“Great quality at a good price”
Review of Memory Of Beijing - CLOSED

Memory Of Beijing
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I've eaten at this restaurant now on a number of occasions and have always found the food and service to be excellent.

The restaurant is relatively small and situated on the way in to Chippenham with limited on street parking nearby.

The restaurant offers a buffet style menu which is cooked to order. In my view this makes it a far superior offering to the usual help yourself from a metal swimming tin affair.

Cooking to order doesn't significantly affect the number of choices available and the £14.50 per adult & £8.95 per child price tag feels reasonable for the quality of food and service you are receiving.

The selection of food here is quite varied and you're almost guaranteed to find something to your taste with options for meat eaters, vegetarians or those who like their food more or less spicy.

Drinks don't feel overly expensive either so you shouldn't have too big a shock at the end of your evening.

Colin is a very welcoming host and happy to recommend various menu items according to your taste.

The restaurant is open from 6pm, but please be aware that it does not open on a Sunday anymore which is a bit of a shame.

Overall an excellent restaurant serving good quality food for a reasonable price and more than happy to recommend it.

5  Thank Alex_J43

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I have been here several times over the last year or so and have always found the food and the service to be very good. I have found the food to be very consistent on all the visits. The menu is good with lots of choice. The staff are always friendly and helpful.
I also found the drinks a bit on the expensive side as mentioned in another review but still a very good night.

2  Thank handy180
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Was travelling through on a work assignment on the 28/01/14 and decided to fill a hole basically, hence stopped at this restaurant. I am very familiar with Chinese food having been in two long term relationships with Chinese women and long work assignments in the far east, hence tend to be sarcastic of the fare served up to western impressions of Chinese food. I actually accept a lower quality knowing that its geared up to western tastes and ignorance.
Was I so pleasantly surprised to find an obscure restaurant in an obscure part of Britain that actually served Chinese food that I usually get from selected restaurants in Manchester Chinatown. The tastes were delicate and varied and the far east re-visited in mouthfuls. I did more then just fill a hole, I enjoyed doing so too! The restaurant appeared pleasantly decorated and service was efficient and unobtrusive.
I am surprised to find such authenticity in this hamlet of Wiltshire and it will be a definite part of future work forays into Wiltshire. I just wonder if the local populace are aware of this nugget tucked in a corner of their world or are pandered to cos are aware of quality Chinese cuisine!

2  Thank AshmanUK
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I would like to start by saying I have enjoyed a couple of meals in the restaurant with groups of friends a few years ago. The food was fairly good with reasonable service and nothing to complain about.

Well my family ordered a take-away from here on a Tuesday night when all the other Chinese takeaways were closed and we all looked forward to a delicious, filling meal.

How wrong we were...

Well as it turned out, this became the worst Chinese take-away any of us can remember having. Most of the food was devoid of any real flavor, meat that should have been crispy was chewy and slimy, all a massive disappointment. The only part of the meal I enjoyed was the crispy Won Ton, which was fresh and tasty. Needless to say, most of the dishes ended in the bin and we had to make another meal for our dinner instead.

Their menu was promptly binned and none of us will ever be ordering from here again. I hate to have to write such a bad review but I really would not wish this on anybody when there are far better Chinese takeaways in the local area.

1  Thank Iain M
Reviewed 7 August 2013

loved my trip to the memory of beijing, but the prices were just a bit steep on the drinks for me, would recommend it, but only if you have your own coke at home!

2  Thank Critic_Jack