“As kitchen closing uncooked food!”
Review of The Bickley Mill

The Bickley Mill
Ranked #2 of 24 Newton Abbot B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We rang to book a table and 2.45 and we got there about ten minutes late. We were told the kitchen was closing so we had to quickly order our food, which was absolutely fine with us. When we got our food, my fish was uncooked, so we told the staff, which came and took meal away . All they did was stuck it in microwave !! Felt very disappointed as I've had previous meals and they've been great. The meals aren't cheap either . Would think twice about returning !!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenny M
James W, Owner at The Bickley Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Jenny M
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments on your recent visit. I am sorry that the fish was slightly undercooked, I wish to clarify that on no occasion would we ever put fish in a microwave. It was placed in our Rational oven which cooks at a very high temperature. We wouldn't get the reviews and customers that we do get if we cooked our fish in a microwave! I also wish to state that I wouldn't be employing a Chef whom would send out food undercooked because he was in a hurry to leave work!
I am sorry if this incident has put you off coming again, we served over 100 covers on Sunday lunchtime and it is very unfortunate for us that the only negative comment we have got happens to be the person who reviews us on Trip advisor.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed one night and ate dinner in the restaurant on the same evening.

Perfectly pleasant, clean and well decorated bedrooms. Comfortable bed, good shower and decent tea tray. TV was little small, but I’m being very picky here. Wireless network was also good and free.

The staff were very friendly and polite – the two ladies running the bar/restaurant area were very efficient and welcoming and the food was solid modern British fare. Nothing truly memorable one way or the other. A good menu – not too much choice, but some good quality on it. It must have been up to standard because I had a dessert, always a sign that I’m happy with the previous two courses.

The local ale is very good also.

I would return without hesitation.

1  Thank KnightGuest
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here for 1 night only, wished it had been for 2 or 3. The hotel is lovely, very clean and the bedrooms and bathroom are lovely. The restraunt is excellent. Service although slightly slow was very good. Would I return, yes I would love to holiday here for a few nights. I stayed on business and found the hotel to be excellent. Value for money brilliant compared to other hotels in the area. This hotel would be a good base if you want to travel around Devon.

1  Thank CUBAFANStokeOnTrent
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here last Sunday after visiting the Teddy Bear Fair in Newton Abbott. The room was very clean. The evening meal was very good and reasonable priced. The staff were very friendly and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed at the Bickly MIll as we were in the area on business and we were allocated the room haytor which was lovely and cosy and very clean.We were greeted by Laura who was very friendly and efficient and catered for our every need, she even lit a log fire for us and helped us choose our evening meal. The food was delicious and both drinks and the meal were reasonably priced. The inn is beautifully restored and i would highly recommend it to anyone .All in all it was a pleasure to stay there and excellent value for money...we will be back i'm sure.

Room Tip: Haytor is spacious and very cosy with a little patio
1  Thank Joanne G
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Visited Bickley for the first time in about three years last Wednesay with a friend, for dinner. Very average all round. My friend and I ordered 2 G&Ts. First grumble - all of the tonic was poured into the glass. I'm an adult - I can pour my own tonic in and thereby decide how much or how little I want added to the gin. We were then offered a seat in the "snug" which we accepted, not really expecting to still be there 30 minutes later. When we were shown to our table the food arrived pretty quickly but we weren't offered any drinks or to be shown the wine list, we had to ask. My main course was OK (just) but the pudding was pretty grim - we shared a chocolate torte with caramelised hazlenuts ( only 2 hazlenuts were served ! ) The torte itself was dry and was more of a chocolate fudge cake than torte and it tasted as though it had been made with cheap cooking chocolate. All in all , quite a disappointing experience. I haven't been to the Bickley Mill since the new owners took over and I won't be hurrying back either

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Loocyloo_10
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My first time of visiting but it certainly will not be the last if Saturday evening was anything to go by.

The food was amazing from the starter to the desert. The service fast and the staff all friendly and polite, I will definitely be returning for my garlic mushroom starter and my tai green vegetable curry main course which was the best I have had.

Simply fantastic.

#31 of 85 in Torquay
Bulleigh Barton Manor
Bulleigh Barton Manor
#1 of 2 in Ipplepen

Been to The Bickley Mill? Share your experiences!