“Excellent fresh fish”
Review of Jacksons

Jacksons
Ranked #11 of 131 Restaurants in Newton Abbot
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Description: Award winning freshly cooked fish & chips to eat-in or takeaway. Daily special fish of the day, OAP special and kids meals available. Fish can be purchased direct from our fishmonger shop at the front and fried to order if desired. Open Monday - Saturday lunchtimes and evenings - closed all day Sunday and Monday evenings.
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I am a bit miffed by some of the reviews. We wanted a nice lunchtime fish & chips so stopped by Jacksons last week and had a wonderful lunch. The chips were nothing special but the cod and dabs were terrific. The staff was nice. It does feel like you have stepped back into the 1960's but in a charming way. We will continue to frequent Jacksons and recommend it to anyone wanting a very good piece of fresh fish. We have not found a better fish & chips in Devon.

1  Thank nelliefox

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I took my partner and stepdaughter to Jacksons as I had been told that the food was of a good quality , unfortunately what I hadn't been told was that the staff didn't like customers !
When we arrived we asked if the restaurant was open , i thought I had maybe grown an extra head by the look that the chef gave me ! as he mumbled " open till 2pm "
we nervously selected a table and mistakenly borrowed a menu from the adjoining table as we felt it a bit awkward sharing a menu between 3 . I was startled then when the waitress shouted the full length of the shop " where has the menu gone from Table 7 " to the chef . I assumed this was to make us feel awkward for committing the " take a menu from another table " offence !
we were the greeted with a stern " what do you want ? " we had barely had a chance to look but not wishing to upset her hurriedly picked whatever we could find .
Our drinks were promptly delivered in budget courier fashion , dropped on the table with a contemptuous grunt !
At this point it was time to make an exit , we asked for our food to go , which seemed to rattle the hornets nest even more , so in the end we took the diplomatic option and politely left .
We eat out regularly at all varieties of establishments and have never suffered such abysmal hospitality .
There is no place for blatant rudeness , especially when your restaurant is practically empty .

2  Thank Douglas A
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Was told I was not aloud to sit in the only spaceous place in the restaurant as they need to leave room for disabled access to the upstairs toilet.i had left plently of room and wouldn't block anyones way I made sure of this before sitting down with my two children, who id like to add are under 1 and I was told if I wanted to eat in there chip shop id have to take both babys out their prams and sit at a table further up and leave the prams down the bottom out the way!I will never go hear again.

Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

I just been in this chip shop for only a large portion of chips what j think was very small when I ask the rude lady behind counter simply said that is large

1  Thank neilc73
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Lurking behind a wet-fish shop and lightly hidden from view it is easy to pass by and what a tragedy that would be. Step inside and back a decade or so and discover what others have already said are simply the best English traditional Fish'n'Chips bar none. Prices are a shock to the wallet in a Nice way, the batter used must be the lightest this reviewer has yet found, huge pot of tea and special fish of the day £4.95 amazing. Please don't all rush at once though we regulars need our fix.

1  Thank Rob B