“A most wonderful place”

Captain's Club Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My daughter got married here and I can only say that everything was truly memorable. The staff, the service, the spa and the accommodation were wonderful. The food was excellent, and we couldn't have had a better time. We were so pleased that we chose this venue, which proved to be faultless. We will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I was lucky enough to stay at the Captain's Club Hotel this weekend; what an amazing experience!

I had a luxury double bedroom facing the river, and luxury it certainly was. Spotless, sumptious and with lovely little extra touches (handmade biscuits in a mini biscuit tin, towels folded into beautiful shapes on the towel rail!) There was an iPod docking station (which was handy because I'd forgotton my iPhone charger!), a flat screen TV, iron, bath and shower and pretty much everything else you could ever want to make your stay a comfortable and relaxing one.The floor to ceiling glass windows, with a table and two arm chairs set in front of it, meant that I could sit and watch the boats in the harbour all day long if I wished!

The food was great, the bar was well stocked and very well attended and the staff went above and beyond the call of duty. It actually pained me to have to check out of this hotel the next day!

The only (very minor) quibble was that the receptionist did not ask if I wanted any help with my bags (I did, having packed far too much as usual!) The man in front of me had been asked. However, when I mentioned this on the feedback questionaire they leave in your room, by the time I'd driven home, there was a personal apology from the manager waiting for me in in-box - a reflection of the fanatastic customer service that this hotel prides itself upon.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Our annual visit to the Beaulieu Autojumble has to include a two night stay in the area.
Last year, we found to our great delight, the Captain's Club Hotel. Great location, and, as last year, we were in the apartment that caters for six people. Excellently equipped with all facilities of a modern home. In fact, general concensus was, we could live here!
This arrangements is ideal for our family party, three double bedrooms, two bathrooms, great 'living area'. The restaurant is ~ (although sometimes a bit noisy due to its close proximity to the 'live music (piano) and the bar area - )modern and obviously very well patronised by local residents, and wedding parties. The food is very good, well presented and the menu varied, using a good amount of 'local' produce. As last year, we had to wait
for our main courses, but since we had no other plans, this was not a big deal. We were advised by the very efficient staff what was going on at all times. The wine was excellent and not too overpriced. Breakfast was great, anything you would want. Sunday it is buffet style for everything, with the exception of cooked eggs which were available on demand.
Reception staff again made some enquiries re local places of interest for us. On returning to the hotel on one occasion the car park was full. No problem, we parked outside the kitchen area (no parking!) and handed our keys to the reception, and it was moved as soon as a space became available. We did not use the hotel spa area this time as we took a trip along the coast instead. Nor did we avail ourselves of the Hotel Boat -
Only two small points if I had to find any fault: l. the bedrooms do get very hot particularly the one with no window, just a roof light and we are advised not to open them due to the insects, sorry got to have some air - b. I don't like being addressed as 'darling' by the maitre d'. (Call me old fashioned)! Other than that a most enjoyable stay again, congratulations to all the staff, hopefully we shall be back next year. We have already recommended this hotel to our friends, and we will continue to do so.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Time Travellers' Wife
Reviewed 1 September 2011

The staff were happy, curtious, friendly. The customer service in general, the best that I have experienced.
Particular mention to Kathryn on reception and the porters.
Rooms were fantastic, great location. Saturday evening pianist in the bar was brilliant.
Spa, again super!
I can only say, myself and my two children (14 & 11) had a wonderful time and will most definitely be returning :-)

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We recently stayed for one night at The Captain's Club Hotel and were hugely impressed. I barely had the car parked and boot opened before a staff member was there to grab the bags. We had a two bedroom suite, perfect for us with a four year old who loved her own single room, although she did find it a little on the warm side. A sizeable living room and well stocked and modern kitchen was more than we needed, a nice touch was things like milk etc. already in the fridge for us to use.The view over the river was perfectly tranquil, it was so relaxing to watch boats slipping by the window while reading, or even sitting in bed. We had lunch which was great value for children and then had dinner in our room. It was delivered with a smile and the staff member laid the table with a proper tablecloth and made sure we were happy before he left. The food was great, although portions were a little on the small side, we weren't left hungry. The breakfast was also great, a lovely buffet with fresh food and not the typical greasy bacon and saugages that most buffets have, it felt a cut above most breakfasts.
Overall we found the staff to be excellent, warm and friendly and obviously well trained. The only two minor points that were disappointing was that it could be difficult to get seating outside because the weather was so nice (that's life and I don't blame people for hanging on to their tables in such fine sunshine!) and parking could be tough as it was a smallish car park but not a major problem either. We would definitely go back and would highly recommend The Captain's Club Hotel.

Room Tip: Try for one on the top floor in the middle of the hotel for the best views
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2011

we stayed for two nights when attending a wedding.The room was nice with a good view, but during the night there was some heavy rain and it fell on the metal awnings that were outside the window,there was a constant drumming .We spoke to the front desk staff and were told it was a design fault and that was that --no sleep or at least a very disturbed night.I think the windows could be better sound proofed as in other hotels.The bathroom is very modern and the bath is big enough to swim in,that's if you have enough time to fill it,after 15mins I only managed to get 2.5 cms of water in it..I would also mention that it pays to be gentle when using the basin water supply if you do not want to get a soaking.
The wedding was excellent and all the staff we dealt were the same ,but for the price of a room at approx £200 with breakfast i would have expected better.

Room Tip: all rooms face the river but the front facing ones are better
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2011

My husband and I visit this lovely Hotel once or twice a year. If you visit when the sun shines (which it did last weekend) there is no better situation to be in. The rooms are beautiful and contemporary with lovely beds, luxury toiletries in the modern bathroom and great views over the River Stour. We camped out on the terrace and enjoyed the sunshine and the activity on the river all afternoon and were joined by family for a bite to eat later that day/night. The staff are a delight, from the welcome at Reception, the waiting staff, the bar staff and friendly smiles from the management who are doing a splendid job. The food served on the Terrace/Bar is good, but is excellent in the main Restaurant. The atmosphere in the bar area at the night time was amazing. Loved sitting at the bar over a glass of wine watching the cocktails being made with skill. All the staff appear to be happy and enjoying their jobs! A particular mention to Andy and Alex who went that little bit further to make our stay special. Breakfast is superb also. Took the opportunity after checking out to return for lunch back on the terrace which was great. The sun continued to shine and we enjoyed the Regatta which gave a great atmosphere. All in all - looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Cigala
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
#18 of 67 in Bournemouth
The Cumberland Hotel
The Cumberland Hotel
#12 of 67 in Bournemouth

Been to Captain's Club Hotel? Share your experiences!