“Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Foxham Inn

The Foxham Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Foxham Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 116 Restaurants in Chippenham
Price range: US$15 - US$22
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Foxham Inn, near Christian Malford is one of my favourite eating-places in Wiltshire. The restaurant is one of the top five on my list and I always enjoy both, the menu and the welcome from Sarah and Neil although I would question the popularity of the Dorset snails as one of the starters. I gain enjoyment in reading the menu to decide what to eat but always have difficulty in choosing from such an extensive menu. The Sunday Lunch was excellent but the roast beef was a little too fatty for me although it did enhance the taste. Roast potatoes and vegetables were cooked to perfection with a wide choice of sweets available. I normally try a different sweet on each visit. Coffee to complete the meal and would always recommend telephoning to reserve a table.
Donald Keighly

Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was like eating in the local village hall; bright lighting, cheap chairs and tables and dirty cutlery. No ambiance whatsoever. We waited 40 minutes for our 2 steaks to arrive, in the mean time we waited for some bread to dip into the oil and balsamic vinegar (of which there was barely a trace of balsamic) and when it did finally arrive (just before our meals) the oil was old and tasted of petrol. We had ordered one medium steak and one medium to well done. My husband commented to me that his steak (which should have been the medium to well done) was luke warm so when the lady publican came to ask how our meals were, he politely told her that his steak was not very warm to which she brusquely replied "well we leave the steaks to rest, it makes them more juicy" and promptly turned her back and walked away. It then became apparent that the waitress had put the wrong steaks in front of each of us. Both steaks were fatty, grisly, under cooked and swimming in peppercorn sauce which is usually served in a small jug on the side and the chips tasted as if they had been cooked in old stale oil. We didn't want to waste any more time in this pub as it wasn't homely, friendly, warm, comfortable or welcoming. we had already received a rude and unfriendly response from the landlady so we paid up and left. She clearly wasn't interested in our comments. As locals we will never return or recommend this pub to anyone. The worst meal/experience/service we have EVER had. Stay away, there are several much better very close by.

3  Thank Flaxen F
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Lovely surprise for a cold wet night
Food was superb
Ambience excellent
Parsnip soup was excellent and tasty main courses of duck & steak and very unusual desert of mandarin based sorbets

Reviewed 22 December 2013

This is the 3rd time at this friendly pub/restaurant and the first time we've visited in an evening. On all occasions we have found the food, hospitality and service to be second to none. Delicious dishes across all courses with an imaginative flair. Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I were travelling extensively through England catching up with old friends and family. We had prebooked into the Foxham Inn for the night and invited our friends from a neighboring village to join us for a meal. We hadn't seen them since we all lived in Bermuda over 5 years ago. Everything about this place was first rate, the friendliness, the room and the food. We had a very special evening and next time we are in England will certainly be staying there again. The husband and wife team had everything so organised and perfect.