“Very Disappointing”

The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 31 Chippenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked this trip well in advance & had been looking forward to it for some time. I chose this establishment for its convenient location to the social event that I was attending and unfortunately this was the only thing that lived up to my expectation.
I decided to make a day of it & set off early specifically so that I could enjoy lunch in the pub. Unfortunately the traffic was heavy & I missed the exit to the village because of roadworks, arriving at 7minutes passed 2pm I was told that I was too late for lunch (despite the fact that I was a resident & I counted at least four kitchen staff on site), forcing me to drive in an unfamiliar area for an alternative. Upon returning to my allocated room (no 7) it became apparent that once again despite booking well in advance I had been penalised for being a solo female traveller by being put into a room which frankly, to be polite, has seen better days & at £65 per night paying only £15 less than a couple for the same room I expected more. I would have requested to move had I been able to find anyone on my return, but the pub was closed & nobody was around.
The decor was very tired with frayed carpets, chipped and scuffed utilitarian furniture & a slightly unloved feel about it. The socket behind the bedside table which I wanted to plug the bedside light into was loose & coming away from the wall. The lock had been removed from the bathroom door leaving a hole & it wouldn't close properly either. The shower was a hose attachment on the taps which was too short to hang from the wall had their been somewhere to attach it to. I had to shower like a 5 year old with a sponge down sitting in the bath & then trying to wash off the lather without turning the bathroom into a swimming pool. The towels were old and smelt damp & slightly musty when used. As indicated by other reviewers the noise of heavy footsteps from the rooms above can be heard clearly, as could the water from the facilities which must have been carried down behind my bedroom wall as it sounded like a waterfall every time a tap was turned on.
I could go on, but having read the response from the owners to other reviewers I'm sure they will disagree with my observations (I did take photographs) and neither apologise or offer a refund. Suffice to say I shall vote with my feet and next time I am in the area stay at the premier inn up the road. I am all for supporting independent traders but only when they rise to occasion.
The staff were pleasant and the breakfast was good & had I been asked when checking out if I had enjoyed my stay I would have told them my concerns. Upon paying the bill I was told "that is just £65". It may just be £65 to you but it is money that I had to work hard for & you didn't work hard enough to take it from me. Improve your standards or charge less, you can't have it both ways.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us on Saturday. I would address the points raised in your review as follows:-

I am sorry that you were not able to order lunch on your arrival. We shut at 2.30pm and have to have a cut off point of sorts. There were two remaining kitchen staff clearing down when you arrived, one of which showed you to your room. I have addressed this point with our General Manager and advised him that as a resident, you should have been offered even a sandwich at that point. We always go out of our way to accommodate late comers and I can only apologise for the service that you received.

I cannot agree that you were 'penalised' for being a solo female traveller. You were allocated room 7 as you had requested an early check in (in order to watch Wimbledon) and the previous occupants of the room had left early on Saturday morning, allowing us to service the room and ensure that it was ready for your early arrival. I was here all day on Saturday and spent the afternoon checking other residents in. You may not have noticed the door bell at the side door that clearly states it is there for 'room bookings and a residents' contact point during the times that we are closed'. Had you operated this door bell, I would have gladly addressed your concerns at that time. I spoke with you early on Saturday evening when you came into the main pub before going out to your function. Having asked you what I could get for you, you responded rather rudely with 'nothing' and turned straight round and left. Surely this might have been the time to converse with me that you were not happy?

The issues raised relating to maintenance of the rooms I have taken on board. Thank you for pointing out the problem with the electrical plug - this has now been rectified. The bathroom has never hosted a shower due to the configuration of internal walls, but the shower head does allow for hair washing etc and has never been attached to the wall. The towels that you refer to as being musty were brand new on Saturday morning. They were ordered on Monday last week, arrived with us mid-week and were washed and tumble dried on Friday, ready for use at the weekend when every room had new towels. I can only surmise that being new, the towels still had a slightly 'packaged' smell despite having been washed.

You mention that you were not asked if you had enjoyed your stay. Having spoken to our member of staff that checked you out, he tells me that he enjoyed a conversation with you regarding your partner working overseas and that he asked if you enjoyed your stay. You did not mention any issues at this point. The reasoning behind the 'that is just £65' request is that the vast majority of guests dine with us and settle their dinner and bar bills along with the room bill the following morning. For those guests who have been out to functions and not had a drink or meal in the bar, 'just £65' relates to the fact that there is just the room bill to settle and does not in any way devalue the sum of £65 as being insignificant.

I am sorry you consider that we did not work hard enough towards the enjoyment of your stay. There are many negative issues in your review but the fact that we stored your specialist milk and cooked you a different breakfast in line with your dietary requirements have not been mentioned, nor the fact that we ensured an early check in for you.

