“Great customer service”

Trago Mills Family Shopping & Leisure Park
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great customer service”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We go every year.The kids love it and it's not too expensieve. Mostly outdoors so the children can get plenty of exercise.We always take a packed lunch so we don't waste money in the restaurant. Great customer service when I complained once about rides not being properly manned. Great honest response.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Rachel C

South Milford, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Tragic Mills!”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Oh dear, what a truly awful, awful place! I can’t believe that such a huge swathe of beautiful Devon countryside has been assaulted by the presence of this hideous world of tat! It claims to be a ‘family friendly’ theme park, but looks more like some half-deserted theme park from Scooby Doo, that is full of half-dead animals, closed rides and political nonsense about UKIP adorning the place!

We went there mainly to take my kids on the rides, on arriving we found that you had to buy tokens to go on the rides, unfortunately hardly any of the token or change machines were in working order and we had to walk to the other end of the park!

Then we decided to try the train ride. On boarding the train I sat directly behind the steam engine and my 4 year old son sat with my wife and baby behind me. My son then decided he wanted to sit with me, so moved from one set of seats to another. After seeing how close the engine was and seeing all the smoke he changed his mind and decided he wanted to sit with my wife after all, thereby moving back to where he was originally sat and connecting the safety chains as he did so.

On seeing this, the engine driver shook his head at my son and gave him a direct and prolonged look of utter contempt. All this happened whilst the driver was still taking tickets from people entering the platform and well before the train was due to leave the station.

This made us feel very uncomfortable and most unwelcome and was certainly not the kind of attitude we expected from somewhere that claims to be ‘family friendly’. When I complained to someone at ‘customer services’ I was advised to e-mail someone at Trago, goodness knows why she could not have taken the information and dealt with it herself?!

The response I got from the jobsworth at Trago stated that they had spoken to the driver, who appeared to have lied through his back teeth and claimed that the train was about to set off when my son moved seats and basically suggested that what my son did was unsafe and we were being negligent parents! Needless to say I responded making it clear that I did not accept their version of events and expressed my disgust!

My biggest regret in life is now that I wasted half a day of my holiday in this hellhole, please take my advice and go see the many beautiful things that Devon has to offer and avoid this place like the plague, unless you enjoy glorified, run-down poundlands that sell worthless tat and cafes that could take lessons from most school diners!

10 Thank Restaraunt L
Luton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A strange wonderland of anything and everything.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I took a trip to Trago Mills since it was nearby - we were staying just outside Exeter, and it seemed to be an interesting garden centre to amble around on a quiet Sunday morning.

I'm not sure 'garden centre' quite does it credit - it boasts an enormous megastore which combines Wyvale, Poundstretcher, B&M Bargains and the most surreal 'clearance' section which contains quite a substantial amount of stuff that would be better suited at a municipal tip. At bargain prices.

And then there are the sideshows - a model railway exhibition, an Edwardian penny arcade, small boutique/trinket shops and a children's activity area (we didn't have the children with us, but I think they might have enjoyed it).

There was the strangest animal enclosure - with horses, pigs, goats, rabbits and guinea pigs... and the oddest aviary we've ever seen. Mostly pigeons.

But all of this pales in comparison with the breathtaking (and commensurately quirky) gardens, which are beautifully looked after, with many twists and turns passing miniature scenes of canal locks and railway carriages, and utterly bizarre statues. Best appreciated on a warm summer's day.

We didn't try the café, in a tower that looks over the gardens and interestingly turreted buildings, but the staff there seem friendly.

Parking was OK - I imagine on a busier day it might get a bit tricky - and the queues for the checkouts took a while to traverse, but otherwise I don't think we could have had a better morning/early afternoon of visual delights that cost nothing but the purchase of a few items that attracted our attention.

That said, I think it might be an acquired taste - some might say it's odd, (not least from the anti-EU flags proudly on display!) but we liked it. And we like odd things.

2 Thank cacophonyx
Southampton, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Awful place, will never visit again.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I visited the Trago Mills near Liskeard and regret ever having heard of the place. This was the most unfamily friendly place I have been to in a long time. I had a 3 year old and little one in a buggy. We couldn't eat at the cafe because the only way in was via several flights of steps. The walkway by the river had steps at either end bit no signs to warn you about this until too late. There was even a sign on the door to the shopping centre stating that at time pushchairs would not be allowed so that they wouldn't inconvenience other shoppers. What sort of place that labels itself as 'Family Shopping' actively excludes families with children in pushchairs! I think Trago Mills was built in the 70's and is still stuck there. Awful place that I would never visit again.

4 Thank Jude556
weston-super-mare
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“great fun day out”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

we revisited after many years ,and was very surprised how large it has become, not just a shopping store but a huge family day out for everyone, it took us a while to get our bearings ,as there was so much here, water parks, boating lakes of every kind for all ages even tinies!, a go carting track ,train rides , you name it they had it! an animal park ,and lots of eateries for hungry kids ,you buy tokens for the rides ,its a fab day out ,recommended for all!!! it was much expanded since we went about 30 yrs ago

1 Thank rmaid