“Massacred !!!”

White Hart
Ranked #31 of 116 Restaurants in Chippenham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: In the idyllic hamlet of Ford, near Chippenham, The White Hart delivers trusty British fare from a seasonal menu. Regionally-sourced mussels cooked in a creamy shallot and white wine sauce and served with a hunk of crusty bread lead the extensive menu, together with melting charcoal oven steaks and Sunday roasts. Reclaimed furnishing and oak beams litter the dining room, while clashing tartan prints add a contemporary touch to The White Hart interior.
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Took our family to the White Hart having heard good things. Bad move!!!
My starter was dry with only half the items on the menu presented on the plate and my husband's Asian salad consisted of limp lettuce leaves and red cabbage.
It then took the best part of 40 minutes for our main course to arrive and I truly wish it hadn't.
My son and husband ordered the burgers and they looked as if they had been left on the barbeque since the day before, completely inedible.
My daughter's chicken breast was so dry we couldn't get a knife through it so her supper was sweet corn and chips.
My paprika coleslaw was full of chillies.
Everyone of our plates had blue and white paper on it and my daughter ended up eating soggy bits of paper with her steak, if everything is so greasy it needs paper to soak it up should it not be done in the kitchen and not on our plates?

The list is endless.
The waitresses were very sweet but didn't seem surprised, replacements were offered but it was by then so late and we were so disappointed that we couldn't face any more.
The manager came over but didn't seem that interested in our ruined evening.
When the bill came one of the burgers was still on it, the waitress removed it but no one apologised and they just didn't seem to care.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We've been here on and off for the last 20 years. Our friends phoned and asked if we wanted to take the dogs for a walk and have a meal, as it's been refurbished and new management. 'Twas a lovely sunny day so off we went.

It is a dog friendly pub outside (good), so we got a table and I went for drinks with our 8 year old god-daughter. Things started going iffy when I took my time describing cordials to her to see what she would like. Despite the bar being empty I felt the owner was fed up with me as he kept rolling his eyes during my explanations.

The next faux pas was mine - being too clever balancing the drinks some of them spilt over, so I ordered some more. Our friend had originally ordered a half of lager, but when they brought them out she had a pint. On querying this the waiter looked her straight in the eye and said "are you just trying to get a free half pint?" We all rallied and said it was always a half pint (he had the previous empty on his tray to take away!!!). No apology, just more accusations that "I've had three this week try to do the same". Disgusting, and rude.

We had three burgers, and fish & chips. For the price, the burgers arrived on a board with about 12 chips, and no salad or garnish. There were a couple of leaves in the bun, but that was it - the plainest looking burger I've ever had. Asked for some mayonnaise, never arrived.

If you've read any of our reviews you'll know I like a burger. This one was about 6/10 for flavour. BUT the chef had been very clever, and had bulked them out with a huge quantity of chopped onions. So much that they fell apart under knife pressure. This is an old technique to maximise profits using cheap onion instead of quality beef - and it has no place in today's restaurants. Shameful.

We then ordered an orange and water for our god-daughter. Simple? Nope, got an orange and lemonade (she doesn't do fizzy). Asked for a replacement. Simple? Nope. Never arrived.

So we went to pay, and surprise, surprise the full pint had been added. That necessitated the managers approval, and on his arrival and having to explain (again) their mistake did we get a sorry?

Nope. Never arrived....

Cheerio. We will come back for a drink in the lovely garden overlooking the stream, but never a meal. They really don't appreciate what they've got and how good it COULD be. Shame.

2  Thank SandTChippenham
Adam F, General Manager at White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We always welcome comments from our guests whether positive or negative as it helps us to stay on top of our standards. I'm very sorry that your visit was a negative one. We have taken your comments regarding service and our burgers on board and please be rest assured that we have addressed the issues so they shall not be experienced again. If you would like to get in touch with me personally to discuss your visit and the issues raised please do get in touch with me at info@whitehart-ford.com

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The pub itself was stunning, food I have to say was totally opposite! Staff, you just could not get a smile?? My conclusion is that one must go out of one's way to produce food as bad as this, worst than a greasy spoon cafe! Chips are re-fried and taste of fish and every thing is microwaved again and again! Very poor indeed!

Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry that you found our food to be disappointing. We pride our selves in making our fresh food from scratch daily but clearly on this occasion we haven't delivered them to our normal standards. Again please accept our apologies and we hope it hasn't put you off from returning to the White Hart. If you would like to discuss your visit with me personally please do email me at info@whitehart-ford.com

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Found the White Hart whilst searching online for a suitable location in Wiltshire to meet up with friends. A beautiful setting and a very comfortable restaurant with outdoor seating. The lunch was a bit hit and miss unfortunately. Food is served on wooden boards and most enjoyed their main course – the burger eaters were impressed, but the half roast chicken was very dry. One accompaniment was paprika slaw which no-one liked, so straightforward coleslaw would have been better. Chips were excellent. Desserts very disappointing, the lemon meringue “pie” especially so; this is a small tartlet, probably no more than an inch thick, with a thin layer of lemon and an even thinner layer of meringue – avoid!

We probably wouldn’t return but the location is lovely and a carefully chosen lunch from the menu could be very much enjoyed at a table by the river in the sunshine on a quiet day.

Thank you for your review. We're glad you enjoyed our beautiful surroundings - we are very lucky! But I'am very sorry that we failed to impress on our food that was obviously not up to our usual standard on your visit. Please be rest assured that your comments have been taken on board and passed on to our Head Chef so this will not happen again. We hope that you haven't been put off from returning to the White Hart. If you would like to discuss your comments with me personally please do contact me at info@whitehart-ford.com

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Went for a belated Father's Day lunch on Sunday 22nd June, which ended being far from enjoyable. After waiting for almost an hour and a half for our 5 standard roast dinners I asked the manager how long they would be. He then asked how long we had been waiting and I advised him 90 mins. He slyly smiled and told me it had only been 35 mins (no apology), I corrected his timescales and he grunted at me and replied "I don't think so". I also explained that the 3 tables next to us had arrived after us, had their starters and mains and were ready to leave! On retuning from a toilet break I walked past the kitchen where our waitress was talking to the kitchen staff about me... Quote "did you hear that "expletive word" complaining about his 1 and half hour wait". When I bought this to the managers attention... Who at this stage was talking to my family at our table explaining the delay was due to what we had ordered (5 standard roasts on a Sunday), he denied his staff would have said that... No apology again! After we asked for a free round of drinks for the delay and his staffs behaviour he reluctantly agreed. So from this visit I guess the customer is never right and deserve verbal abuse, and that it's our fault for ordering 5 roasts on a Sunday. The service could have been explained if the place was busy, but it wasn't.