“Stay elsewhere” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Waverley Hotel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Stay elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

arriving on a Saturday evening we attempted to check in, to have to exit and go back outside then inside to the bar, despite there being someone on reception, busy eating a burger. Trying to attract attention at the bar was hard on a busy Saturday night but once done we then exited again and returned to the hotel to find our room.
A noisy one to the front. No phone in room, so I once again had to exit the hotel and enter the bar, stand in line at the bar to get attention whilst the member of staff chatted with the locals - fully booked she told me apologising in an unapologetic way.
Final straw was spotting the blood stained valance sheet - a complete no-no in anyone's books

Only redeeming feature was that breakfast was good as was the person who served us it.

Room Tip: possibly at the back?
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank conor_37

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a three night stay at the end of May 2014 were given a good price for room 2 which is a family room /suite of a good size but in very much need of refurbishment especially the bathroom /toilet which the shower had a small wrap round curtain the toilet cistern was very hard to flush and took a long time to refill and the floor covering very old on the third day of our stay our room was not made up we had to ask at the bar and a very nice young lady came very promtlly with clean towels toilet paper etc and was very apoligetic we were given a complementry drink with our dinner as an apology , We went to breakfast and although there was a good selection of ceareal fresh fruit etc I orderd the full scottish breakfast to my disgust it was only half a breakfast as it containd
Half a sausage Half a black pudding Half a slice of haggis so the full scotish breakfast was only half i thought that was very mean and have never experienced that before , I would like to say how good the staff were in the restaraunt and bar all very pleasant and helpful

Room Tip: do not have room at front as you will get very little sleep it is over the main road through calland...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank holiday33Oxford
Bellshill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

There's no shortage of places to eat in Callander but I'm glad we chose the Waverley for our evening meal. Although it was busy we didn't have long to wait for our food. The food was amazing and the staff were very friendly and sincere rather than just going through the motions and being annoying.
I had the haggis and black pudding tower for my starter. Absolutely delicious. My main was fish and chips. Clearly hand made. The fish was tasty and the batter was excellent. Best fish I've eaten in ages. My other half had prawn cocktail followed by the haddock in lemon butter. She was well impressed.
£32 all in for two courses and two drinks. Well worth it.
I can't comment on the accommodation as we only popped in for a meal but the service and the food was excellent

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dalry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We were staying near to Callander recently and decided to enjoy a walk into the town for lunch, not having decided on any particular place at that point.

Being people that tend to take the outside of a property into consideration on whether we find it appealing or not, we passed a few places which really weren't inviting us in. Then we came across The Waverley and along with it's mouth watering advertised menu, ticked all our boxes.

We were glad we went with our first instinct.....the staff were friendly, the food delicious and the drinks refreshing.

The place was clearly busy with a lot of people including locals, walkers, visitors (like ourselves) and all in all, there was a good, up-beat atmosphere, for a Sunday afternoon.

Our food and drinks order was taken promptly and the delivering just as impressive.

We ordered starters of haggis & chicken goujons (images attached) and mains of chicken & mushroom pie as well as a double burger. Everything was simply delicious!

The only constructive comment we would give, is not a negative! For the starters, maybe the sizes could be a little smaller, more so for The Waverley's portion control and food gross profit margin. They were quite large, but don't get me wrong, there wasn't a crumb left on those plates either!

However, because of their size, we did leave quite a bit of our main courses, which incidentally, were more in line with a normal size main course.

All-in-all, a great lunch in great surroundings and service was fantastic from the two waitresses.

Thank you - we will indeed be back, very soon.

Room Tip: We didn't stay - please excuse the fact we've clicked on "sleep quality".....we tr...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Southend on Sea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I was so disappointed with this place, we arrived to find no staff, we had to wait at the bar to be seen. We were given a key and told roughly where to find our room. We found it and decided immediately we would only be staying for one night as the room and the bed were both absolutely tiny. (And very very basic and uncomfortable)
I had to go all the way back downstairs and wait my turn at the really loud bar again to get the WiFi password because that information was not in the room.
The really special bit for me though, was going to bed in the tiny uncomfortable bed, only to discover that they had for some unknown reason put a single duvet in the double duvet cover. So I got dressed again, went downstairs again and waited at the bar again to get it sorted.
I had a miserable nights sleep and wouldn't recommend this place to anyone at all.
I don't think the hotel customers are given any care or attention and the rooms are overpriced for what they are.
When I am paying the same price as a large chain hotel I expect the same basic standards or a niche selling point. This had neither.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma B
Valderrobres, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We visited Callander on our way back home from Aberfoyle. we stopped in The Weaverly hotel for dinner. It was terrible. The worse meal I have had by far. I would not recommended it all. We decided to go for Mothers Day special. £16.50 for a starter, main and a pudding. Good price we thought, but it was awful. The starters were dissapointing but the main was un-edible. What sounded good on the menu was nothing more that fried or half roasted green peppers (bitter) with pastry and a little egg. I can eat nearly anything but I could not really have my main. My merangue also had a funny taste. I felt robbed. I would have not paid more than £10 for my meal. I cannot comment on room quality but as a food place it is not recommended. It looked more like a place for drinking. The beer selection looked very good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Soniafm
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here with my mum overnight as a treat for mothers day and it was brilliant. Staff were great room was spacious with separate sitting area. Room was light and very clean. Had evening meal which we were very pleased with and the breakfast was plentiful with plenty options.

Room Tip: Room 2 which has separate sitting area
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family