“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Chippenham
Northumbria
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Having arrived in Chippenham after a long tedious journey from Northumbria we were looking for somewhere overnight to rest. Having visited two or three other hotels/B&B's in town - including the over priced Angel Hotel we walked over the Market Place to the 1700's building called the Bear Hotel.

Whilst, on entering, it does not look fancy or particularaly well appointed we were given a very warm welcome from the owner who immediatly made us feel at home and was more than willing to give us a deal if we wanted to stay more than one night. indeed the complimentary cup of coffee was particularaly satisfying as I sat downstairs whilst my partner was allowed to view the room.

We were shown to a room up a lot of stairs but the climb was worth it as we entered a very spacious double room looking over the market place. The king size bed was a welcome comfort after our journey and the room tidy and clean.

Not only did the landlord welcome us but also a number of locals who invited us to join their team for the weekly quiz though I have to say we didn't excell ourselves with our trivia knowlege blaming the long journey and tiredness!!!

In the morning we were treated top a lovely full English though a slight contradiction in terms in that it was with Scottish "square" sausage-yummy!

The hospitatlity was such that we decided to stay an extra night and were served a lovely home cooked roast in the evening.

The Bear certainly doesn't have all the facilities of it's 3 star opposition but it is a good honest pub and hotel where staff make you feel welcome. We are possibly moving to Chippenham and will certainly be making it our local if we do.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glennorthumbria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 13 August 2008

First, a confession: I rather like ‘Ye Olde English Inns’ above their more modern business hotel counterparts, so I guess that makes me biased towards places like The Bear. By no means is it perfect, or even close to it, but I really enjoyed my stay.

Having been quoted over £90 by the neighbouring Best Western (The Angel), I came across The Bear on the off-chance (it doesn’t appear to have its own website), and was quoted £65 room only (apparently they normally charge £80 but there was no chef when I went, so no breakfast). Not sure I’d pay £80, but for £65 I got quite a spacious room with a view over Chippenham’s market square (which has a certain charm) and a clean bathroom, carpet and bedspread. The bed itself was a bit on the hard side, but not uncomfortable.

In fact the décor was a bit better than I had expected for what is, basically, a pub with rooms – including real pine furniture, decent carpets and curtains and, whilst no flat screen TVs, at least a small portable TV that was properly tuned into the five terrestrial channels. The only downside on the décor front is the paintwork on the stairs and corridors, and in some places in the bedrooms, which is a bit knocked and in need of a re-paint. The Saniflow system on the drainage also emits quite strange noises and smells!

Best things about the place, though, were the welcoming and friendly service from the landlord; plus the charm of the building itself, which is a lovely old inn with features such as beams and sloping floors (to the extent that nothing stayed on top of the bed-side tables!).

The downstairs bar/restaurant area has been refurbished at some stage, and although it has probably lost a bit of olde worlde charm, it’s still an interesting place to sit and watch the world go by. Although there was no food when I was there, the menu looked like decent enough pub grub (although perhaps a bit pricey… £10.95 for a chicken kiev?!). One of the funniest features of the place when I stayed was a rehearsal for the local troupe of bellydancers in the first-floor function room!...Clearly The Bear sits at the heart of the local community!

All in all, whilst it’s not a ‘hotel’ in the sense of its neighbor The Angel, I thought that The Bear was a great old inn, warts and all, and would definitely be back.

• Liked — Value, service, charm
  • Disliked — Paintwork a bit knocked around the edges
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank castleton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chippenham
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
#3 of 4 in Corsham
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#2 of 4 in Calne

Been to Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!