“Could do with a hoover.”

The Pines Guest Accommodation
Ranked #27 of 31 Chippenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2014

With a work booking in Chippenham we needed somewhere we could lay our head, with breakfast preferably and at not too expensive a price. having been able to find a variety of places that match that requirement around the country in the past we hoped that we had done it again however there was a lot left to be desired.

Whilst we were very appreciative that they were prepared to wait for our arrival as we were a late check in the first thing I did was nearly trip over the metal surround to the doormat which wasn't fastened down properly. We were checked in and led to our room upstairs where the owner (I presume) came into the room with us to tell us things such as breakfast times etc. This felt a little uncomfortable as every other place I have been to we have been given this information before being shown to our room and never in our room. It also didn't help that the times we were given for breakfast did not correspond to the information on the back of the door.

The first thing that struck me as we walked up the stairs was that it needed a very good hoover as there appeared to be wall paper peelings on the stair carpet. The bedroom wasn't much better with damp patches in the shower area, crumbling plasterwork and, again, a carpet needing a bloody good hoover.

Breakfast was a pretty poor affair and left us feeling like we were lacking somewhat.

Sorry but all in all we would seriously NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't think there is one.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Family of three booked via booking .com. I really wish I had read ALL reviews prior to booking. This place is a dirty and smelly hell hole. Arrived next day to find the place a total shambles. I learnt that their computer system had crashed and repair work was being carried out, it looked like a building site and cables and tools alike were left in the hall next to a shabby looking reception. The building had a dirty husky type smell. I was not prepared to subject my wife and son to even enter the building. I tried to get someone's attention but this failed and I simply left. I then cancelled my booking but had to pay 75% of the cost which is robbery. The management could have kindly cancelled the booking without costs due to the building repair work being carried out. But it is quite obvious that they need every penny as they probably don't get a lot of custom so he refused. I WILL NEVER EVER USE BOOKING.COM AGAIN AND STRONGLY RECOMMEND ANYONE CONSIDERING BOOKING THIS FLEA PIT OF A PLACE TO VIEW IT IN PERSON PRIOR TO BOOKING OTHERWISE IT WILL COST YOU TOO. There is a lovely Premier Inn very close by.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Reviews seem mixed, but we found this hotel was exactly what we wanted. We don't like the sterile corporate places where you pay for facilities that you don't need. Everything was friendly, comfortable and clean and its well located for the centre of town. A real bonus was the evening meals - cheap and delicious home cooked greek food with good greek wine - rather than dull standard hotel meals from a standard menu

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mick K
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We booked a family room at £85 with my friends, it looked beautiful and clean on the pictures and the bathroom was written to be "en-suite". When we arrived, we discovered an old building, not really good maintained... we were surprised the room was really small (not like in the pictures, fake ad.....!) and the bathroom was 2 corridors away from our room (so again a lie, it's not en-suite, it's just a private bathroom not locked where everybody can go........)
The room has not been vaccumed at all, there were crumbs and dust everywhere on the carpet, it was disgusting...!!! We even found 70p on the carpet behind a bed! We asked the staff to clean and they apologized, but for the price, it's inadmissible... The lock was really strange and we were kind of blocked, I recommend anyone to stay in this guest house...

The breakfast was okay but my friends ordered a menu which didn't exist, they wasn't left, so they justate cereals and drank orange juice.... I took the scrambbled eggs but they were tasteless and dry, and the toasts were overgrilled...

I'll keep bad memories of this guest house...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aurelie M
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Pines was absolutely fine!

After reading the mixed reviews, have to admit to wondering what to expect. What I got was: a perfectly clean room with no dirt or smells, there was working WiFi, the evening meal (I went for the moussaka) was not fancy-pants cooking but was tasty and filling and a good full English breakfast the following day. Yes, the place is basic, but it does not pretend to be otherwise and was excellent value for money. I’ve stayed in far “posher” hotels that charged extra for the WiFi. As there were new fittings in the room it is obvious that the owners are upgrading and maybe the more negative reviews date from before the work? No bother from cockerels or other farm animals either! Larger saloon cars may struggle to get down the narrow road at the side but parking at the front wasn’t a problem. I would stay at the Pines again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Intelligenthamster
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Our stay at here was very accommodating. Great value, friendly staff, clean rooms, and excellent food all contributed to a great weekend away. Will definitely be returning and would recommend to friends!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jemma2350
Reviewed 23 August 2013

very good The pines hotel is very good the rooms are very clean my family has seen all of the rooms thea are very clean up to speak my family has stayed hear it's very good all my family has stayed hear

• Stayed: August 2013