“2nd time lucky??”

Ranked #24 of 162 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$11 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The New Queen is a 100 seater Gastro Style Bar/Restaurant on the borders of the New Forset and Christchurch Town Dorset.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Thought we’d give it another go as our last visit wasn’t great. Sat in the garden enjoying the weather, play area is lovely for the little one (aged 6). Starters were lovely, so well presented and I thought there must’ve been a change in chef so had high hopes for main course. Sadly this was short lived, the pie crust was over cooked and almost impossible to cut through, it’s a slice of pie as well not a whole pie, the sea bass was lovely. I had ribs and although a good portion the sauce looked almost caramelised on top, and the six chunky chips that came with it were in short supply. Hubby had lamb burger special, tasted lovely but covered in sauces that he would’ve preferred to be less. On the whole for almost £100 I have been to better places. Would I return? For the play area and a drink maybe but not to eat.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We picked the New Queen for the play area for the grandchildren , what a great pub ! Lovely setting with great hospitality . Good beer and great food. Will be returning soon.

1  Thank Adrian D
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We meet so relatives here for dinner on our way back from the coast. Sat on the decking in the sunshine, inside looks lovely as well. Beer was very good, great service from the friendly staff.

I had the D Cut Gammon. A good portion and really tasty, the Cesar salad and the cold loin also looked great and apparently tasted it too.

Would recommend.

3  Thank Nicholas W
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We popped in on a Thursday night with no booking. No probs, there was a table available so we ordered our drinks at the bar. I wanted a G&T and as they had the cucumber tonic which I wanted to try the barman recommended the Hendricks. Good choice young man!! We ordered the crab and crayfish starter which was very fresh as well as the house breaded and deep fried Brie which was also lovely. The salad garnish was good, but a bit dry so I asked for dressing and a little bucket was bought for me. Saved it for my main course too! We had ribs of which the meat fell off the bone and very good bbq sauce and the gammon steak which came with parsley sauce. My husband hadn’t had this before, but polished off the sauce over everything! Atmosphere was relaxed and didn’t feel as though we were rushed or overlooked, but when we did need something they were attentive, polite and obliging. This was our first visit but won’t be our last

1  Thank NormanJRS
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Came to The New Queen for a sunday family lunch for Fathers Day, on a whim as was trying to find somewhere nice to go. Warm and friendly welcome by the staff, didn't wait long for a table either surprisingly as we didn't book a table.
Ordered Beef roast and Gammon, came quick and tasted delicious beef cooked to perfection!!! Not a scrap left on the plate. The staff checked in a couple of times to make sure all was ok with our food and service which was a lovely touch. Although we only had the table for a length of time due to other book it we didn't feel rushed. Atmosphere really welcoming and warm felt like a family country pub. Great review all round

2  Thank Grace F