“Awful service but a nice view”
Review of Coombe Cellars

Coombe Cellars
Ranked #45 of 132 Restaurants in Newton Abbot
Price range: US$14 - US$35
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2014

It really depends on what's important to you.. if you don't mind staff who ignore you and spend an hour getting food to your table then this place is okay. The view is really nice and the menu is okay. I think if I was in the area again I'd pop in for a beer but I wouldn't make any effort to come here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,450)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Continuing our paddle we arrived at Combe Cellars from Shaldon. I was wearing wet sea shoes and was able to order drinks and chips without a problem. My son and I sat outside and weighted for the others to turn up. Combe Cellars is a great location and really enjoyable to sit and watch the sailing, water skiing and windsurfing. We left having ordered some more drinks and chips for the next couple who arrived by canoe. Unfortunately they didn't have any shoes and when they cam to order this was a problem. If, located next to two jetty's with a huge outdoor seating area the pub wishes to impose a shoe policy in the bar, then may I suggest they either start table service or have an outside serving area. My daughter being told that they hoped her feet were clean was nearly funny. Of course, slight over reaction as it is up to the pub to decide their policies. The location would suggest it is a stupid policy.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was the second time we had eaten at Coombe Cellars while on holiday with friends and it really couldn't have been much better. We hadn't booked, so we ate in the bar area as the restaurant was full, but it really didn't make any difference. The views over the estuary are fantastic, the atmosphere was great and the food excellent. The menu is pretty simple, but everything we had to eat was delicious. It is also very reasonably priced (as are the drinks). All together, it's great value for money. A big shout out for the young staff too. They were also first class - friendly, informal and very helpful. A lot of much more expensive venues could learn a thing or two from these guys.

2  Thank Mel T
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Moored our boat up to the jetty in the morning, before the place opened ....thought this looks nice, first time up this river on a boat. ideal views of river and rolling hills .... so drove back in the evening.....mistake, food not good, service poor, will I return maybe to sit outside with a drink and enjoy the view, but not to eat ......

1  Thank marty w
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went to Coombe Cellars as a family group ageing from 2 1/2 to 61, to celebrate my husbands birthday. We weren't sure what to expect as previous visits ( couple of years ago ) were very disappointing. What a transformation! Right from the start the service was excellent, and continued to be so throughout the whole meal. As we were an early booking (6pm) we were told that our table was booked again for 8.15, but as we had a little one with us we didn't intend to keep him sitting at the table for that long - so no problem.
The food was some of the best I've tasted, and no one, out of 4 adults, 2 teenagers and the little one had any complaints at all, we all thought it was superb! We do know what good food should be as we have frequented Michelin starred restaurants and 5* hotels often.
I only had one minor blip to the evening, and that was when a brand new top got a small hole in it because it caught on the chair.
Well Done Coombe Cellars Management and Staff, we will return!