“disgusting attitude!”

Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A traditional 15th century pub in the beautiful village of Abbotskerswell with cosy fires, large sunny beer garden & car park serving real ales, fine wines & locally sourced home cooked quality food with a twist. A very warm welcome awaits you.......
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We have been regular customers for many years and booked a family party down at the pub but with various issues gone wrong, I went down to speak to the chef/owner to let them know that we weren't happy with what we got for the money we gave (£150). we sat down with the chef and discussed what food would be at the party, and only to discover the majority of the food was sandwiches, and not half of what we asked for. The wife then rang us back with the response of there's nothing they can do as we didn't tell them on the night and then accused us of stealing a hanging basket, then finished by hanging up the phone.. so unprofessional.. we defiantly wont be going back there again!

1  Thank HygieneOfficer

Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Came across my accident really had a drink the called a few mates and decided to eat , food was good very large portions , the 20.00 mixed grill is defiantly a challenge but very good , everyone very welcoming , chef took the time to come out and talk to us and say hello to the dog and bring him water and treats . Have been bk cince and will be returning again.

1  Thank rayraybriggs
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I was so happy to finally find a good traditional country pub which puts real effort into producing quality local dishes. It truly is a breath of fresh air in a time when it seems to be very hard to find somewhere of this cailbre.

The owners of the pub were very friendly and made us feel welcome, and the lovely period building had a pleasant and warm atmosphere. After a pint of the local ale, we settled down to a 3 course meal, which was as delicious as it was superbly presented. The pub was nice and lively, with many people enjoying the evening sun out in the beer garden, but service was still very quick and curteous.

We would definitely reccommend this fine pub to anyone visiting the area, either for a quick bite at lunch or for a relaxed, enjoyable meal in the evening. It also has a lovely selection of local ales and ciders if you fancy something special to drink.

1  Thank Alan R
Reviewed 27 June 2013

What a gem! We visited this pub June 2013. We were in the area and checked out trip advisor. I highly recommend seeking out this pub. The food was amazing! Restaurant quality at pub food prices. My husband and I had the steak special - probably the best steak I have eaten - very succulent. My son had curry and my other son a childs sausage and mash. Excellent home cooked food - brought to the table by the chef. Futhermore, my son left his book behind and they posted it back to our home address! You don't often come across such service and kindness. We will visit again.

1  Thank MillyMolly100
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Use the pub for meeting up socially with friends. Have never eaten there, looking at the various other reviews I would say that the quality/prices are in the eyes of the beholder!
What is magic at the pub, is the D.J. they have, who normally play's vinyl records, this is excellent,
check out their website for when he is performing. The crew of staff they have are really good, polite and make you welcome, although on some bizz occasions seem to be under staffed.
A good selection of real ales, the wine list I think is rather on the pricey side for a pub, but I must state that their Guinness is superb, one of the best pints in Devon.

1  Thank Tavipirate