“Pleasantly surprised ”

Price range: US$7 - US$33
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We visited while we were staying at a local caravan site. We weren't really expecting anything great but we were pleasantly surprised. The food was good quality home made fare, in fact it was so nice we visited twice and between us enjoyed a variety of dishes. All were tasty, plentiful and presented well, so give it a try it is definitely worth it. Also the owner was a lovely friendly young woman and very helpful .

jay b, General Manager at The Plough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for your time on writing a review we are very pleased to read this we are glad you enjoyed your time here with us. We hope you had a pleasant stay at the caravan park and hope to see you in the future. The plough team :)

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Together with a group of friends I have been a regular visitor to The Plough for several years. We always enjoyed our monthly evening visits until the previous manager retired. My first visit under the new management was in November 2013 – there weren't many customers (two of whom were watching football on the TV – which I am glad I could not hear). Anyway, the food was hot, fresh and of good quality but served on a stone cold plate – an absolute no-no in my opinion. I mentioned this to the manger but he was indifferent, mumbling "it came from a warm kitchen".

Our first visit of 2014 was in March. The service was friendly and the food good, from a reasonable menu selection. We noticed that our table surface was sticky (as if it had been wiped with a dirty cloth). We mentioned this to the waitress who seemed not to take it seriously. Our May meal was also good but the table top still felt a little tacky – it was a different table. For our June meeting we took advantage of the fine weather and occupied one of the outdoor tables (most of which are old and a bit tatty). There were not many customers but maybe they were watching the World Cup at home or elsewhere? The menu appeared to have changed and had less of the dishes I would like. I chose the steak & ale pie which turned out to be poor – the vegetables were stale, not particularly warm and had the taste and appearance of having been cooked some time earlier and then warmed up for my meal. The pie itself was stale and chewy, giving me the impression that not only had it been over cooked on a previous occasion but had been reheated for me. I should have mentioned this to the waitress when she asked if it was OK but I was in deep conversation with my friends and just said that it was, in order not to loose the discussion thread.

We have decided to try a different location for our meetings in future.

1  Thank Paul H
jay b, General Manager at The Plough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your review, our tables have been sanded down, so they are nice and smooth now as for the food it would have been nice for you to tell us you where not satisfied and we would have made you something else, our steak pie is very popular and that is the first time we have had a complaint about it. We are sorry you where not satisfied and we have taken everything you have said on board. Thank you

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely meal with my friends, really enjoyed the atmosphere and the staff where lovely. Great customer service and choices on specials. Heard some lovely things about the pub; now I have visited I can truly say, it's the place to go for great food and service :)

2  Thank SnWiltshire
jay b, General Manager at The Plough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for a great review we are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you again

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Arrived at The Plough at 1240 and ordered drinks. Then ordered 2 meals at 1245. Other people around us also ordered meals at about the same time. We waited and other people were served their meals. I went back to the bar and it became clear that the meals order had not been sent to the kitchen. We waited again and after an hour my wife asked the waiter what was happening with our meals and he said that the chef said that it would be another 20 minutes. So we told him to forget it and cancelled the order. The only mitigating factor was that the barman zeroed our bar bill for our trouble. The pub was not overly busy but the service was awful.

We are sorry to read this and I have spoken to the staff who where on shift this day but as to say we where not busy we where it was bank holiday Monday our customers where warned there would be a wait and our customers seemed ok with that but if your order was lost we are genuinely sorry. Thank you for your review

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Had previously gone to the Plough, just after it had change hand, and the menu was rubbish. When we saw the signs new menu we gave it another try and had jacket potatoes but the cheese was stringy and tasteless. Had a reply today "Thank you for your review we now have a menu with a wide range which we like to change from season to season" so we thought the menu would have been updated but it was exactly the same and we couldn't see any changes so I wouldn't bother going back and also I think the wine has increased in price!!!!!!

jay b, General Manager at The Plough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for your review our new is in process we are sorry you didn't like the cheese if this had been addressed we would of happily changed your meal and as of the wine it's like everything suppliers go up so we have to put our prices up.