“We go for the soft play”
Review of Mill House

Mill House
Ranked #86 of 116 Restaurants in Chippenham
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

To be honest you get what you pay for

The food is cheap and therefore ok

The staff could be better

But the soft play is good and when you have 3 under 5 and they can play while you wait for food that's always a bonus

If you haven't got kids I'd say go somewhere else

Agree with other reviews about people leaving their children to play and ignoring them, which as a parent bugs me even more!

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Worst service I had ever received at one of these places!! Waited over an hour for our meals and when I asked a waitress how much longer my meal was going to be (I had 2 drinks while I was waiting and I had to pay for parking!!!) she returned from the kitchen and said it would 'be as long as a place of string' .... Speechless!! Of course that didn't go down very well... I immediately cancelled my order and requested my money back as they couldn't tell me how long my meal was going to be!! I would highly recommend going a little further down the road to the Rowden Arms aka Hungry Horse if your looking for a decent, reasonable priced meal and polite service!!!

3  Thank Chiplass13
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Mill House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Chiplass13

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Mill House in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Fayre & Square

Reviewed 21 March 2014

You have to pay to park, you have to queue to buy a drink, you have to queue to buy food and you have to wait for the food. I found the food great, very cheap and nicely presented and the understaffed overworked staff were polite and business like but with a massive number of local businesses, Sainsburys opposite and a large NEXT retail shop opposite this place was ridiculously understaffed. I sense the business model of this place needs to change.

1  Thank BladderedBath
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Mill House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear BladderedBath

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Mill House who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board and passed it to the relevant teams.

We do hope to see you soon in the Mill House soon.

Kind regards,

Fayre & Square

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Popped in for a quick bite to eat with my partner on Sunday, expected it to be really busy given what a glorious day it had been so was surprised to find it was very quiet, soon became apparent why!

We found a table, chose our food then I went to the bar to order. Was amazed to find 5 young girls (I guess under 6) running around the place unsupervised, even more surprised to find them running behind the bar, pinching ice and then putting their fingers in the lemons (glad my drink didn’t include lemon!), Craig was the chap serving and he was trying to move the children on but without much success, he managed to shoo them out from one end of the bar only for them to come round the other side! They then proceeded to climb all over the bar stools by the bar!

I ordered food and drinks and returned to my table at which point the children decided to start running round the area we were sat, climbing over furniture and generally making a lot of noise and being a nuisance.

It became apparent the children were part of a group of adults who during this time were ignoring them which was probably down to the fact they were too busy drinking and creating a commotion to be aware of what was happening with the children. At one stage, one of the children stood on a bar stool and fell off, cue lots of tears but 30 seconds later was stood back on the very same stool!

Whilst I’m not trying to suggest your establishment is a crèche, I would at the very least expected a member of staff to have a word with the group and bring the children under control, unfortunately the only discussions the group had with the bar staff was when ordering more drinks! It did appear as if Craig behind the bar knew the people involved which if true in my opinion is dreadful. Surely it the responsibility of your staff not to serve drinks to customers who are already well oiled and are spoiling the enjoyment for other customers?

1  Thank Jasonp69
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Really impressed with service, even bringing a slice of lime to the table after running out at the bar!! Food was very good quality, and excellent value for money! Will definitely be returning!