“A country gem”

Ranked #8 of 31 Chippenham B&B and Inns
Liverpool, UK
“A country gem”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just had a family reunion here over the Bank Holiday weekend - a party of 12 (real and plastic) Scousers on the first night and 14 on the second night. What a great time we had. From the initial booking with Helen she's had everything under control and nothing was too much trouble. We arrived early and our rooms were all ready - and what lovely rooms they are too. My husband and I were in one of the little cottages in the garden where the resident cat liked to sun herself on the garden bench!
The food was lovely and the portions are MASSIVE - couldn't face a dessert despite them sounding delicious. The cooked breakfast was a proper breakfast - no "plastic" sausages or bacon here.
Helen's outgoing nature and sense of humour made for a fabulous weekend. Thank you very much Helen and all your hard working, friendly staff . .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sue C
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you, Sue, for such a wonderful review following your recent weekend stay with us. Reviews like yours make all of the hard work so worthwhile and we were delighted to meet members of your family and be involved in the reunion. I particularly enjoyed all the preparations beforehand and have missed the series of emails flying round since your departure! So glad that you enjoyed the whole package of meals and bed and breakfast and we often think that the suntrap and peace and quiet on the patio leading to the rooms has helped our lovely cat reach the grand old age of 24! Do please come back and see us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Fabulous from start to finish! A really warm welcome from Helen when we arrived; she immediately put us at ease with her sense of humour! We were staying in Wiltshire to celebrate my son's birthday; he and his girlfriend joined us at the Jolly Huntsman for dinner, and we all agreed that the quality of the produce, the cooking and the portion size were 10/10! The waiting staff were lovely; nothing was too much trouble for them, and they were very discreet. I was very impressed that a group of young people went about the job with such discipline and courtesy. Breakfast was fab; lovely thick-cut bacon, tasty sausage and perfectly cooked eggs. Thank you Adrian; your cheery disposition and talent in the kitchen are very much appreciated! Our room was clean, warm and comfortable; a cosy nest to return to after a bellyful of good food! Chris (husband no. 2, you know what I mean, Helen!) asked that I let you know how impressed he was with your range of real ales; if nothing else, he will come back for the beer!!

All in all, a lovely weekend. We will be back... :) Sam & Chris Greatorex xx

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sam G
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you Sam for such a lovely review which makes all of our hard work worthwhile. It was a pleasure to meet you both and excellent news that your meals and the range of beers went down well - grateful we did not have to deploy the wheelbarrow to return 'Husband No 2' to your room!!! We have passed your kind comments on to the team here - indeed quite how our Head Chef manages to be so cheerful first thing in the morning remains a mystery to us! We do hope that it wont be long before we welcome you all back again and thanks for being such lovely guests.
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I've tried a few places to stay as working in Chippenham - this is now my firm favourite. Lovely room (#11), warm welcome by the staff, excellent food and nice breakfast.

It was lovely to be woken by birdsong instead of traffic for a change. Having read previous reviews I would like to say I had no issue with the temperature of the room - very cosy (especially the bathroom), the wifi worked absolutely fine and I got a weak signal on O2 as well! I also got there early enough to park in the car park.

Dinner was lovely - opted for sea bass and a glass of wine - everything was well cooked and very tasty.

Room Tip: I can only comment on room 11. Spacious, well appointed and the shower room was large but toasty!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Shona B
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
How very lovely to receive your kind comments following your recent stay with us and we are delighted to know that we are your number one choice when staying in the area - thank you. So glad to hear that the room, breakfast and dinner were to your liking and hope it won't be long before we can welcome you back again!
Chippenham
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We visited the pub last weekend with some friends. The pub was busy and the atmosphere most pleasant. We ordered our meals and then waited and waited, customers at other tables were looking at watches wondering where their food was going to arrive. Not wanting to make a fuss we continued to wait. The food arrived well over an hour after ordering which I have to say was nothing special, just ok which surprised us a little after reading the reviews. Table next to us left most of their food and were also not impressed

