Old Church House Inn
Premier Inn Newton Abbot Hotel(Newton Abbot)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$128
The Orestone Manor(Torquay)
US$203
US$139
Ilsington Country House Hotel and Spa(Ilsington)(Great Value!)
US$190
Travelocity
Travelodge Torquay(Torquay)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewstiny hamletcentury buildingthe pubspanish armadafabulous staysourced locallywifi connectionfull english breakfastcharm and characterolde worldeoff the beaten trackthe en suite bathroomperfect countrystayed two nightslovely mealcountry lanesgreat shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

What an amazing building. Really enjoyed The Old Chuch House Inn and the owners hospitality.

It's just a bit dated, carpets, bathrooms and decor would benefit from some attention. However, it's still a fascinating place to stay if you don't mind the odd quirk.

Also, do visit the wonderful church across the road.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank WeightonSwim
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We found this on Trip Advisor and the reviews convinced us to book; we were not disappointed.

Trying to book on the phone nearly put us off as they were busy serving but they always rang back. We were delighted when we arrived to a happy enthusiastic welcome and everything was relaxed and nothing too much trouble. Our room (12) was excellent and hot water taking time to come through not a problem.

Afternoon tea in the garden on the other side of the track and a walk up the footpath at the back. Friends joined us for dinner and the food was unpretentious better than average pub food. Only comment is there were quite a few dishes with cheese on which reduced the choice as one of us doesn't like cooked chees. Other than this very minor thing, everything else was great. Good wine list if slightly on the pricey side.

Fab full English breakfast (with saute pots for Sunday) hit the spot on both mornings.

Service excellent and Daren good fun. Kane was chatty and a very good host.

We will certainly return here and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: Room 12 was really good and our friends who stayed in room 11 were very happy with their room as well.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Badgerisimus
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Found this place by chance searching for a get away place to stay out in the country, loved my room which was number 1 which is not in the old part of the inn which would have been nice as it is haunted, nothing happened in the new part, but will be going back for sure.

I didn't get to have a proper meal as I had eaten during the day while out visiting places in Devon, I did however have a bar meal and chose the pâté it was superb, so good in fact I had it both evenings I stayed :-)

The breakfasts were as good as the evening meals, NOT to be missed!!!!! All the staff are very friendly throughout my stay, the only niggle is room 1 does not have a good wifi reception and I struggled a bit to keep intouch with work, sad I know but even when away enjoying myself money still needs to come in.

I will def be back and look forward to meet the locals again as well as the owners and staff.

Room Tip: Room 1 was big with double and sinlgle beds, but wifi in the room was intermittent but not the be all and end all, can always go into the bar which is not a bad thing :-)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Visit regularly for sunday lunch with my 87 year old Mother. Food is always of a very high standard and plenty of it. Special thanks to Darren, Chris, Josh, Alison and all those we don't see. Service always good and come away not needing to eat for the rest of the day. From reading other reviews I think an overnight stay is required to add to the excellent food and service. Thank you.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My wife and I were visiting the UK for a family wedding and had decided to have a few days holiday near Torquay where we had holidayed twice before many years ago.
I spent some time looking on the internet for a suitable Pub B&B and found this one and we were both very intrigued with both its age and locale.
We were both very, very pleased that we chose it and stayed for 5 nights. The pub itself is a dream and exceptionally old -- once you accept that a building of this age is not going to be a 5 star chrome and glass flashy resort then you will be in the right frame of mind.
Our room was very comfortable and spacious and backed onto meadows (interesting to be woken by the soft sound of cows tearing and munching grass) and was very quiet. The food, both breakfast and dinner, was very good and evening meals were very well priced.
The staff were extremely helpful and had a great sense of humour -- nothing was too much trouble. Kane, the host, was a mine of local information and helped us considerably with planning our daily trips.
The church across the way is well worth a visit for those interested in history the beautiful painted screen dates back to the 1430's and is still in great condition.
We highly recommend this inn for anyone looking for something a little different, remote enough but close enough to all attractions.
Would return in a heartbeat!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple