“Cheap cheerful chow ”

Rowden Arms
Ranked #70 of 109 Restaurants in Chippenham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Cheap cheerful chow ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

You know what to expect from a hungry horse and this continued the ethos of delivering decent no frills food at cheap prices. My food was very nice and the place was clean and staff quite attentive. The carpark however left a lot to be desired and the exterior as a whole looked quite tired.

1 Thank nemesisseekingahero

wiltshire
“how to get the best reveiws!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Firstly deliver the correct order. My steak was delivered with a baked potato & greens when I had ordered chips etc. The waitress was very apologetic, therefore I accepted the dish. She returned later to ask if everything was OK to which I had to inform her that the steak was too tough to eat and there was a long human hair on my plate. She removed my supper and brought back another tough steak with a very dry baked potato!! Wot no chips. By then I gave up and took the steak home for the dog, she loved it.
although the food was poor the wine & service was good.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank freddy20446
Chippenham
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and me decided upon eating out Sunday lunch for a pleasant change. No prep. No washing up! After three attempts at finding a table we ended up on this busy day at the Rowden Arms Hungry Horse. We were shown to our table, we decided what we wanted, went to the bar paid and collected our drinks. Thirty five minutes later after two enquiries as to the whereabouts of meal as two customers who arrived after us and received their meal a. great earlier than us. Twenty minutes later to plates of what can only be described 'not as described' in the menu. Deep fried potatoes that were meant to be 'roast' potatoes. Average carrots and peas and cauliflower cheese that was left swimming in er um gravy? The beef was a chewy and the Yorkshire pudding had been microwaved and it lay limp on the top. It was possibly the worst meal I have experienced! I asked to see the manager. He sent a waitress who said she would speak to the chef. The chef sent the waitress to offer ice cream. We declined not being five years old. Another waitress was despatched who said she would send the manager, he failed to turn up and hiding behind the bar he sent another waitress who offered our money back. Finally a further twenty minutes later we got our money back. We left the Hungry horse HUNGRY! Thank goodness it wasn't a happy eater!!
Seriously don't bother. Poor service, poor food, poor management.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Thich T
Chippenham, England
“Visit on Fathers Day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We went to the Rowden Arms in Chippenham for fathers day and the experience was OK. The restaurant was petty busy but the service was good and we didn't have to wait too long. The food turned up without not too much waiting. I had lasagna which was fairly dry as I think it was left waiting a bit before they could deliver it due to the large amount of orders they were doing.

My wife has to limit her intake of wheat and even though the LEMON MERINGUE CAKE was marked as gluten free we do not thing the pastry was so be warned and the staff couldn't confirm it did not contain wheat which to their credit they went to the kitchen to check.

The hungry horse is very much a chain but but the food was hot and the service was OK and with the 15% off voucher I could not complain.

• Visited June 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Rowden Arms.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just been refurbished. Food good and portions very decent size. Service good and good selection of beers/ lagers on draught.

Visited March 2014