“Historic Inn in a rural setting”

Old Church House Inn
Ranked #4 of 22 Newton Abbot B&B and Inns
Surrey
“Historic Inn in a rural setting”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I must admit that this was my fourth stay but it is my first review of this inn. Obviously I keep going back and that rarely happens and so they must be doing things right. We went there to celebrate a special birthday and invited friends and family. It is an ideal place for this as large groups can be seated in a separate area so as not to disturb other customers. Kane runs an excellent establishment where the service is so friendly and efficient and the food is very good; importantly it is also good value for money. Special thanks to Darren, Alison, Marie and Chris for looking after us so well and also to the chefs and other staff that we did not meet. There are a regular number of locals which is always a good sign and adds to the pleasant atmosphere. The inn has bags of character, there is an ancient church within 100 yards that is usually open and worth a visit and plenty of walks and other attractions nearby. For anybody visiting Devon or foreign tourists wishing to experience the old England they should put it on their list of places to stay. We will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are original 13/14 th Century with bags of character and are comfortable but not l...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Melbourne
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I was lost and stumbled upon this place late at night. The staff couldn't have been nicer. I was travelling solo and they soon had me settled comfortably in front of one of the fires. Who shines the brass and copper ornaments! They really glowed! It was beautiful. - like

The food was superb. I stayed two nights.

The only problem was on the last morning at 8.45 there was no one there when I came down for breakfast Lights off, kitchen closed and no One apparently in the 15th century building with me. I panicked a bit especially when i found the front door locked and bolted in 4 places. I managed in the dark to unbolt myself and get outside. A staff member drove up shortly after. I assumed staff were on the premises 24/7.?

• Stayed April 2013
Honiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Had lunch here while visiting the area with a Group. It was the best Roast dinner I have had in a long time, Rib of beef, perfect.
Staff so pleasant and helpful, even when pushed to wait on our Group of some 20 people.
Looking forward to coming back very soon.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrisG355
Devon
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We've stayed here many times in the last 8 yrs(in lots of different rooms,our fave is room 12 in the older section) & visit loads for drinks/food as we are fairly local.It's children friendly,we took our oldest son to stay the night once & kids welcome if popping in for a drink,but usually just myself & husband for overnight.Dog friendly-dogs allowed in bar & allowed to stay overnight in certain rooms.On our day visits we've been treated to a large owl in the bar as a bird handler there,kids loved & squirrel marinated in cider cooked on one of the two indoor fireplaces by a local!!We took some American friends there & they loved as it's SO oldey English.A bit out of the way,but good base for Totnes,Newton Abbot & not too far from Dartmoor.Sir Arthur Conan Doyle apparently wrote the Hound of the Baskervilles here & is buried nearby in Ipplepen cemetry.Food-was great,but our last meal-husband asked for a cheeseboard & was asked what type of cheese.......a cheeseboard should have a selection,bit disappointing-don't think the food is as good as a few years ago-but the breakfast is good.Kane & Caroline,the owners are friendly & welcoming-the main staff Claire & Darren are lovely.For you ghost hunters-this inn was featured on 'Most Haunted' a few years ago.Myself & husband have had a few experiences here,as have the owners,staff & other visitors.Happy to answer any questions about the Church House.Have put as a couples visit,but take family(& dog too).

Room Tip: Choose a room in the old part of inn as more character.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Porthleven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed for two nights last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very cosy atmosphere, comfy bed and nice deep bath! Staff were very friendly and helpful, I am a vegan and they catered for me with no problems, the food was excellent! Lots of wonderful places to explore nearby, we would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JessicaCaroline
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We have just returned from a Sunday lunch for two. Lovely quaint old place with stunning roast dinner. Locals and landlord were really friendly and they were really dog friendly. Sat in front of lovely log fire eating stunning food. We will definately return and I would recommend the Sunday roast!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Germany
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stayed for nearly a week and didn't want to leave at all :-)
Our rooms were great! Warm and cozy heated, the beds comfortable, mattresses perfect, crisp clean linen and hooray! the early morning tea to help oneself to, too - sadly missed in all continental hotels!
My friend had her first full English breakfast ever and would have gone for it every day hadn't there been a quite tempting menu for dinner as well. We tried nearly everything on it and everything was fine (vegetarians could probably be a little disappointed - but just ask, I am sure the staff can help).
Bar is well equipped with a good range of whiskies, too.

A really unique building with plenty of history, cozy fires running and chairs and sofas to retreat to for some talk or quiet reading. All this with Dartmoor at the doorstep - there can hardly be a better place to be!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
#6 of 88 in Torquay
The Bickley Mill
The Bickley Mill
#2 of 22 in Newton Abbot

Been to Old Church House Inn? Share your experiences!