I arrived with a degree of trepidation, having read some conflicting reviews, had a couple of bad experiences elsewhere, and after parking outside what seemed a motel style reception area wondered whether I'd made another mistake. Nope. The first good sign came just after I told the receptionist my name, and the gentleman sitting next to her looked up and said "Would you like me to take your luggage out of the car for you sir?" Would I ever! Yes please. From that moment on everything went perfectly. Check in smooth, bags (all six of them, as this was just one stop on a five week Europe tour, so we had to combine business, entertaining and casual gear) delivered to our room, all the bits and pieces explained, and genuine surprise when I offered a tip.
I'd taken advantage of the hotel's offer of a two bedroom suite overlooking the river and was very pleased that I had. The suite was more an apartment: a fully equipped kitchen, dining area, desk and workspace, plenty of power points, nice lounge, two bathrooms and the lounge area and bedroom each with a fantastic view of the boats and swans sharing the river.
We could have made dinner ourselves and stayed in the room but I'd already booked a table in the restaurant and we made our way through a lounge/bar area into a large, well fitted dining room, again with picture windows overlooking the river. Lacking confidence in English cuisine (which I've described elsewhere as an oxymoron) I ordered a steak and P Seabass, and to our surprise and delight neither was a disappointment, so much so that we had no hesitation in fronting up again the next night. Breakfast was cold buffet and hot a la carte and again first rate.
This really is an outstanding property and I have no hesitation in recommending it highly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern 4 star luxury hotel and spa in Christchurch, Dorset. Overlooking the river Stour and located in the historic town of Christchurch, Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is a small independent luxury hotel with a nautical twist. The hotel features 12 two and three bedroom luxury suites, each with separate lounge/living areas, and a selection of hotel rooms. Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is home to one of the best bars in Christchurch with award-winning mixologist and Bar Manager, Tommo, at its helm. They also have a 2 AA rosette restaurant, event facilities for up to 100, and a spa complete with hydrotherapy pool, sauna, and treatment rooms. All accommodation and event spaces face out onto the River Stour so no matter what you are travelling to Captain’s Club for, you are guaranteed a beautiful view. The alfresco dining terrace is open all summer and provides the perfect location to soak up the atmosphere of life on the river. This Christchurch hotel is family-friendly and rooms/suites are dog-friendly ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Captain's Club Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Captains Hotel Christchurch
- The Captains Hotel
- Captain's Club Hotel Christchurch, Dorset