Stayed March 2014
4 Thank John R
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thank you for your review following your visit to us last Saturday evening. I was sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations. Despite very carefully organising the timing of our bookings, we found that the majority of our diners turned up within a very short space of time and this did not give our wonderful kitchen team a fighting chance! You will appreciate that our food is freshly cooked to order and in busy periods we do ask for a little patience - it was exceptionally busy on the night in question as you mentioned and I can only apologise for the wait that you experienced. You are correct that the party dining on the next table to you also experienced a delay but they were more than happy with their meal and were infact rather disappointed that they had no room for desserts as our portion sizes were larger than they expected.
London
Reviewed 14 March 2014

this is a B&B and judges as such it is scored well. Stayed for a family occasion, along with other family and friends and we all had a friendly welcome. The staff were helpfuil and teh rooms were comfortable and clean. Our room did not have a shower screen over the bath, which would have been preferable - most people have showers nowadays.

Breakfast was good quality with a reasonable selection. one of our group had bought there own gluten free bread and the staff offered to toast it without being asked. The bar in teh evening is a local pub, and was friendly and good atmosphere. Parking is tight - but on road parking is available.

Best of all, we had left some stuff in teh room, and they were happy to box it up and allow a courier collection - most helpful.

You get exactly what you would expect.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review following your recent stay with us. Delighted to hear that you found the accommodation clean and comfortable and it was no problem at all to arrange the return of the property that you left behind - thank you for organising the courier to collect on your behalf. Your comments regarding the shower curtain are most helpful and have been taken on board - we are in the process of considering if it would be viable to fit framework in the bath area to accommodate this. Hope to welcome you again if you are in the area.
West Midlands
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed here last week for a night on business.
Had visited the pub before on a couple of lunchtimes and so I knew that the food etc was very good, but had never tried the rooms....

First issue, mentioned by someone else I believe, is the parking. Whilst I got parked relatively easily, within 10 minutes of arriving the car park was full and people were parking down the road on the high street. My guests arrived about 7pm and had a long walk to the pub. Maybe they should reserve the parking spaces at the rear for residents only as that would help matters.

The room was lovely. It was warm and inviting and for the price it was more than acceptable. Only two issues. The shower had seen better days and really needs to be replaced with a new one. Also the walls and ceiling (I was ground floor) were paper-thin. I really am not joking, I could hear everything happening in the bedroom above me!! This could affect light sleepers quite badly...

Had breakfast here the next morning which they allowed me to have a little earlier than the advertised 7-30 AM. It was really nice and is also good to see rules bend occasionally to help customers and their needs.

Overall, I would recommend this inn but maybe take ear-plugs.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mr Fereday
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you, Mr Fereday, for taking the trouble to leave a review following your recent stay with us.

We were sorry to learn that your guests had a long walk to reach us after parking - unfortunately we have never been blessed with a large car park and whilst we take on board your comments regarding the reservation of car parking spaces for residents, this is not something that would be practical.

The room in which you stayed was converted in 2012. The sound proofing issues that you experienced have prompted us to consider further measures with a Building Surveyor, albeit the alterations carried out at the time of conversion met all relevant Building Regulations. The large walk in shower was also newly installed at that time.

We pride ourselves on being customer orientated and are glad that we were able to accommodate you for an early breakfast - thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you again when you are in the area.
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Checked in last night after work and reserved table in the pub/restaurant, all OK so far, although car parking was tight on spaces and within minutes of my arrival all these were taken. Very snug and folks were double parked later on! Perhaps they should reserve some spaces for residents only?

Shown to my room which was on ground floor in the cottage (room 10). Advised the Wi-Fi code was posted on the notice, which it was. However, my iPad Wi-Fi could only see the pub router, not the one apparently in the accommodation block. Tried when in the room and the code did not work, so I could not get connected to the Wi-Fi in the room - BIG issue for me, as I am here on business and need to work in evening as well as stay in touch with friends and family.

No phone signal in room either, so with no Wi-Fi (and no hotel phone provided) meant I was effectively isolated once in the room. Not acceptable in 21st century!

The Wi-Fi does however work fine in the pub and I was able to connect here. Ate a 3 course meal in the pub, the food tasted nice and the portions were ample but I could not finish the meal.

Was subsequently very ill during the night and as this was the only meal I had taken that day I must assume my illness was caused by the food eaten at the pub.

