We had a 2-night Christmas break at Captains Club and really can't praise it highly enough, it felt very special.
The rooms are stylish and contemporary in design, low key but not extremely minimalist, and everything feels good quality. The situation is idyllic if you are lucky enough to have good weather - the enormous bedrooms face the estuary and have huge windows, the restaurant has a floor-to-ceiling window for its entire length, and we were so lucky to be bathed in sunshine on both days, watching swans, walkers etc go by. Very relaxing indeed although that may be very different in the summer when I imagine that the river and the hotel deck would be very busy.
The staff were brilliant - friendly, informal and couldn't do enough for you. The maitre d' (Andy) had absolute mastery of a very busy restaurant and the service was really very good. The receptionist was also fantastic and helped us with our bags herself because the porter was busy at the point we arrived.
The food was excellent - lovely flavours, beautifully presented and some imaginative twists - a mulled wine sorbet on Christmas day in between courses for example. It was also clear that it is popular with locals and not just residents, and they showed great consideration for all of their customers.
When we arrived there was a choir singing Christmas carols in the lounge, which sounds twee but wasn't, and there were really excellent pianists playing for much of the rest of the time - again, not the cliched old favourites but some interesting arrangements from talented players. It wasn't obtrusive and was lovely to have live music rather than the simpler, bland alternative.
The tiniest criticism I would have is for the bath/shower which seemed to have been over-engineered - a case of form over function to an extent, but this really is very minor and once you had mastered the controls it wasn't a problem at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern 4 star luxury hotel and spa in Christchurch, Dorset. Overlooking the river Stour and located in the historic town of Christchurch, Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is a small independent luxury hotel with a nautical twist. The hotel features 12 two and three bedroom luxury suites, each with separate lounge/living areas, and a selection of hotel rooms. Captain’s Club Hotel & Spa is home to one of the best bars in Christchurch with award-winning mixologist and Bar Manager, Tommo, at its helm. They also have a 2 AA rosette restaurant, event facilities for up to 100, and a spa complete with hydrotherapy pool, sauna, and treatment rooms. All accommodation and event spaces face out onto the River Stour so no matter what you are travelling to Captain’s Club for, you are guaranteed a beautiful view. The alfresco dining terrace is open all summer and provides the perfect location to soak up the atmosphere of life on the river. This Christchurch hotel is family-friendly and rooms/suites are dog-friendly ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Agoda and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Captain's Club Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Captains Hotel Christchurch
- The Captains Hotel
- Captain's Club Hotel Christchurch, Dorset