Sampsons Farm Country Hotel
Premier Inn Newton Abbot Hotel(Newton Abbot)(Great Value!)
US$101
The Orestone Manor(Torquay)
US$421
US$378
Travelocity
Ilsington Country House Hotel and Spa(Ilsington)(Great Value!)
US$189
Travelodge Torquay(Torquay)(Great Value!)
US$86
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
US$105
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We went to a wedding nearby and had a fantastic stay at sampsons. The staff were friendly and very helpful and our room came with a little terrace over looking ducks and chickens. The food was nothing less than brilliant, with a wide selection for breakfast. It was simply idyllic, worth every penny! I left a dress in the wardrobe of our room and they are so lovely they're even going to post it back to me in London. Sampsons farm is a must if you are in the area, wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 10 August 2012

What a find!
Pure bliss! I am struggling for words to express what an idyllic setting this is, I would without a doubt say the whole package is like a breath of fresh air. It’s like fairytales come true!
I loved the whole experience, chickens, hen’s ducks, goats, dog and cat, nature at its best with the magical touch of the proprietors and staff. Food excellent, room lovely!
I wish I lived nearer as it would be my haven to escape and re charge the batteries.
Unique! You have got it spot on!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shelagh p
Reviewed 2 August 2012

What a find! After two nights' in this quirky corner of Devon the last thing I wanted to do was come home. I felt 'at home' the minute we arrived. There was a fire in the massive inglenook in the low-beamed room where we had pre-dinner drinks and more beams in the dining room, for this thatched farmhouse is said to date back to Shakespeare's day, but my guess is it's even older than that. On both nights we took advantage of the special summer offer of two courses (rump steak or half chicken, ice cream of strawberries and cream) and a bottle of wine at £25 for two (or it might have been £26). My beloved had eaten from the regular menu on previous business visits and the food had got a thumbs up from him, and with 'regular' mains at around £15, the summer special was a bargain. Breakfast was terrific - wide choice of cereals, fresh fruits, juices, full cooked breakfast - the works - although I just stuck to poached eggs and bacon. The eggs were laid on site - by the poultry (including some rare breeds) that live in the field at the back of the farmhouse. Sarah, wife of the owner Nigel, is a professional artist and some of the rare breeds and ducks feature in the delightful watercolour paintings displayed on the walls - most are for sale - and she runs painting courses on site, Sampsons Farm isn't a hotel or an B & B and describes itself as a restaurant with rooms. Left to my own devices just after we arrived, I was offered a welcome cup of tea (teapot with teacosy embroidered with a hen) and opted for a 'small ' Devon tea which was one big scone, butter, cream and two kinds of jam. This was served in a lovely outside seating area with comfy chairs (with cushions) with clucking poultry as a soporific soundtrack. Just heaven! We slept (very soundly) in room 4. The en suite, shower and loo, is on the small side and access is up some steep stairs so if you're a bit creaky it might be best to ask for a room on the ground floor and with a slightly larger en suite.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Always love to eat - and even stay, as we did once, here. The food - a lot of it not just locally, but 'on the premises' sourced. The atmosphere, and welcome second-to-none. Not cheap, but great value. Nigel and his staff/family always make you feel special and very welcome. Look forward to visiting again very soon...

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed for a week in this beautiful and peaceful setting. The appartment suited our needs perfectly and the restaurant was fantastically accomodating with our two children in tow! The food was excellent and breakfasts plentiful. The staff were always friendly and there to help when needed. Would love to visit again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family