“Excellent Hotel”
Review of The Bickley Mill

The Bickley Mill
Ranked #2 of 24 Newton Abbot B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at the Bickley Mill in April for 5 nights and were delighted in our choice. Whilst I made a cursory glance at Trip Advisor before booking, I felt that it satisfied all our requirements; an old establishment in a rural location, full of character, with very good food and service. We were absolutely correct in our choice and therefore I am pleased to be able to reflect our positive experiences through Trip Advisor. So this review is not only to thank the Hotel and it's staff for everything they did, but to also to help future customers in their choice. The reason I say this, is that as often seems the case in today's World there are a select number of people who feel compelled to criticise a worthy establishment for inconsequential reasons. Whether, in this case this is a Devonian trait or simply local individuals with a vested interest in pulling down the competition.

As soon as you step inside the Bickley Mill you can tell that this Hotel is personally run by the owners. The staff were incredibly helpful, the accommodation was tastefully decorated with an excellent bathroom and shower and the food was excellent. The Hotel restaurant was always full and despite the large number of covers being served, we enjoyed hot, delicious food that was always served with a smile - congratulations to the Head Chef and staff involved.

Thank you for everything you did to make our 5 night stay, a Five Star experience.

Martin Smith

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 May 2014

fab food and service.very helpfull ,lovely staff. comfy beds peacefull area.receptionist very helpfull and pleasant. would definately recommend it. restaurant very good really enjoyed meal. nice place to go exploring.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Highly recommended and worth every penny.

The service was top class, the welcome exactly what we needed and the rooms excellent. Comfy beds, toiletries and and abundance of refreshments. None of this , you can only have two cups of tea or coffee business. We stayed in the family room in the converted loft space. Not recommended for those who struggle with the stairs as quite steep. I do struggle, but for me it was worth it.

Following my mum's funeral we needed peace, tranquility and understanding. We got all of that tenfold. I only wish we had had more time to enjoy it.

The breakfast was superb, I chose the omelette and I look forward to returning at happier times and dining there.

Thank you very much for your wonderful hospitality. Rebecca, Jason and Simon.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Bickley Mill saved us from a terrible night at a well known hotel! I spoke to them late at night to arrange the next days check in. The guy on phone was so helpful and we were booked to stay there the following night in there last available room.
They allowed us to check in at 9:30am. We arrived 20 minutes after they had stopped serving breakfast. Ahhhhh, we were starving as escaped from our previous accommodation as quickly as we could. Hayley, probably one of the most genuinely welcoming person I have ever met, sorted us out with coffee, toast and cereal and showed us to our room. The room was nice. It was the last one so no view or balcony but it was fine. Absolutely great value at £95. It was clean and the bed was comfy and that's what we wanted for our very short stay in Devon.

Breakfast was good although get up early or you'll miss it!

The location and the staff make this place. They are all so friendly. Hayley, especially you!

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We rang to book a table and 2.45 and we got there about ten minutes late. We were told the kitchen was closing so we had to quickly order our food, which was absolutely fine with us. When we got our food, my fish was uncooked, so we told the staff, which came and took meal away . All they did was stuck it in microwave !! Felt very disappointed as I've had previous meals and they've been great. The meals aren't cheap either . Would think twice about returning !!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenny M
James W, Owner at The Bickley Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Jenny M
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments on your recent visit. I am sorry that the fish was slightly undercooked, I wish to clarify that on no occasion would we ever put fish in a microwave. It was placed in our Rational oven which cooks at a very high temperature. We wouldn't get the reviews and customers that we do get if we cooked our fish in a microwave! I also wish to state that I wouldn't be employing a Chef whom would send out food undercooked because he was in a hurry to leave work!
I am sorry if this incident has put you off coming again, we served over 100 covers on Sunday lunchtime and it is very unfortunate for us that the only negative comment we have got happens to be the person who reviews us on Trip advisor.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stayed one night and ate dinner in the restaurant on the same evening.

Perfectly pleasant, clean and well decorated bedrooms. Comfortable bed, good shower and decent tea tray. TV was little small, but I’m being very picky here. Wireless network was also good and free.

The staff were very friendly and polite – the two ladies running the bar/restaurant area were very efficient and welcoming and the food was solid modern British fare. Nothing truly memorable one way or the other. A good menu – not too much choice, but some good quality on it. It must have been up to standard because I had a dessert, always a sign that I’m happy with the previous two courses.

The local ale is very good also.

I would return without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KnightGuest
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Stayed here for 1 night only, wished it had been for 2 or 3. The hotel is lovely, very clean and the bedrooms and bathroom are lovely. The restraunt is excellent. Service although slightly slow was very good. Would I return, yes I would love to holiday here for a few nights. I stayed on business and found the hotel to be excellent. Value for money brilliant compared to other hotels in the area. This hotel would be a good base if you want to travel around Devon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
#1 of 2 in Ipplepen
The Cridford Inn
The Cridford Inn
#1 of 1 in Trusham

Been to The Bickley Mill? Share your experiences!