“Everything perfect -almost!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newton Abbot
Dornafield Camping Site
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This site is fantastic, very clean, well organised and the people are extremely helpful and charming. The location is excellent with loads to do and see. We are walkers but my wife was not well and we had to abandon walking but still had a lot of days out in very interesting NT properties. When I had to arrange a doctors appointment for my wife the staff/owners they were excellent in helping us out - cannot fault them. My ONLY gripe is the Wi Fi - did not work and you have to pay( I didn't) it's the system more and more sites are using and this is the second time it's failed me. Not Dornafield's fault as it's provided by a third party. Also be warned there is no mobile signal for Vodafone - some may say that's good but it's something to consider. Apparently 02 is fine. Thanks again Dornafield - a truly excellent site

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bill B
Simon D, Owner at Dornafield Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Bill B so glad you enjoyed your visit to Dornafield, we all try to make the experience special for every guest. The WIFI has become the bain of my life! Many years ago I installed a small wireless network which covered most of the park and this system was free to all our guests. As the years have gone by the numbers of user has increased experientially and last year the old system just could not cope with the demand. So during the winter we had installed a new and state of the art system which complies with the current regulations for internet security. It did not seem fair to burden those who do not require WIFI with an increased tariff so we made the service chargeable and for most guests this has been acceptable. The WIFI providers are really very approachable with any problems and have a good technical back up service. And yes you are right O2 has a very good signal in this area. Best wishes and I hope to welcome you back to Dornafield in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from our first visit to Dornafield . We were not disappointed. The site is immaculate with the grass cut like bowling green. The facilities block is amongst the cleanest we have ever found on any site.
We stayed on Buttermeadow and had the largest serviced pitch we have ever had , we had room at both sides of the van which also gave a lot of privacy by having nice hedges.
The staff work incredibly hard to main the site in this condition.
Although South Devon is not our favourite location we would not hesitate to visit this site again. The only negative is they advertise free wifi in the bob brochure but you now have to pay for this facility but this is only a minor gripe.
visit you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Simon D, Owner at Dornafield Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear PN
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Dornafield. My family and all our staff have been striving for perfection for over forty years and reviews like your make us think we are eventually getting there. I am sorry about the WIFI but for very good reasons the BoB brochure goes to print in November and we made a serious investment in a new system in December prior to the 2014 season. It did not seem fair to burden those who did not require the service with an extra cost included in the pitch fee (our fees have not changed in three years) I do hope you understand. If you should choose to visit Dornafield again in the future please don’t forget you can choose any pitch you like and please ask for me if I can be of any assistance.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We are at Dornafield now and even the rain hasn't dampened our enthusiasm. We usually avoid larger campsites as you can tend to feel on top of everyone else. This place though has large pitches with green spaces in between so you feel you have your own space. It's lovely and quiet though everyone we meet is friendly and smiles. Beautifully kept campsite with a really useful shop and great facilities. Being in a motor home we don't usually use the shower blocks but tried this one out and it's fabulous. Warm, clean, music playing and a better shower than we have at home! Can't wait to come back when the sun is shining and can't recommend this place highly enough.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie S
Simon D, Owner at Dornafield Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Katie
Thanks so much for your kind review. All the hard work from the team here at Dornafield is made worthwhile when we receive reviews like yours. We look forward welcoming you back in the future and don’t forget when you book you can specify a pitch or an area.
Best wishes