As I was unable to sleep all night, I could therefore enjoy a good 8 hours of the NO WIFI facilities, no water, limited tea and coffee and a weak TV signal which resulted in intermittent breaking of the sound and pixelated video.

Room was also cold, although in truth this could have been because I felt unwell and was shivering. The pillows and mattress were too soft for me but may suit others.

Wardrobe was a half-sized cupboard with door that stuck and I "double-hung" my clothes to avoid them dragging on the floor. There was an iron and ironing board in there though which was a good addition.

Didn't want to chance the breakfast the next day so I just checked out. Was initially asked to pay for the full 2 nights (cheeky) but once I explained why I was leaving they were gracious enough not to insist on this.

I booked in for 2 nights here but left after 1 and would not return here. Perhaps I was unlucky, I know colleagues of mine have stayed here before and not had these issues. I would say this may suit guys more than gals, it is rather "rough and ready" and lacking the basic standards that business travellers are entitled to expect (ie facilities working as advertised and a reasonable chance of a good nights sleep). I've stayed in other local pub B&B's so have a realistic expectation - this would not be 5 * hotel - but was sorely disappointed by the quality of my stay here.

Room Tip: Don't take room 10
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kay G
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay here. We would like to respond to your comments as follows:-

Our car park does have limited parking spaces but there is usually ample on road parking as well, to be found right outside the front of the pub, on the main street through the village. Reserving resident parking spaces would not be practical and whilst you were not inconvenienced with any double parking that you mention, I see this point as irrelevant.

After you were shown to your room, you returned to the main bar area as you were unable to log on to the wifi network. Our Bar Manager returned with you to your room, whereupon it was discovered that the access code you had input to your device was incorrect. I was informed that the situation was resolved by his visit and I was not aware that you experienced any further problems connecting to the wifi until you checked out the next morning.

As with numerous other rural villages, some mobile telephone providers have better coverage than others and there is little more we can say on this subject, being that it is not within our control. You would, however, have been more than welcome to use our landline if you had importance business to attend to.

Glad that you enjoyed your meal and as our portion sizes are more than generous, I was not surprised to learn that you did not finish all three courses! I was somewhat disheartened that you chose to blame our kitchen for the self-diagnosis of your subsequent illness, especially when all of our food is cooked to order and we maintain an exceptional standard of hygiene and cleanliness. I cannot comment further on your unsubstantiated assumption that it was your meal that caused you to be unwell.

Thank you for bringing the pixellated TV to our attention and we have this morning employed the services of our local television engineer to investigate the service provided. This could have been due to a booster problem, although we had no other reports of problems with the televisions - the booster has been replaced and all appears to be working well. You mention that you had no water in your room and I can only assume that you did not find the water glasses on the hospitality tray in your room, together with enough supplies for four mugs of tea and four mugs of coffee, adequate we would have thought for one person on an overnight stay. if you had wished for bottled mineral water to take to your room, you only had to ask.

We were sorry to learn that your clothes required to be double hung - having seen the configuration of the room, you will be aware that trying to fit a bulky wardrobe in would have compromised on the other pieces of furniture such as the desk etc which we felt to be more important for our business guests. The clothes rail in the cupboard has always served guests more than adequately - it is a deep cupboard and the rail affords plenty of hanging space.

When you arrived in the morning (we thought to have breakfast), the landlord, being aware that you were staying for two nights, was initially surprised that you approached him in order to check out - he was obviously not aware of the reasons for your departure until you enlightened him. As you will appreciate, there are times when guest schedules change and cancellation fees require to be paid and this was his reason for questioning your early departure until you conversed with him. It was at this point that he rightly made the decision not to make a charge for the second night's stay because you were so dissatisifed.

Whilst we were sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we did object to your comments that the accommodation provided at our lovely village inn was 'rough and ready'. More the case, we would suggest, that it was just not what you expected and from the point of your arrival, judging by the manner in which you addressed our staff, your realisation that the bed and breakfast facilities at our traditional village inn were not what you expected meant that there was never going to be successful outcome to your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chippenham
Premier Inn Chippenham Hotel
#3 of 8 in Chippenham
Guyers House Hotel
Guyers House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Corsham

Been to The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!