“Hound of the Baskervilles Tour”
Review of Unique Devon Tours

Unique Devon Tours
Ranked #1 of 5 Tours in Newton Abbot
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Award winning Unique Devon Tours provides high quality and tailor made guided tours for small groups of discerning travellers, ensuring that great memories are made for life.
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We had a fabulous day with great weather in the Dartmoor National Park with Mark. My partner, a Sherlock Holmes fan, thoroughly enjoyed not having to navigate the Devon lanes and being able to see the scenery for a change. I highly recommend Unique Devon Tours and Mark as an excellent guide.

All reviews
"excellent tour"
"tailor made"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 16 June 2018

We have booked group tours in the past but never had our own personal guide, so this was a new experience and certainly something we will do again. Mark from Unique Devon Tours gave us an extremely interesting morning tour of Dartmore, a welcome break for a delicious pub lunch, then an afternoon drive through the picturesque Devon countryside and coastline.
Thank you Mark for giving us a marvellous day out and sending us the photos, and for Alex for organising our tour. We would highly recommend Unique Devon Tours.

Reviewed 4 June 2018

We spent a day in May with Mark Lakeman on a tour of the Dartmoor National Park. The weather was beautiful and Mark guided us to extraordinary and amazing sights throughout the national park. Mark provided just the right mix of information and history of the area. We also had a terrific lunch at a local inn. There was a good mix of hiking and driving through the area. The car was clean and comfortable. Mark was a great personal guide. We came home with many great photos and memories. It was a wonderful experience that I don't think we could have managed this on our own.

rusticalex, Owner at Unique Devon Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

Hi Perry.
Thank you very much for leaving these kind words about your tour with Mark. It great to hear that you enjoyed the tour so much.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 30 May 2018

My husband and I spent four wonderful days touring Exeter, Dartmoor, Port Isaac, Stonehenge, Salisbury, Portloe, Tintagle, and more with Mark from Devon Tours. Mark is a very bright and knowledgeable individual with a varied background in architecture, photography, education and even wines! His careful driving, tireless energy, desire to accommodate beyond the call of duty made the days fly by. No matter what the weather, we never tired of the scenery, the tours and his explanations of the area. We discussed Brexit, the royal family and their influence on their country and compared Britain's plight with the US. My husband and I are an MD and a PhD so we never tired of the diverse conversations, whether we were touring a castle or riding on the freeway to London. My only wish is that Mark could be our guide when we tour Scotland. PS. Mark also takes pictures of the scenery as well as the two of us along the way. We can't wait to see them as his personal photography is beautiful.

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. We appreciate it very much, and will be glad to show you around again at any stage in future.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 May 2018

In May, I spent four wonderful days with Alex Graeme of Unique Devon Tours, a knowledgeable and passionate ambassador of all things Devon. As we planned my tours through email, communications with Alex and his admin assistant, John, were always informative, prompt, and polite. Alex suggested a lovely bed and breakfast, The Four Seasons Guest House, in Totnes, as my home base, and he arrived promptly at 9:00 each morning to begin our day.

As a solo female traveler, I immediately felt at ease and very safe with Alex as we explored villages of my Devon ancestors, Dartmoor National Park, the south coast, and beaches and villages of East Devon. He was patient, kind, funny, and engaging, and effortlessly maximized the day’s itinerary without ever making me feel rushed. On less-structured days, he suggested places to visit and flexibly adapted to my request to see a few sites relating to the Pilgrims and the Mayflower at Plymouth. He also noted my interest in Devon ties to U.S. history and included stops at the Dartmoor Prison Museum (which held American prisoners of war during the War of 1812) and Slapton Sands (a World War II memorial to those lost during the pre-D-Day training activities of Exercise Tiger).

Alex chose cozy pubs and interesting restaurants for tasty lunches. During the day, he was always willing to stop for a delicious Devon cream tea or a beverage/snack break as desired. Alex has a great rapport with people in his industry, and it was fun to watch him interact with the staff of the restaurants and the sites that we visited. He clearly holds their respect and trust.

Alex was an excellent driver and always professional, even when we encountered tense traffic situations in the narrow Devon lanes. His touring car, “Flo,” was clean, comfortable, and well-stocked with bottled water, maps, and informative books to answer obscure questions posed by guests.

As part of his services, Alex takes quality photographs during his tours and sends them to his guests as remembrances of their visit. I highly recommend Alex and Unique Devon Tours as the best way to see and experience Devon!

1  Thank marykayschmidt

Dear Mary Kay.
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review. It's music to my ears that you were so pleased with the tour, and that everything was as you wanted it to be.
Best wishes