Reviewed 17 March 2014

A friend recommended Dornafield to me one day and after grilling them thoroughly about every aspect of a caravan park they didn't give me one negative - so that made us decide to 'try' Dornafield for a long weekend and now we wouldn't go anywhere else! We love everything about it, the super sized pitches, how clean everywhere is, the shower block that plays music, the dog walk area which is on site, the wardens golf buggies, the stone walls, the beautiful flowers all around the site, the handy shop, the handy tourists room, the narrow lanes that surround the site but most of all we love how friendly Peter and his family and team are - they make our time at Dornafield such a relaxing and enjoyable one, they seem to work all hours and are always on the go but never too busy for a friendly wave or a natter. We have our caravan stored at Dornafield also and this makes things so much easier for us, we just rock up and its all ready for us on our chosen pitch. We're counting down the weeks until we go back to Dornafield in April - really looking forward to relaxing and seeing everyone again. Well done Dornafield, all of your hard work really does pay off, you have an exceptional site and exceptional staff - thank you! I should add that I am pretty finicky about where I park my caravan - we have travelled to many other caravan sites all over the country and without exception I wouldn't go back to any of them, not because they are awful as most were really nice, but because they are not special - Dornafield is special thats for sure, I don't know what it is but everyone who stays there seems to be friendly - a bit like the olden days when people would stop and talk, thats what happens at Dornafield :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Haras1970
Simon D, Owner at Dornafield Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Hi and thank you so much for the very kind comments about Dornafield. After such a terrible winter with constant rain and wind we were all so relieved when a week before opening the sun came out.
These has given us the opportunity to clean up all the leaves, cut the grass, and paint nearly everything ready for the new season and now it’s ready for the year ahead. As always we are quite busy with all the storage customers bringing back all the bits and pieces ready for the season. So we are all ready and looking forward to welcoming back all our customers!!

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few days while touring Devon. Can't fault it really. Beautiful place and setting. Great pitches. Facilities are the best we have encountered. The dog off lead fields are brilliant. Our dog loved it. Nice walk into Denbury and lovely pub called the Union Inn.
The only complaint I have is that I didn't enjoy our next site because I kept comparing it to Dornafield.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank lkw1_11
Simon D, Owner at Dornafield Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear ikw_11
Firstly thanks for such a glowing review and so pleased that you Dornafield to your liking. We can take no credit for the setting that’s just nature at some of its best, but the facilities we work hard to keep up a very high standard and it’s so nice to be appreciated. We use to have dogs as a family so we know how important their happiness is and that’s why we have seven acres of doggy area and provide bags for owners to pick up. I think the Union is the classical village pub located on the green, and a good walk involves a good pub.
Many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights on way from Essex to a week in a camper-van in Cornwall. Convenient, as we have friends in Newton Abbot. Superb old reception buildings including a well-stocked shop, information room and games room, and a warm welcome from owner, Peter Dewhurst and his team. The pitches were well kept and spacious and included hook-up, water and TV aerial point. Warm, clean and modern shower/toilet blocks added to the ambience of the site. We chose this site,partly, because it is a 'Best of British' site and whilst these are not the cheapest, they seem to guarantee 5 star quality.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VicandSteph
Simon D, Owner at Dornafield Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Vic and Steph I am so please you enjoyed your stay here at Dornafield and found all the site facilities to your liking. My farther and I together with our wonderful team have been striving to make Dornafield special since 1972 and reviews like your make it all worthwhile. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This site is so beautiful, the staff are so helpful, the site is so clean and it is such a happy site with a lot of happy campers. I was always bought up to make sure that every positive has a negative and I did manage to find one " two weeks here is just not enough" Thank you guys for such a truly magnificent site.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daren S
Simon D, Owner at Dornafield Camping Site, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Daren
I am so please you enjoyed your stay with us here at Dornafield, it makes me very proud of my team to read reviews like yours “ I am a lucky guy”. About eighty five percent of our customers are repeat business and so they know the site, and in which area or pitch they would like to stay and we always strive to achieve their wishes. I think the main emphasis here is on presentation so you should always find the facilities spotless and the grounds well cared for. Dornafield is a happy place and despite the tragic loss of one of my staff in august we all take solace in that a bit of her will always be here with us.
I hope to welcome you back here in the future and thank you for your kind comments.
Best wishes Simon

#2 of 5 in Newton Abbot
Lady's Mile Holiday Park
Langstone Manor Holiday Park & Cottages
Welcome Family Holiday Park

Been to Dornafield Camping Site? Share your experiences!