“best spot in Chippenham”

Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Chippenham
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I booked three rooms for an overnight stay on a Saturday night. The hotel is situated right on the old market square with a spacious car park at the rear, next to the public carpark. Our rooms were in the new-ish extension at the rear, tow overlooking the delightful courtyard and one the car park. Rooms were clean and well appointed. Beds were very comfortable. After a gander down the high street to check out suitable venues for our evening meal, we decided to eat in the hotel. Staff were very accommodating and moved tables together for us. The food was good value for money and very tasty. Breakfast was a continental buffet with all the usual choices and English breakfast cooked to order - very good. If ever we are in this neck of the woods, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: check in before taking your bags from car - if your accommodation is in the courtyard, you'll be...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We had a weekend at the hotel visiting family for a celebration get-together. The hotel check in was easy, the room in the main building was wonderful. We had everything we needed and it was very clean. The staff were all very courteous and helpful. We couldn't fault our stay at all. We will be back!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

My family had a long weekend in Wiltshire and based ourselves at the superbly located and appointed Angel hotel, in the very heart of Chippenham town centre.

Good size rooms, clean and friendly, excellent amenities with a gym and pool. A very fine selection for breakfast too.

Great for creature comforts but just a few miles from beautiful countryside. A terrific combination. The price of a B&B with the facilities of a hotel.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are a decent size, but for a few pounds extra, the upgrades to executive (or higher...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I whisked my husband here for three nights after his leaving do so that he didn't have time to 'dwell'.

Our room was large, with TWO comfortable chairs, a well equipped bathroom and wifi. A fridge would have made it perfect. Although there was a party Saturday night, it was quiet in the room and we weren't disturbed.

Staff were really helpful, providing a vase and a cake knife on request and directing us to the studio of the artist where I planned to buy his birthday present. They also chilled a bottle of champagne and brought it over to our room with four glasses when friends joined us for dinner.

We ate dinner in the restaurant twice - which is rare for me as I am on a gluten free diet so choice is often limited. A gluten free menu was produced as we sat down, which is a real bonus, as often we have to wait while the chef is consulted. The food was well cooked, tasty and good value. I would have liked to have been given the bill at the end of the meals (fortunately we had planned to treat our friends but it could have been embarrassing).

The pool, though small, was pleasant and warm and there were changing rooms.

My only real negative (once the matter of the top I left there was resolved) was that there was only one key. (We asked for a second but were told there wasn't one.) Since you needed a key to access the building, not just the room, this was really inconvenient. On one occasion I found myself in the pool while my husband, who doesn't swim, had gone back to the room from the (pleasant) courtyard with the key.

All in all it was a lovely retirement trip - the first of many I hope!

Room Tip: A room facing the courtyard is nice.
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed in biddestone room. the room was spacious and the bathroom modern. service at breakfast was good, the buffet selection was adequate, and the cooked breakfast was cooked.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have stayed here a number of times over the last five years and always been impressed by the hotel as a whole. My latest stay surpassed all previous stays with customer service being akin to a much more expensive hotel. All of the staff were chatty, friendly and approachable yet still maintaining a high degree of professionalism. Although the team at the Angel are all very good, one person in particular (a lady in the restaurant named Amy) made the stay a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 26 February 2012

What a splendid hotel!! This is now the second party that I have held at the Angel and it would be difficult to find a better venue.
I originally chose Chippenham because it is easy to reach from all points of the compass via the motorways. The hotel is very conveniently situated to the rest of he town, has large carpark at the rear and a very pleasant central courtyard for enjoying warm summer evenings.
The old building has been beautifully refurbished and extended and the public spaces are light and airy with a very welcoming atmosphere. The bedrooms are furnished in the modern style and extremely quiet and comfortable, each with its own absolutely spotless bathroom.
The function room was ideal for a party of forty or so guests, complete with wooden dance floor for the disco, and an adjacent private bar if needed. On both occasions the hotel has provided really splendid buffets with a wide variety of well presented dishes.
I cannot commend the hotel staff highy enough, they were extremely efficient and nothing was too much trouble for them. Finally I found the prices ‘spot on’ for the quality of accomodation and service which was provided.
I hope to repeat the event next year.

Niall Christie

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chippenham
Stanton Manor Hotel
Guyers House Hotel
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Corsham
Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort

Been to Best Western Plus Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!