“I'd definitely recommend here if you're in the area”

Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Chippenham
UK
“I'd definitely recommend here if you're in the area”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Staying in the hotel as a business traveller for at least 2 nights per week for the last few months, I've had the opportunity to experience most types of room in most areas of the hotel. So my first recommendation is not to expect your room to look like the photos I post here... The majority of rooms are nothing like this size!

The hotel scores well on a variety of fronts: value for money, location, free wi-fi and overall ambience. The bar area in particular has a variety of sofas and cosy spaces where it's a pleasure to spend time, with small candles added to the table and lights dimmed. The staff are competent and usually friendly, especially to their regulars, and happy to serve briskly at breakfast (where each hot meal is prepared to order). In addition, the guest questionnaire in the room is essentially a blank piece of paper leaving people free to write their own comments, which suggests to me that the hotel is keen to ensure they're not simply carrying out a tick-box exercise. I particularly like the fact that at dinner, if you're resident there's no need to wait to sign the bill (they simply charge the whole meal cost to your room): although don't like the fact that this means the staff tend to miss out on the tips they'd almost certainly receive at other hotels or restaurants. The staff are good enough not to create a system that bypasses rewarding them.

I would also recommend that the reception area is tidied up (allowing residents to see into the back-office with its piles of paper is not a good look) and staff who work there should make more effort to greet residents they recognise by name - and in particular if they're Best Western reward card holders - as well as ensuring their standards of customer care and uniform standards are maintained. On occasions, the key has been virtually dumped on the counter and the "Would you like a wake-up call or newspaper" question forgotten.

But please don't let that put you off! Overall, this is a well run hotel with clean, good size rooms and more amenities (such as a pool) you'd expect at this price point. The staff all know their jobs well and I'd be very surprised if anybody has an issue staying here. There are many hotels in this area but for a reliable and predictable (in a good way) stay, I'd definltey recommend The Angel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This was just a regular work trip, and I was not delighted to see the Best Western name. But this place did actually delight me, and I think it really matched some of the best of this part of England. It's right in the middle of this beautiful town (good), in a really old building (really good), and the hotel design works with the architecture rather than swamping it (wow). I was lucky to have a room in an old wing overlooking the courtyard, but the new wing looked fine if less colourful. Service reminded me that I was closer to the West Country than the Home Counties (very very good). Food was surprisingly tasty - I expected stodge and did not get it. All the sensible amenities were available - WiFi, kettle etc. I would prefer nicer teabags and nicer soap, but apart from that was a great stay.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Stayed here for two nights last weekend as it was close to Bath and great value. We stayed in one of the four rooms that had a four poster bed - very very comfortable. Large, clean bathroom that was fairly cold for most of the time as the old windows don't shut completely, there is always a draught. That said, it's a risk you take when staying in an old building like this one! The room in general was clean and well kept. Tea and coffee supplies, extra blanket, iron and ironing board, large TV and free wi-fi. We had breakfast in the hotel both mornings, the staff were very friendly and took our order quickly. The restaurant was roomy and the food was very good - we opted for the full English both days, cooked and served to order, but there are continental options as well. Then there is the usual fruit and cereals etc on the buffet table. Can't comment on the bar area as we didn't go in there. We had dinner at the hotel one night as well, once again the food was plentiful and very tasty! The pool is fairly small and not very deep so not very good if you want a real workout from it. It worked for us though as all we wanted was a leisurely swim. There is also a gorgeous cloisters between the main building and the newer building that houses the pool and gym. On the Saturday night there was a wedding at the hotel but they were kept away from the main guests so as not to disturb which we thought was very nice. A word of warning, satnavs may struggle to find this hotel!! Ours had the postcode leaving us stranded in the middle of the high street, which is a bit of a problem if you don't know the area.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beefy85
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed one Sunday in February and were absolutely delighted to have chosen this hotel.
Starting with the warm welcome from the lovely receptionist to the breakfast and departure we could not find fault.

Our room was one of the beautiful four-posters on the front of the hotel, large, airy and tastefully decorated

The bar and restaurant are open plan and it makes it light and friendly.

We enjoyed a very nice breakfast served by charming chatty staff.

All in all it was a great break despite only being one night and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2013
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We visit Angel Hotel as a family for the Sunday roast after hearing good reviews.
We opted for 2 courses which as under £10 so great value for a hotel and even better the food was a very high standard and generous portions. There was not a great deal of gravy on the meal (may have been enough for some), so we asked for extra and the waitress was more than happy to bring us extra and promptly brought us a jug from the kitchen.
Overall a lovely meal with polite friendly staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Connie W
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

Arrived to appologies that the heating was not working due to work being carried out on the gas supply. It came on later and after dinner the room was warm and the water hot. Trouble was that it went off later (by design or accident) and by morning the room and water were freezing cold. To add insult to injury breakfast was served on an icy cold plate so it was cold almost as soon as it reached the table. I am staying elsewhere on my next trip to chippenham.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank drewsworld
Orpington
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Other people staying in this hotel might easily give it a 4 star rating. However, based on my experience, I can give it 3 stars only.

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. There was plenty of parking. I arrived at 1600, was quickly checked in and into my room on the first floor in the main building. The room was lovely, warm and welcoming. Twin beds, one comfortable chair and another comfortable chair at the desk. There was a flat screen TV with Freeview channels and Sky Sports (1). There were tea & coffee making facilities, with biscuits. There was a lovely wooden wardrobe in one corner. The bathroom was spacious, with a bath and shower over it. The free wifi worked without any problems in my room.

Later I found the negative points. No view, except of skylights – not really a problem. However, the shower was lukewarm – the temperature control lever had no effect. Through trial and error I found that I could get a hot shower by turning the cold bath tap on – but then I got cold feet! The following morning at about 0425 I was ‘blasted’ by music coming from somewhere (OK, blasted is a bit strong but in the dead of night it sounded loud). I dressed and went down to the Reception/bar/restaurant area where I found a cleaner and a night porter. It emerged that the music was coming from the stereo system in the bar area and my room was above the bar. Presumably the cleaner had turned it on to listen to whilst vacuuming the restaurant! Obviously I was not amused and could not believe the staff in a hotel with that reputation could be so inconsiderate. The second night I was woken by loud voices and music coming from the bar area at about 0015. I complained to the night porter about the noise (no answer at Reception) – although the music was turned off, the voices did not stop until about 0100.

The restaurant was good – plenty of choice and tasty food though the service was variable. On the first night I received a jug of water but no glass and a dessert but no cutlery.

Breakfast was a buffet for cold food and hot food cooked to order. A good selection of cereals, yoghurts and pastries. However, the waiting staff seemed unable to cope easily with the influx of customers on the second morning. I gave up waiting for them to take my order for coffee so I went back to my room and used the kettle there.

I know I am a light sleeper so other people might not have been disturbed by the noise. However, it would be worth avoiding Stanton room (some rooms have names, most have numbers) and the rooms either side.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RossOrpington
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chippenham
Premier Inn Chippenham Hotel
Guyers House Hotel
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Corsham
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club

Been to Best Western Plus Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!