“Sunday lunch”

White Hart
Ranked #35 of 117 Restaurants in Chippenham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: In the idyllic hamlet of Ford, near Chippenham, The White Hart delivers trusty British fare from a seasonal menu. Regionally-sourced mussels cooked in a creamy shallot and white wine sauce and served with a hunk of crusty bread lead the extensive menu, together with melting charcoal oven steaks and Sunday roasts. Reclaimed furnishing and oak beams litter the dining room, while clashing tartan prints add a contemporary touch to The White Hart interior.
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Found this on trip advisor so thought we.d pay a visit.
Set in some beautiful surroundings, the place had a rustic feel about it, extensive menu for a Sunday prices not to bad.
Service was very good and food of a high standard , as it got busier we needed to get someone's attention to order coffees and the bill, but apart from that rated it quite highly.
Walk in the surroundings after lunch we discovered some very nice places and the locals were very friendly.
Lovely place if the weather's good.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

staff,location and particularly castle combe town were great, the white hart sewerage smell was everywhere though

1  Thank john o
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was taken to The White Hart for Sunday Lunch. Lovely day, idyllic location and typical Cotswold pub with obligatory stream. We were booked for 1.30, table ready on arrival, and the restaurant was very busy and they were turning tables - so a very popular venue, which were mainly families or groups. Quite a basic Sunday Lunch menu, but something for most people. A couple of our younger members had been previously and gave us the 'heads up' that the portions were rather large and 'child portions (half price) were available'. A good bit of information. Most of us had the 'childs portion' which was more tham ample in quantity. However what it lacked was quality and appearance. Took me back 50 years to school dinners, everything piled high on a plate. The meat was tough and had rather too much fat. Having fought our way through the main course some had Sticky Toffee Pudding - well, none of us had ever seen or tasted anything so revolting - it was left.
Very disappointing and an embarasment to our hosts.
Sevice was good and staff attentive.
Good car parking
Moral of this Review - ALWAYS read TripAdvisor before you go !

1  Thank John_CI7087EN
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were delivering my son and daughter to a hotel to enjoy their honeymoon in Bath and I had been tasked with finding "a nice country pub outside Bath". This one seemed to be fit the bill and we were pleased to see it had a beer garden and beautifully sunny courtyard patio outside at the back, as well as tables out front.

En route to the pub, we passed what was previously described as "a burbling trout stream", and were surprised by the stench coming from it - obviously some sewer difficulty going on near the car park. Fortunately, the smell was not noticeable from the rear courtyard, but if you walked too far over the grass towards the stream, it came back (quite literally) like a bad smell.

My wife had the duck starter (which she enjoyed), my son had a hamburger (a little greasy) and I had a sausage ciabatta with chips (which I had to have replaced because of butter on the ciabatta) and my daughter-in-law had the chicken (which was a goodly portion).

My son asked to exchange his burger's chips for a slice of bacon and the waitress happily obliged and my ciabatta was exchanged with an apology and equal good grace, so I cannot fault the service. I did hear one waitress telling some customers that it was her last day, so I wonder if the might explain the previous poor service reviews?

The good: the beer, the range of beers at the bar, the food (mostly) also, the nice peaceful and the service Decor inside was fine too.
Less good: The (hopefully temporary) stinky stream.

We will be back, for sure.

Adam F, General Manager at White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for your review. We always welcome comments from our guests whether positive or negative as it helps us to stay on top of our standards. I'm very sorry that on your visit our stream was 'smelly'. We addressed the issue on the day and all has been fixed.

We hope to see you at the White Hart again soon.

Regards
Adam

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Took our family to the White Hart having heard good things. Bad move!!!
My starter was dry with only half the items on the menu presented on the plate and my husband's Asian salad consisted of limp lettuce leaves and red cabbage.
It then took the best part of 40 minutes for our main course to arrive and I truly wish it hadn't.
My son and husband ordered the burgers and they looked as if they had been left on the barbeque since the day before, completely inedible.
My daughter's chicken breast was so dry we couldn't get a knife through it so her supper was sweet corn and chips.
My paprika coleslaw was full of chillies.
Everyone of our plates had blue and white paper on it and my daughter ended up eating soggy bits of paper with her steak, if everything is so greasy it needs paper to soak it up should it not be done in the kitchen and not on our plates?

The list is endless.
The waitresses were very sweet but didn't seem surprised, replacements were offered but it was by then so late and we were so disappointed that we couldn't face any more.
The manager came over but didn't seem that interested in our ruined evening.
When the bill came one of the burgers was still on it, the waitress removed it but no one apologised and they just didn't seem to care.