“Restaurant sets standard”

Ranked #7 of 114 Restaurants in Chippenham
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We have been established in the small market town of Malmesbury since 1986 and moved to our current location in the historic village of Sutton Benger in 2002. The building dates back to 1726 and was built by the grandfather of Joseph Fry, the founder of 'Fry's Chocolate'. The main focus of our food is French cuisine with Spanish and Italian influences throughout the menu. Our menu also includes fresh fish, English and Scotch beef steaks, and a traditional Sunday lunch.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I have visited this Restaurant for over 20 years, well before it changed its name to La Flambe, back to when Bob and his wife ran it. We have never been unhappy at any aspect of the Restaurant. Since Manuel and Mark (Maitre de) refurbished the place I always look forward to a Sunday meal, Beef, pink and cut thin with only a small corner of fat which I cannot eat. Vegetables are well cooked, hot and with ample roast potatoes and gravy I take my time and savour the meal. Mark the maitre de was on holiday but I was well looked after by Dean the senior waiter, Tyrone, Alice, Anka, and Ellie sister of Katie who had informed me that her mother and I had worked together at Anchor foods in Swindon, many years ago. Only sad note was being advised that Mac the chef had decided to move to the south coast with his new family and will be sorely missed. I only hope that the new Chef does not fall into the trap of changing too much early-on but takes it slowly. Every visit has been a pleasure and all should read the reviews by people hiding behind a nom-de-plume with a modicum of suspicion. I will return in the next two weeks.
Donald Keighly
Calne

Reviewed 8 July 2014

4 of us booked a table for Sunday lunch. We all chose the Beef with 3 of us requesting it pink and 1 well done and that was exactly how it arrived, served with a wide range of vegetables and potatoes. We all left clean plates and said it was the closest thing to a home cooked roast "like your mother would make" that we had . The roast beef was very very tasty and cooked too perfection. Only 2 of us had sweets as we were rather full from the main course but my wife had the Pavlova which was also excellent followed by Irish coffees.

The only thing we would of liked to have done was to eat our meal outside as the weather was georgous but this was not an option. All the staff we dealt with were very efficient and professional.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have been to this restaurant many times before and are always impressed with the food and service. Sunday was no exception. It was another theme night and we were once again spoilt with superb food and exceptional service. I wondered how they keep it up, but they do and I have no hesitation in recommending it to the most discerning customer. A truly deserved 5 stars. Its great to know a place that you can utterly rely on. We will certainly return ..

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Have driven past the restaurant many times and it always looked busy. And with good reviews on here we decided to try it for a birthday meal. We were pleased with our decision.

Given the name we thought the menu might be more French. It's not particularly. But good choices nonetheless.

It was very busy with 3 large parties in. But this didn't have an impact on the service we received.

Acouple of slight gripes. The wine was expensive. And while the waiters / waitresses were waiting for the large parties to arrive they were hanging around near our table which was distracting.

We liked this place though and look forward to coming back.

1  Thank BennyDiction
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Had a lovely meal at La Flambe last night with my family. We all chose from the Set Evening Menu and we were not dissapointed. Have eaten there several times before. Couldn't think of anywhere nicer in the Chippenham area to go for a lovely meal especially when celebrating a special occasion. Friendly and helpful staff and the food is just wonderful.