We don't get it right all of the time but its not through a lack of trying - I can assure you that we try very very hard to go the extra mile and I am sorry that in your opinion, we failed on this occasion.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our first stay here. Very welcoming, rooms very comfortable, lovely and clean. Food was excellent,fantastic choice cooked perfectly and all the staff are very friendly and attentive. We had such a lovely stay that we are hoping to return next year. X

• Stayed: May 2014
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thanks so much for all of your kind compliments following your recent visit to us and we were delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Hoping it won't be long before we can welcome you back again!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

A great B&B in the lovely quiet village of Kington St Michael. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the bar has a real community feel. The food was excellent and plentiful, with some interesting things on the menu. The kangaroo steak was cooked expertly! The beer in the pub is also worthy of mention, plenty to choose from and all in top condition. Rooms were comfortable and the shower was powerful and hot.
Would recommend booking a table if you intend to eat, it gets busy!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamOfTheDockyard
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you most sincerely for your glowing review following your recent visit to us - we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, meal and drinks with us - it's lovely to receive such positive feedback and makes all of the hard work worthwhile. Hoping it will not be long before we can welcome you back and thanks again for your compliments.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have been staying here for a night on our way to or from Devon for the past 14 years and The Jolly Huntsman has become a very important part of our twice yearly holidays. I really cannot praise Helen, Simon and their staff highly enough, not forgetting Adrian! The accommodation, cleanliness, food and friendly atmosphere just cannot be improved upon, long may you keep going Helen!!

Room Tip: My husband and I favor room 6 and our daughter room 4. Quiet and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you, Ray, for such a wonderful review. Indeed, we always look forward to welcoming you and the family en-route to your holidays (and somehow, you always manage to bring good weather with you!!) Guests like you make it all worthwhile and we are so proud of the repeat business we have built up over the years and the lovely friends like yourselves that we have made. Look forward to seeing you all again before too long.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Continuing with what Sue C said of our reunion, she is spot on with her comments.
Helen, the proprietor extraordinaire, stands way and above any other. From the moment we arrived to when we checked out, she treated us with a warmth and friendship the likes of which I have rarely experienced before. The staff, from the bar to the chefs and waiters and the cleaning staff, were all very friendly and helpful and contributed to a relaxing stay.
The menu was extensive and the food was delicious, served as ordered without any delays.
There is also a wide range of real ales and ciders as well as the normal ones.
We will definately be returning.
Again, many thanks to Helen for making our reunion a complete success.

Room Tip: Everyone was pleased with their rooms, so I think you would be happy whichever one you are given
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ralph t
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you Ralph for your exceptionally kind comments and as the main organiser of your reunion weekend - it was a pleasure to meet you all and to be involved in the festivities. I have passed your kind comments on to the team here - its always lovely to have such appreciative and friendly guests and we all enjoyed the company of your party very much. I do miss our emails! Hoping it wont be long before we can welcome you again.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just had a family reunion here over the Bank Holiday weekend - a party of 12 (real and plastic) Scousers on the first night and 14 on the second night. What a great time we had. From the initial booking with Helen she's had everything under control and nothing was too much trouble. We arrived early and our rooms were all ready - and what lovely rooms they are too. My husband and I were in one of the little cottages in the garden where the resident cat liked to sun herself on the garden bench!
The food was lovely and the portions are MASSIVE - couldn't face a dessert despite them sounding delicious. The cooked breakfast was a proper breakfast - no "plastic" sausages or bacon here.
Helen's outgoing nature and sense of humour made for a fabulous weekend. Thank you very much Helen and all your hard working, friendly staff . .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue C

Thank you, Sue, for such a wonderful review following your recent weekend stay with us. Reviews like yours make all of the hard work so worthwhile and we were delighted to meet members of your family and be involved in the reunion. I particularly enjoyed all the preparations beforehand and have missed the series of emails flying round since your departure! So glad that you enjoyed the whole package of meals and bed and breakfast and we often think that the suntrap and peace and quiet on the patio leading to the rooms has helped our lovely cat reach the grand old age of 24! Do please come back and see us again in the future.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Fabulous from start to finish! A really warm welcome from Helen when we arrived; she immediately put us at ease with her sense of humour! We were staying in Wiltshire to celebrate my son's birthday; he and his girlfriend joined us at the Jolly Huntsman for dinner, and we all agreed that the quality of the produce, the cooking and the portion size were 10/10! The waiting staff were lovely; nothing was too much trouble for them, and they were very discreet. I was very impressed that a group of young people went about the job with such discipline and courtesy. Breakfast was fab; lovely thick-cut bacon, tasty sausage and perfectly cooked eggs. Thank you Adrian; your cheery disposition and talent in the kitchen are very much appreciated! Our room was clean, warm and comfortable; a cosy nest to return to after a bellyful of good food! Chris (husband no. 2, you know what I mean, Helen!) asked that I let you know how impressed he was with your range of real ales; if nothing else, he will come back for the beer!!

All in all, a lovely weekend. We will be back... :) Sam & Chris Greatorex xx

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sam G
JollyHuntsman, Owner at The Jolly Huntsman Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you Sam for such a lovely review which makes all of our hard work worthwhile. It was a pleasure to meet you both and excellent news that your meals and the range of beers went down well - grateful we did not have to deploy the wheelbarrow to return 'Husband No 2' to your room!!! We have passed your kind comments on to the team here - indeed quite how our Head Chef manages to be so cheerful first thing in the morning remains a mystery to us! We do hope that it wont be long before we welcome you all back again and thanks for being such lovely guests.