guests to choose from for the starters and mains and we also spent a while discussing and choosing canapés. Further, we were able to have a supper and we choose boxes of fish and chips! ALL the food (the canapés, the wedding breakfast and supper) came out piping hot and tasted DELICIOUS (which for over 80 people is no easy feat!)!! I had so many people comment on how lovely there food was and how well the Beach House had managed it all. Furthermore, the drink flowed! I was happy to let the Beach House choose the wines and champagne, to their credit, I do not think I could have chosen better. The arrival drinks were more than plentiful and the bar did very well at using the tab we had given them in an honest and trustworthy manner. At the end of the night, no one was rushed out, the staff just let us filter out in our own time (poor staff!). All I can say is a MASSIVE thank you, you guys made our wedding, your organisation, patience, hard work, attention to detail, great food, great drink, great staff all paid off and do you credit. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Fleet, United Kingdom
“Worth making the effort to get here”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Unique in that it's on a spit of sand about 50m across, you can only reach it by walking, land train, ferry or your own sea going vessel. Starter of Thai fish cakes, mains of sea bass fillets & cod & chips all washed down with a house Sauvignon Blanc , sat in the sun, watching the world go by, what could be better, excellent & worth the trouble to get here.

Visited May 2014
Hampshire
“An expensive journey to discover it closed”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A recent experience prompted me to write this review, and it should be understood that this reflects a one - off experience which left me frustrated by poor communications...
It was a beautiful, sunny day, when a colleague and I decided that we would go over to the spit (where the restaurant is) from Mudeford Quay, so paid to park & paid for the ferry.... On arrival, we found that the restaurant was closed, and food was only available from the take away cafe at the side. I appreciate that the costs of parking and the ferry were part of the experience, but an hour earlier, I had checked the web site (which said that the restaurant was open), and to double check, I phoned the Beach House (at 11:30) - no answer !

The food - being a takeaway, choices were basically sandwiches or pasties / sausage rolls. the pasty was ok, but overpriced, the coffee small and expensive.

Having got this experience off my chest ( if there is going to be a website, then keep it current, and if there is a phone.... answer it!), I should also point out that I have eaten in the cafe, and it is a great experience, eating a full English breakfast, looking over the harbour when the sun is shining. So if you haven't been , and its a beautiful day, go and spend time there.

London, United Kingdom
“Upmaket Beach Cafe but avoid the whitebait”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This place is linked with the Boat House in Christchurch and clearly has the same Finance Director. Now renamed the Beach House, this place has clear aspirations to be more than a cafe and the prices reflect this. Enjoying a beautiful location, nestling amongst the beach huts, which are now fetching £200,000. Ideal place for lunch but makes the most of its monopoly and remote position, catering for beach hut residents and day tourists.

This is no ordinary bach cafe, and prices reflect the ambiance and location - £4.40 a pint, £13.50 for fish & chips, £12.50 for the beef burger, £15.00 for sea bass but like the Boat House the portions can appear mean. We ordered the whitebait and received only 6 fish for a price of £6 (see photo).

Service is pleasant and accommodating but booking is recommended as the queues at peak times are long. If full take the ferry over to Mudeford Quay where the are cheaper alternatives.