“Excellent stay and an excellent base”

Best Western Plus Angel Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Chippenham
Longfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay and an excellent base”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We needed a hotel which gave easy access to various National Trust properties in Wiltshire and this hotel was recommended by a member of the family. The situation was perfect and, although it was near a main road, the traffic did not disturb us overnight. All the staff (from reception on arrival to the restaurant and bar, and the cleaning staff) were so friendly and helpful. The restaurant food was nicely cooked and presented. The evening meals were good and were excellent value (although the pasta and risotto dishes were rather bland). As the menu did not change during our 3-night stay it would have been nice to have a few daily 'specials'. Breakfast was also good (although on our first day it looked as though they had run out of ham for the buffet and replaced it with cold bacon and on another day the ham was very dried out. All the rooms (bedroom and reception areas) were nicely decorated and furnished. There is also a nice, quiet, sheltered courtyard where you can have a drink or a light meal. I don't remember being asked if we needed disabled access when booking online - our rooms were on the 2nd floor of the new wing and there was no lift - this didn't affect us but some visitors could have had a problem. We didn't use the swimming pool but it didn't look very inviting from outside. We would definitely stay here again if we return to the same area.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new wing are good (we didn't see those in the main hotel) but if you can't...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Kidwelly
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed here for a family wedding before and after the wedding itself. As I'm in a wheelchair, I naturally asked for a disabled room. Unfortunately, even in 2013, hotels still think to class a room as disabled, all you need is a wider door to the bathroom (never mind, the room doorway is still the average size) and a grab rail or two in the bathroom itself. Due to our window overlooking a brick wall at the side of the hotel, the room was incredibly dark and gloomy, even with every lamp and light on. It also had a distinct "toilety" smell (I won't elaborate on that!!). It was a very hot room but thankfully the hotel had already provided a big fan, which was constantly on! The bathroom was very spacious with plenty of turning space for my wheelchair. BUT it had a very narrow bath with a shower above it. I couldn't access the bath without assistance from a relative as there was a metal handle smack bang in the middle of the side of the bath so I wasn't able to take my chair right up to the bath to transfer directly (due to a towel rail being on one end of the bath and the toilet at the other end). And another thing I've not experienced which may sound ridiculous was the toilet had a left handed flush which I couldn't reach when in my wheelchair so I had to flush the toilet whilst still sitting on it! The room was very clean and had good tea making facilities, iron and board, hairdryer etc. The bed, as usual, was very high for a wheelchair-user to access with ease but was comfortable other than that. I would say for a disabled room though, some furniture needs to be taken out - two armchairs, a bureau, chest of drawers, wardrobe, large coffee table and the bed meant less room for my wheelchair to man-oeuvre.

The grounds and setting of this hotel is lovely as it has a quaint little courtyard which connects the original and newest parts of the hotel. This was very clean, private and accessible for wheelchairs/buggies. However, in the original building which houses the reception, bar, function rooms etc, there are steps. So I couldn't take my wheelchair into every section of the bar area or to the reception itself. When I asked a member of staff about this, I was simply told "it's a listed building". The day before the wedding, my party decided we would utilise the on-site swimming pool. However, if you're disabled this is not possible as even though the swimming pool is housed in the newest part of the hotel, they have included a set of steps to take you down to the pool. So I had to park my wheelchair at the top of these steps and watched whilst the rest of my group went for a swim. There is a decent gym next to the swimming pool though which I could access, should I have felt the need to! Only hand towels are provided if you do take a swim too!

The security in the hotel is very good with corridors only being accessed by your room key. We did however find the locks/keys quite difficult to use at times! We had afternoon tea on the first day and breakfast on both days at the hotel which was adequate although the full english was a little disappointing as was the coffee and tea. The staff, including the maids, were always friendly and greeted us with smiles and pleasantries every time. I also used the disabled toilet in the main bar area and this was clean and quite spacious.

The hotel is situated in the middle of the shopping area and you can walk through the courtyard which leads out the shops with complete ease. But it doesn't feel like you're in the middle of town as there was no noise interference or any issues with non-guests. Plenty of restaurants are dotted around outside the hotel and it is within walking distance of the registry office, which is where the wedding we were attending was held. The hotel has an on-site car park which is quite small and on a slope but was adequate for the hotel size.

I would stay at this hotel again if the occasion needed but I would have to have an alternative bedroom.

Room Tip: If you are disabled, insist on a room other than 108!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Bristol
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here for 1 night after being in Castle Coombe and overral exeperience was pretty good. Room was big and bed very comfortable, although it was quite warm but we did have a fan to help. Had a few problems getting hot water through the shower, but managed to have a bath instead which was fine. We had a few drinks in the bar which were pretty overpriced but what you expect from a hotel. Breakfast was lovely in the morning, staff were always friendly and helpful. Location brilliant as right in town centre, so overral I would stay here again. Chris & Danielle.

Inkberrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Excellent visit- great staff, warm and friendly, extremely good value for money.
Good food - not fancy, could not failt our stay.
Beutiful gardens to sit in, great swimming pool. Good location in town centre and handy for M4 access.

• Stayed August 2013
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel from a Monday to Friday with my wife and 2 kids. It is a hotel we have used quite a bit in the past. The family room is very spacious and easy accessible with kids. The food on the whole was first class apart from 1 breakfast on the last morning. On the whole I would not hesitate to use this hotel again either on a business trip or with a family.

Room Tip: Family room for anyone with kids
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed two nights at this establishment.
We arrived at the 'new' wing of the hotel. It seemed a little strange wandering into a large atrium housing a stairwell, then through a courtyard and back into the 'old' building before finding the reception area. The staff were very pleasant and helpful.
We did feel a little uncomfortable walking through the courtyard area where a wedding party was gathering.
Our first night was spent in the 'new' wing. Our room was a good size and very clean. A warm room, but a fan was provided.
The bathroom fan was constantly going, but the noise was minimal with the door shut.

The wedding party dispersed by midnight and we were unaware of any music.
We ate in the restaurant, the food and service was good.

Second night was spent in the 'old' part of the hotel. The room was large and well presented although very hot. The windows were already open, but we had to close them as the music from a wedding downstairs was very loud, particularly the base. Once again the wedding music finished around midnight.
The beds were comfortable despite the fact that the sheets appeared to be a little small for the bed.

The Angel is situated right in the centre of Chippenham, a great location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago on a Friday night. This is the quieter part of town so if you're expecting a night life you need to cross town.
We stayed for 1 night, lovely room. Small but very cosy and well laid out. Beds were comfortable and we went out to wander around town. When we got back the night staff were very nice and friendly before we retired for out nights sleep.
Breakfast was very good and the staff were great. I would definitely recommend the hotel for a stay in beautiful surroundings.
My only gripe was that the Concierge seemed more interested in her phone than dealing with new or existing guests. It was a bit of a let down and both of us weren't very impressed with the service from front desk. This hotel would have got 4/5 but it was a let down to an otherwise great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chippenham
Bell House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Beanacre
White Hart Hotel
White Hart Hotel
#2 of 4 in Calne

Been to Best Western Plus Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!