“A home away from home”

Old Church House Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Newton Abbot B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is our 7th visit to The Old Church House Inn, and Kane, Carolyn and the staff couldn't make us feel anymore welcome. We come down every year as a large party and book out all the rooms, this year there were around 50 of us. The children are now outnumbering the adults (the youngest child this year was 9 weeks old), and the patience that is shown to our kids is overwhelming. We love it here. Great food, great rooms, great drink and a great atmosphere. We are already planning next year's trip. Thank you guys.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lulubelle69

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Fantastic staff
Superb food - excellant menu
Brilliant lounge (with log fire for the cooler months)
Ad hoc but great entertainment

A place where you feel at home

Want a laugh - Just ask about the 'Duck Lady'

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

The draw of this place is multi-faceted and I have return numerous times since my first discovery of this English gem. The owner and staff are full of character, genuine, friendly, and will help you with anything you need. Rooms are very comfortable, tea and coffee supplies on tap as much as you want. The food is exceptional, great flavours and good value for money. Breakfast is local tasty produce cooked exactly how you want it, so not to be missed. It is one of the oldest pubs in England and has a beautiful church opposite. In spring you can watch the pink blossom falling onto the graves below, like confetti's blessing. At the old church inn, you can fall into a time bubble from usual life and get a real feel of the slower times of the old days. The locals, real ale and interesting decor (ask Kane, the owner to share the stories) give a real flavour of rural England and the rich history of this special, atmospheric place. If you like 'off the beaten track' real experiences than this is the place to come. I especially urge those from abroad to visit to get a sense of England that you won't find in the tourist traps. The quote in the title is from my dad. I wanted to share the place with my parents and I had a hard time getting them to leave! Family from Australia, loved it when we did a family visit in May 2013. One last thing, we came to a fancy dress Halloween night here, it was hard to tell the party goers from the ghosts that night, but it could have been due to the drink!

Room Tip: Tip: some rooms have been refurbished more recently than others, so you can ask. All rooms are comfo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We had a fabulous stay here and found it the perfect spot for sightseeing in the beautiful local area.

The place is gorgeous with tons of history around and in a very peaceful setting. Plenty of space and delicious food with a huge array of choice.

The staff were fabulous. Really helpful, friendly and full of ideas for some great day trips and more.

We were in a mixed group with ages range from 1 - 70 years and they were able to cater for everyone. We were celebrating 2 birthdays and an anniversary and they made every one of them feel like a very special occasion.

Thanks all for a fabulous stay!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I must admit that this was my fourth stay but it is my first review of this inn. Obviously I keep going back and that rarely happens and so they must be doing things right. We went there to celebrate a special birthday and invited friends and family. It is an ideal place for this as large groups can be seated in a separate area so as not to disturb other customers. Kane runs an excellent establishment where the service is so friendly and efficient and the food is very good; importantly it is also good value for money. Special thanks to Darren, Alison, Marie and Chris for looking after us so well and also to the chefs and other staff that we did not meet. There are a regular number of locals which is always a good sign and adds to the pleasant atmosphere. The inn has bags of character, there is an ancient church within 100 yards that is usually open and worth a visit and plenty of walks and other attractions nearby. For anybody visiting Devon or foreign tourists wishing to experience the old England they should put it on their list of places to stay. We will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are original 13/14 th Century with bags of character and are comfortable but not l...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I was lost and stumbled upon this place late at night. The staff couldn't have been nicer. I was travelling solo and they soon had me settled comfortably in front of one of the fires. Who shines the brass and copper ornaments! They really glowed! It was beautiful. - like

The food was superb. I stayed two nights.

The only problem was on the last morning at 8.45 there was no one there when I came down for breakfast Lights off, kitchen closed and no One apparently in the 15th century building with me. I panicked a bit especially when i found the front door locked and bolted in 4 places. I managed in the dark to unbolt myself and get outside. A staff member drove up shortly after. I assumed staff were on the premises 24/7.?

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Had lunch here while visiting the area with a Group. It was the best Roast dinner I have had in a long time, Rib of beef, perfect.
Staff so pleasant and helpful, even when pushed to wait on our Group of some 20 people.
Looking forward to coming back very soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
The Keyberry
The Keyberry
#5 of 24 in Newton Abbot
Premier Inn Newton Abbot Hotel

Been to Old Church House Inn? Share your experiences!