“Work in progress”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
scotland
“Work in progress”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Have stayed here before and knew it needed updating but had read it was taken over by bespoke hotels and was in progress of being refurbished so decided to give it another try. We arrived and were given the keys to the Ecradour suite ( my spelling could bea little off here ) I thing they had over booked as this suite isn't on there website. The suite is at the very top of the building and was like walking into something from a horror movie. Cobwebs, thick layer of dust, peeling wallpaper, black mildew all over the bathroom and the crowning glory was when the taps came off in my hand, I really could have cried. I took myself down to reception and the front of house staff couldn't have been any more helpful, within minutes he had given us another room, although we had to settle for twin beds but so much better. Lovely big rooms but no sign of the microwave, cd player or free Internet mentioned on the website. Very comfy beds and spotless linen but I feel there housekeeping staff lets them down. Little things like stained grouting and dirty piping behind the toilet which would very easily be rectified with a little elbow grease and bleach. The front of house staff were all very helpful and friendly and the breakfast was very good, all good quality products. I would stay here again if I could specify I wanted a refurbished room.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room don't be afraid to complain staff are very good with complaints
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
ewenred, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for your review and yes we are a work in progress and a I look forward to the day we have microwaves and CD players in our rooms although we now have Free Wi-Fi in our Bar. We do have over 30 refurbished rooms and a brand new bar but I accept there is more to do, and I have every intention of doing it. Thank you for your honest and fair review.

Alex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I don't usually bother with trip advisor but felt I had to having read one of the reviews on here. We found to food to be good staff friendly and 3 nights entertainment out 4 and good value for money. We enjoyed our time in Scotland and at the Dreadnought .

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank F3009
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

after a long trip, first appearance looked good , myself and my wife with the rest of the coach
party booked , A comfortable room was found, a good bed not spotless but acceptable
We ventured down for our evening meal there were fifty +us, we found that delivery of
the food was a long wait and as my wife is a diabetic this could give problems
there was a choice ,of food, but we have had much better
the desert was like patterns on plates, some people waited nearly an hour for their
food, the waitresses were running at times but the food did not seem to be available
therefore it was not in their hands, we felt sorry for them! as usual good trips good
coach company, it seems an appearance of people in charge did not give staff the
backing to perform in a hard and difficult environment
I DO NOT THINK WE WILL RETURN a good location but no thanks, DEREK
from norfolk

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank derek g
Thank you for your response Derek and I have taken on board all your comments and sorry to hear of your hour wait for food? And the patterns on your plate? It a shame your concerns were not mentioned at the time? Because I would have most definitely taken this up with the Chef and the waiting staff as this is not acceptable and something we have before or since never experienced? And our feed back on the food generally is very good. So I am very sorry we have not met your expectations all you comments and observations have been noted and will be acted up on.
Alex

Travellers are raving about these Callander hotels

Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

It was my wedding anniversary and my husband and I went to the dreadnought. we had stayed there before and it was OK. however our recent stay was very different.

our room wasn't ready for our 3pm arrival so we went for a walk, at 3.45 when we went back we were given our room key and went to our room. our room was still not ready so we left our luggage and as we left the room we bumped in to the maid. she spoke very little English and I tried to explain about the room and our cases were in there, she thought we couldn't open the door, took my key and opened the door then held her hands up towards the door as if to say what's the problem. communication was hard and I had to point to the inside off the room before she understood what was wrong. we left her to get on with her job and went down stairs, we couldn't sit in the bar as food was being served and we had our dog with us, so as it was raining we had to sit in the car. I am going through cancer treatment just now and needed my room to rest. we went to the room about half an hour later and the bed was made but the furniture was thick with dust and it was obvious that it had not been hoovered, there was dirty looking marks on the bedding. the whole room was terrible, you had to pump the toilet handle to get the toilet to flush. that's just a few problems with the room.

I asked at the front desk for two tumblers for the room and the person just looked at me so I asked for two whiskey glasses and did hand signs for this, he nodded and got glasses and handed them to me, they were filthy, I couldn't be bothered to try and communicate to ask for clean ones so I just took the two dirty glasses and washed them in my room.

we are really disappointed as this was our wedding anniversary.

on the plus side the dinning staff were very nice and the food good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
ewenred, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
I am sorry to read about your experience as I always am when we have not met our customers expectations.We always endeavour to make sure that all rooms are ready for 3pm check in, although when we have a full depart then arrival with only a 4 hour window this can prove difficult.I do except that it has been a problem on the rare occasion and we are working to rectify it.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed the food and service in the restaurant
Thank you for your comments.
barnsley
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stopped over in Callander on the way up to the isles and choose to stay at the Dreadnought.
The building is a throwback to times more grand the times of Lairds in Scotland and their extravagant ways.
On entering the hotel it welcomes you with its lovely foyer and bar area.
The staff are helpful and polite no problems in that area.
Sadly although room we had was very large and the bed very comfortable the decor and fittings are becoming a little tired and really could do with a revamp, the shower over the bath was particularly poor.The breakfast was reasonable.
All in all a good for an overnight stay but any longer I feel I would have not been happy.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front can be noisy due to the main road .
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your honest a balanced view, we are a work in progress having had some rooms and the Bar area refurbished recently I accept there is more to do.

Many Thanks Alex
Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Tired looking interior in need of updating. Bed was very uncomfortable and the fire door banging all night did not help a good nights sleep.
No one at reception the next morning despite several people wanting to check out.

1 Thank daveg280
ewenred, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
I am very sorry to read about you experience as obviously this not what we are trying to achieve here at the Dreadnought and team and I genuinely are upset when we fail.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Having read other reviews and opinions of other people who knew the hotel I had a fair idea of what to expect. Yes the hotel is very dated and room was basic with a very old fashioned bathroom but we had our dog with us so we were not expecting a 5 star room. The only faults I would like to point out are : the evening meal on our 1st evening was very bland .We cancelled our meal on the 2nd evening and went for a fish tea at the superb mhor fish restaurant. Also we left our towels on the 2nd morning on the floor as we would have liked fresh ones for the next day, but we were left with the same damp towels which had been neatly folded. On closer inspection to the notice in the bathroom we should have left wet towels in the bath if we wanted fresh ones. I would not return if it was a break for just my husband and myself without the dog. I would like to praise the reception staff and restaurant waitress who were all very pleasant and obliging.Ignore the star rating for swimming pool and fitness centre as there wasn't any. I clicked on these by mistake and couldn't rectify it

1 Thank Deanna S
Thank you for your review and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, although we only use certain rooms for people with dogs and not the newly refurbished ones.
I am also disappointed to read about the food because as well as the TDH menu in the Restaurant we also run a very extensive Bar Menu and a Grill menu in Macnabs.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review.