“Very nice stay”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
New Forest, United Kingdom
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in a apartment was a good size and was nice the sofa could do with a clean . The staff were all very nice ,I had a steak in the Restaurant the 1 st night that was very good . A fab view over the river We all had a good time we will be back

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Last weekend , I celebrated my 50th birthday with 70 guests at the Captains club, I don't think I have ever completed a trip advisor review before however I feel compelled to share how brilliant the Manager and staff on the evening were with myself, my family and our guests. Nothing was too much trouble, the service coordinated by Niloo was personalised, warm and accommodating. The meal was superb, hot, fresh, beautifully presented and as a Home Economist, I have high expectations and can be a bit fussy. Every dish and portion of food was excellent, the guests couldn't believe the portion size of the brownies that were goey and delicious. We chose to stay overnight and had a fabulous cooked breakfast . All in all a really special weekend . Particular thanks to Tim, Lena, Niloo, Marchin and Sam, a night to remember. Looking for the next opportunity for a party or a celebration!

Room Tip: The rain during our stay made it very noisy but this couldn't be helped.
Warfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We, as a family of 4, have had our Easter break at this hotel for four years running and unfortunately it has gone downhill year after year. This upsets me greatly because the location is perfect, the rooms are fantastic in terms of size and facilities AND we have made some wonderful memories here with our children.
This last Easter break, I chose to leave a day earlier than planned. I couldn't stay another night. On day one, from the moment we entered our 2 bedroom suite, we were greeted by a hot and stuffy room. The hotel knew we were returning guests and I had hoped the air conditioning would have been switched on at least half an hour before check in. I proceeded to turn the air conditioning on and open the windows. Suite 201 is directly over the terrace restaurant therefore noise coming from there is loud and sometimes rude! At night it is worse but after having enough at 11.30pm, we had to call reception to ask when it will stop. Apparently, the area should have been closed off at 11pm & the staff manage to move the guests into the restaurant. I assume the hotel is aware about this issue and I had booked months before. Why couldn't they have placed us in our 'usual' suite? The hotel is also aware that we have a dog that was coming as usual and this time they did not leave any bowls or bedding for him. There was also no bedroom slippers and the complimentary biscuits were stuffed between two paper covers that were meant to sit on top of the bathroom glass cups!
The next day, we asked to be moved to our 'regular' Suite 210 and the hotel kindly obliged. The Reception staff said Suite 210 needed cleaning when the guests leave at 12. We told her we would go out and be back by 2pm at which time we can finish packing and move across. She said that that was absolutely fine! All's well until we came back at 2pm on the dot, to be told staff have packed our personal belongings and moved it across for us because the new guests need to check in! The hotel clearly states that check in cannot be guaranteed until 3pm. However they took it upon themselves to remove our belongings without our consent. This is after we told them clearly we will be back at 2pm! I took it upon myself to check Suite 201, I found 2 housekeepers and some of my belongings left behind! They finished before 2.30pm with more than half hour to spare! There was no need to remove us and touch our belongings without our consent! We had no apology from the management!
Suite 210 was not cleaned properly! Black dog hairs on the sofa and brown blankets placed on the end of the beds. The main bathroom sink was clogged. (It was clogged last year too!)
I had to leave the hotel the next day!
When I initially booked, I asked whether there would be any special deals especially since we were returning guests and I was told that the hotel has managed to keep the rates the same for many years without having to pass the increase prices of electricity, water etc. Believe me when I say, it is clear to see where they have cut costs in order to keep the rates the same. It is not the luxurious hotel it used to be 4 years ago! There used to be the little things that staff would do to make an effort and make you feel at home. That's all gone now. Pity, to have to say goodbye to a hotel we were so familiar with. But we shall never be returning!
On a final note, the hotel has no right to remove guests personal possessions without warning or consent! That was an absolutely terrible action and one that was unnecessary!

Room Tip: Never Suite 201 unless you don't mind noise
7 Thank Fussytraveller75
winchester
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed overnight in a two bedroom suite. Very spacious and well equipped, with lovely view of the river. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent, and they were very child friendly. Only downside for me was the wifi speed which was slow and inconsistent.

London
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Captains Club was everything we needed it to be and more! Our brief: suite/apartment style accommodation within a hotel that would serve us a great breakfast! We needed at least 2 bedrooms + lounge/kitchen area to ensure we could keep our twin babies (9mths old) well fed and catered for and yet still have space for mum and dad to enjoy an evening with decent room service. CC really hit the spot, the suite was brilliant, loads of space. The room service menu was the same as the restaurant menu so loads of choice and they would even serve it course by course so your ice cream doesnt melt while you eat your main All of the staff we met were courteous and really made an effort to make our stay enjoyable. Breakfast was all freshly cooked to order and was amazing. I even saw the MD/General Manager on duty at breakfast one day - I've stayed in a lot of hotels, you just dont see MDs/GMs working breakfast and clearing tables!! The only down side is the lack of decent curtains!! We fed this back and apparently they are being changed, they're too light and with light sensitive babies this was an issue but luckily for us they soon got used to it. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: the suites are excellent, really worth the upgrade. Be aware the single bedroom on the 2 bed suite...
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I visited the captains club for the first time as a special treat. We chose the champagne afternoon tea which is quite pricey but I had heard goods things. I must say I was disappointed. The seats in the bistro area where we were sat were tatty and ripped, the tea pot was chipped. There was only 2 kinds of sandwiches, egg and ham neither of which were particularly exciting. The cakes were small. The scones were delicious however. I left feeling hungry and I would not go back, I was expecting more luxury for the price.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VickDi
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

3 of us dined on tues 9th April,having booked a table. It wasn't busy. Right from the start we were giving a dirty side plate. The waiter didn't care. The starter and main were very good, but once our main was served we were left on our own. Our wine never arrived, as the waiter was too busy chatting. It had sat on the bar for 10 minutes. We retrieved it ourselves. We didn't get asked about dessert. Our dirty plates sat for 20 mins before we decided to just go. My wife asked to see the manager, who, when told about the appalling service, just grunted. No apology.! The only tip I d give is, don't go there!

1 Thank Steven R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Premier Inn Christchurch / Highcliffe Hotel

Been to Captain's Club Hotel? Share your experiences!