We booked the 3-bed suite as a last minute getaway with our 3 children. Making the booking i was reassurred that children are very welcome.
The room was fine, however the air-con could have been switched on or windows opened in preparation for our arrival, it was very stuffy. Soon sorted though, and views are great.
Beds were comfy. However flush did not work in the toilet in one of the bathrooms, and the shower took forever to heat up, shower door did not close properly and it leaked into the bathroom. Also the whole suite could have done with a good vaccum.
We had a table booked at 6.30, with the children. However when we presented ourselves at the maitre d' desk we were over looked whilst the staff took care of 2 other groups who had arrived after us, before us. Nevermind, were were told we could have drink on the terrace and order food there before moving to the restaurant. After a 20 minute wait we had to ask for drinks, and menus. Another 20 mins and it was apparent that orders would not be taken on the terrace, so we moved to our table. Only 1 table had been laid for five and it was not overlooking the river, we were told we could not move.
Food was nice and the children were well catered for. However we were eventually eating supper at 8.30, and the children were just too tired for desert. Waitress (Morgan) was great and made up for the appalling service we had experienced up to that point.
Breakfast was the real low though......
We again presented ourselves at the maitre d' desk at 8.30 (breakfast served between 7.30 and 10.30). After a while made our own way to the restaurant, as there was no-one around. A solitary waitress reluctantly showed us to a table set for 6 again stuffed at the far end of the restaurant, again we could not have river views. We were only given 2 menus for our table of 5. The buffet was great, but we could not serve anything as there were no spoons.
We waited 30 minutes for 1 full english and 1 bacon,eggs, tomato. When they arrived the egg yolks were broken on one plate and rock solid where they had been left under a grill on the other. We asked for fresh eggs, 20 minutes later new plates arrived and we were told everything had been cooked from fresh, nonsense, the rest of the plates were burnt from under hot lamps and the baked beans were cold. Goodness only knows what they had done to the black pudding, but we did not dare eat it. Couldn't be bothered to complain again as didnt want to wait any longer as children had by now got bored having eaten their cereal and sat around for best part of an hour. We did ask for fresh toast, again an interminable wait...we gave up!
I did complain to the duty Manager who after listening finally managed to say that he apologised. Even the people at the next table, who overheard the conversation, said that they couldnt believe how rude he had been in not saying anything.
They did knock £40 off the bill, but when you are paying these sort of prices you expect better service.
A real shame, could be a great hotel that we would have visited again. Needless to say we will not be visiting again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern 4 star luxury hotel and spa in Christchurch, Dorset. Overlooking the river Stour and located in the historic town of Christchurch, Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is a small independent luxury hotel with a nautical twist. The hotel features 12 two and three bedroom luxury suites, each with separate lounge/living areas, and a selection of hotel rooms. Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is home to one of the best bars in Christchurch with award-winning mixologist and Bar Manager, Tommo, at its helm. They also have a 2 AA rosette restaurant, event facilities for up to 100, and a spa complete with hydrotherapy pool, sauna, and treatment rooms. All accommodation and event spaces face out onto the River Stour so no matter what you are travelling to Captain’s Club for, you are guaranteed a beautiful view. The alfresco dining terrace is open all summer and provides the perfect location to soak up the atmosphere of life on the river. This Christchurch hotel is family-friendly and rooms/suites are dog-friendly ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Captain's Club Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Captains Hotel Christchurch
- The Captains Hotel
- Captain's Club Hotel Christchurch, Dorset