“Busy local restaurant with great food and buzzing atmosphere”
Review of La Mamma

La Mamma
Ranked #29 of 162 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited after recommendation from owner of accommodation where we were staying and we had a lovely meal and a very nice well priced bottle of wine. Very generous portions with plenty of accompanying vegetables included rather than as expensive extras. Nice touch for those celebrating birthdays and special occassions and the staff and owners were very attentive. The main area was very full and quite noisy, so do request seating in the side that opens onto the outside Terrace and it is also a bit cooler. Nice meal, good service, would definitely return.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Have been to La Mamma's a few times over the years, but decided to visit mostly recently in June with my family and partner. I requested a table by the door as my Mum is disabled and hard of walking..Though it took a while for us to decide, when we finally had the waitress attentive. Ordered the garlic bread with cheese to start; very yummy for what it is! For mains I ordered the Pollo Principessa which is chicken in a creamy sauce, vegetables and ordinarily sautéed potatoes but I opted for chips.. I must say the food with both courses came pretty swiftly and I thoroughly enjoyed my main. I've read reviews about the décor but I think that's what makes the restaurant so intimate and authentic. My only qualm is the prices.. I do find this restaurant very pricey for what it is, however food was delicious... You usually have one that didn't enjoy their food but all four of us were in agreement that the food was equally as tasty. Will be booking a large table for my upcoming birthday so let's keep our fingers crossed the service & waiting times are just as swift for large tables!

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Our first evening of a short break in Christchurch, so we hadn't booked. The welcome at La Mamma was cool; most tables were empty, but "we think we can fit you in". We were shown to a table in a far corner. The menus came quickly enough, but we were left nearly 20 minutes before our order was taken; the waitress spend much of that time talking socially to an obviously regular-dining couple at a nearby table. After that, the situation improved. The food (veal in lemon sauce, and chicken in cream sauce) came reasonably quickly, was well presented and served (silver service of the veg), was clearly freshly cooked, very tasty, and good sized portions.
The ambience is average; the room fairly dark but not excessively so; it was rather too cool (an outer door being wide open despite the evening being cool); it was quiet, without excessive background music.
The restaurant was still less than half full when we left.
The price was reasonable. We would go back.

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Ab fab gluten free pizza and all round great Italian Restaurant - a Christchurch legend that's been open for 45 years and still run by the same family! Well done John - still a great host and such lovely staff who've been there for years....you must be a great boss as well as great restauranter. Such a great place to celebrate Father's Day, Birthdays and Anniversaries.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We chose this restaurant after reading the reviews. It was wonderful. Food is excellent. I had calamari followed by fillet steak with peppercorn sauce. Cooked exactly as requested. My husband really enjoyed his spaghetti bolognaise and pizza. We chose the house wine (we do this regularly as we always find it is a really good wine) and we were not disappointed. Service is excellent and staff are very welcoming and friendly. A real gem! We really were full after our meal but this didn’t stop us being tempted by pudding. However, it was too big to finish although delicious. Will definitely visit again when next in the area