“Mediocre ( at best )”

Ranked #2 of 22 Newton Abbot B&B and Inns
Loocyloo
“Mediocre ( at best )”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Visited Bickley for the first time in about three years last Wednesay with a friend, for dinner. Very average all round. My friend and I ordered 2 G&Ts. First grumble - all of the tonic was poured into the glass. I'm an adult - I can pour my own tonic in and thereby decide how much or how little I want added to the gin. We were then offered a seat in the "snug" which we accepted, not really expecting to still be there 30 minutes later. When we were shown to our table the food arrived pretty quickly but we weren't offered any drinks or to be shown the wine list, we had to ask. My main course was OK (just) but the pudding was pretty grim - we shared a chocolate torte with caramelised hazlenuts ( only 2 hazlenuts were served ! ) The torte itself was dry and was more of a chocolate fudge cake than torte and it tasted as though it had been made with cheap cooking chocolate. All in all , quite a disappointing experience. I haven't been to the Bickley Mill since the new owners took over and I won't be hurrying back either

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Loocyloo_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Praze-An-Beeble, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My first time of visiting but it certainly will not be the last if Saturday evening was anything to go by.

The food was amazing from the starter to the desert. The service fast and the staff all friendly and polite, I will definitely be returning for my garlic mushroom starter and my tai green vegetable curry main course which was the best I have had.

Simply fantastic.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gareth H
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

2nd time I've stayed here. Very friendly, Very comfortable. Great food, Great service. Individually design bedrooms. Mobile phone signal very poor, but that was great. Free wi-fi in all areas. So much better than staying in one of the big chains.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

As title suggests, the food was pretty good and worth recommending but the service from start to finish was terrible.

Waiting with dirty plates for 30mins between courses, forgetting to cook of the main courses, promising to bring kids puddings quickly as they were bored with all the long waits and then bringing the kids puddings after the adults.

Generally being ignored by all the staff. No one seemed to have responsibility for our table.

Accepting payment by Amex then calling hours later to say they didn't accept Amex, but when we called to sort out they admitted they did take Amex and had billed the card already???

• Stayed February 2014
James W, Owner at The Bickley Mill, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent visit. I am sorry that you felt that the service was awful but in our defence, we came back to your table repeatedly but didn't clear it as one of your party hadn't finished eating. We admit that the service wasn't up to its usual standard,we made a decision to accommodate four tables that had accidentally booked Bickleigh Mill in Tiverton thinking they had booked with us. They all turned up at the same time and it was difficult to turn them away. I am sorry this had a knock-on effect.
Regarding the card payment, we had to take payment the manual way as our card processing machine had broken down, adding to the pressure of an already busier than usual lunchtime. We called you to say that the card payment couldn't be taken that way and then took the payment from the said card after the machine had been mended. I am sorry if this was a problem for you. It was our intention to rectify the situation, not to exasperate it. Thank you for your for the positive feedback about the food.
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We made a last minute decision to eat out for Sunday lunch so hadn't booked anywhere. We arrived at the Bickley Mill to a very friendly welcome by the Maitre D'. We were offered a table by an open fire which was very much appreciated given the bad weather. Very quick service meant we were soon enjoying a steak in ale pie, which was succulent and tasty ( I like to think I am a bit of a connoisseur on pies) and a rib eye steak, which my husband told me was the tastiest he had eaten in a while. The vegetables were plentiful and varied but I would say, lacked seasoning. That aside, a very enjoyable meal with warm, friendly service at a reasonable price. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This was out third time at The Bickley mill. The second was for the Christmas menu. The best Christmas meal I have eaten out.
Last night we had the slow roast belly pork lovely.
The service excellent, despite a party of 40in the function room we did not have to wait very long for our delicious food. The Maitrde and waitresses very helpful and unflappable.
Although off the beaten track the place was busy in the restaurant.
Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights B&B basis. After a long journey we were welcomed by very friendly and helpful staff. We sat in the bar if front of the lovely open fire, drinking great beer and wine. We had a meal in the restaurant which was truly delicious. I would definitely recommend Bickley Mill for a stay. It has everything you could want. It has charm, character, great beers and wines, great food. Lovely rooms. Faultless. We will be back.

• Stayed January 2014
The Edgemoor Country House Hotel
Old Church House Inn
Old Church House Inn
#4 of 22 in Newton Abbot

Been to The Bickley Mill? Share your experiences!