“Overpriced” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Saltash, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife and I were making our back to the train station and on passing this establishment decided to have a toasted tea cake each and a pot of tea for two. Unfortunately the order was placed before I had noticed the cost! £5 for the tea cakes which only had one half melted portion of butter each and £3-50 for the pot of tea. I can safely say that toasted tea cakes rarely cost more than £1-50 to £1-75 each in the majority of tea shops we have visited. An expensive visit which won't be repeated.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Brian E

London, United Kingdom
“Biggest afternoon tea I have ever had!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I loved this little place. Nice setting, unique pharmacy shop fit, with an eclectic mix of teapots as decorative china. Found the service to be good, as was the choice of food.
Went for afternoon tea, at a very reasonable cost of about £8 per person. Got plenty of tea, a lovely full sandwich of my choice, good scone with obligatory cream and got to pick our choice of 4 cakes. Thought we were getting 4 slices of cake to share, but got 4 slices each. Enormous. I eat a lot of cake and that was a lot of cake. Average quality but homemade.

Defo would go again!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dawlish, United Kingdom
“Walked out”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Bad experience in upstairs restaurant. Room very cold and had to ask for the gas fire to be lit.
Waiting for our order for hot food to be taken, the sole waitress served an elderly couple
two hot chocolates. They took one sip and called the waitress back. Their drinks were both cold. The waitress took them away and replaced them with hot ones. But, how and why did that happen? ... The waitress took our order for two quiches, with sauté potatoes. When she came with the food it was served on cold plates. Food served on cold plates does not stay hot for long! ... We complained and she took the two plates away back to the kitchen. The couple who had been served the cold hot chocolates were from up north and commented to us, "Why do people down south served hot food on cold plates? Up north we like our food served on hot plates so the food stays hot." We agreed with them. Fed up with the poor service we got up and left. Won't go back.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank erskine f
Poole, United Kingdom
“Great Cake & coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Been here a few times Well worth a visit. Interesting building, good service indulgent cakes!! Plenty of choice and good atmosphere

Visited March 2014
exeter
“Let by by service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

When I visit Newton Abbot I always go to The Pharmacy for lunch. On this visit I went through the café to go the upstairs area which is a lot more roomy. A member of staff was walking towards me, didn't speak, didn't even make eye contact.
After waiting 20 minutes I had to go and find someone (same girl) in the upstairs kitchen to come and take my order, no apology was offered. On leaving I paid this same member of staff, who barely spoke, it gave me the impression that she didn't care about what she was doing.
Had a cheese omelette which was tasty, plenty of filling.
The food is good but the cold drinks very expensive.
It is not just about the food, service to me is equally important and on this visit it was very poor.

• Visited February 2014