“Not quite there!”

The Pharmacy Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Had a nice soup and fresh bread here. The place doesn't have much atmosphere though. The set up inside with the old pharmacy fittings is lovely but the tables do not fit the old style ambiance the place is trying to replicate. The crockery doesn't either. Should have lovely old type mixed crockery like I've seen at other similar cafés.

1  Thank DeanaJane

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Lovely cafe, great building, astounding selection of cakes and pastries, but do try their hot food. I've enjoyed their soups, but adore their home cooked breakfast with very decent ingredients.

Smashing!

1  Thank Quinonostante
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Thought id give the pharmacy a try. What a silly mistake. Poor service, overmicrowaved scrambled eggs so rubbery that I could hardly get a fork in them and when I asked for some cooked properly the waitress muttered ' what am I supposed to do with these then?'. Generally feels like a run down place trading on the old fashioned pharmacy theme.

4  Thank newtonlady
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We have been here several times and have never been let down. The setting is a pharmacy first established in 1877 that has been turned into a cafe / restaurant without ripping out everything that went before. The result is really interesting, unique in my experience. Every time we have visited the food quality has been excellent and the service efficient if a little 'distant' at times (depending on who serves you). Having sampled a number of venues for lunch in Newton Abbot this one is now top of our list. Don't go here for a quick burger and chips, go here if you are looking for an interesting venue, a calm and efficient environment and extremely good value. It's well worth the 5 minute walk out of the town center.

1  Thank IMPartialDevon
Reviewed 30 October 2013

very disapointed with the service the standards has gone down hill as a regular customer on the tuesday 29 oct we were left waiting for over 25 mins for our food then to add insult to injury the young girl then gave our food to another customer who had ordered something compleatly diffrent after waiting another 10 min we walked out then the waitress asked was every thing okay ........... these 2 waitress didnt have there mind on there job even when i spoke to the manager he wasnt bothered by my complaint didnt even try to rectify the problem ...... never had service like this ever people were even walking out because the lack of slap dash service i have been a regular customer 3 years but never will i go in to this place again i will be more chossy where i spend my money in the future....................

5  Thank Carole S