“Great location - especially on a sunny day - bug otherwise pretty average”
Review of Beach House Cafe

Beach House Cafe
Ranked #33 of 160 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Beach House restaurant is situated on the harbour side of the sand spit at Hengistbury Head and enjoys stunning views across the harbour, Hengisbury Head and Mudeford Quay. Hengistbury Head is a car free zone meaning bike, boat or a leisurely stroll around the head are the favoured means of transport. Of course this is backed up by the ‘Land Train’, a land train that runs from the Hengistbury Head car park and provides a fun method of reaching us, particularly if you have kids. The Beach House is virtually opposite the Jetty for the Ferries. Mudeford ferry regularly makes the 5 minute journey from Mudeford Quay throughout the summer months, alternatively you can catch a ferry from outside the Boathouse (our sister restaurant) at Christchurch Quay. This will allow you more time to enjoy the full splendour of the river Stour and Mudeford Harbour.
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

In a lovely area right beside the water and near jetty dock. The location is the highlight. Food was ok - nothing special and the service was slow. But you really don't have much choice of anywhere else to go on Mudeford Spit - so a captive audience. Enjoy the sheltered area with canopy outside and make the best of the view!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

When you get to Mudeford spit either by walking, land train or the ferry from Christchurch Pier (Easter to October) you don't have any other choice for lunch.

We stopped and had a light lunch which was fine. The restaurant has a nice informal atmosphere. The food was fine, nothing special but also nothing wrong with it at a price that seemed ok given the relatively remote location. The service was also fine and we were young children were catered for well. We would go hear again if visitng the spit, but wouldn't make a special trip for the restaurant itself.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Well, what can I say other than a massive thank you and a “this place is so phenomenal”. We had our wedding at the Beach House on Friday 25th of April. From the outset Jeremy and Toby (the managers) were fantastic. Their approach was consistently professional and organised, yet unstated, calm and relaxed. At no point did Jeremy or Toby push ideas or agenda’s upon us, instead they worked with us, giving helpful suggestions but allowing us to choose our food, our layout, decorations, band, timings etc, etc, etc which enabled us to have a really unique wedding which was completely “us”. Now as for the actual day itself, I do not think my words will do justice for how well the Beach House did. They hosted the event PERFECTLY. All the staff were polite, phenomenally organised and hardworking and worked round any hitches as if nothing had happened at all (my timings started to go somewhat out as the evening went on – nothing to do with the Beach House at all, more to do with me and the photographer!). The food was ACE! We created a three course menu with Jeremy and the Head Chef about four/five months prior. There was options for guests to choose from for the starters and mains and we also spent a while discussing and choosing canapés. Further, we were able to have a supper and we choose boxes of fish and chips! ALL the food (the canapés, the wedding breakfast and supper) came out piping hot and tasted DELICIOUS (which for over 80 people is no easy feat!)!! I had so many people comment on how lovely there food was and how well the Beach House had managed it all. Furthermore, the drink flowed! I was happy to let the Beach House choose the wines and champagne, to their credit, I do not think I could have chosen better. The arrival drinks were more than plentiful and the bar did very well at using the tab we had given them in an honest and trustworthy manner. At the end of the night, no one was rushed out, the staff just let us filter out in our own time (poor staff!). All I can say is a MASSIVE thank you, you guys made our wedding, your organisation, patience, hard work, attention to detail, great food, great drink, great staff all paid off and do you credit. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Unique in that it's on a spit of sand about 50m across, you can only reach it by walking, land train, ferry or your own sea going vessel. Starter of Thai fish cakes, mains of sea bass fillets & cod & chips all washed down with a house Sauvignon Blanc , sat in the sun, watching the world go by, what could be better, excellent & worth the trouble to get here.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A recent experience prompted me to write this review, and it should be understood that this reflects a one - off experience which left me frustrated by poor communications...
It was a beautiful, sunny day, when a colleague and I decided that we would go over to the spit (where the restaurant is) from Mudeford Quay, so paid to park & paid for the ferry.... On arrival, we found that the restaurant was closed, and food was only available from the take away cafe at the side. I appreciate that the costs of parking and the ferry were part of the experience, but an hour earlier, I had checked the web site (which said that the restaurant was open), and to double check, I phoned the Beach House (at 11:30) - no answer !

The food - being a takeaway, choices were basically sandwiches or pasties / sausage rolls. the pasty was ok, but overpriced, the coffee small and expensive.

Having got this experience off my chest ( if there is going to be a website, then keep it current, and if there is a phone.... answer it!), I should also point out that I have eaten in the cafe, and it is a great experience, eating a full English breakfast, looking over the harbour when the sun is shining. So if you haven't been , and its a beautiful day, go and spend time there.