Dreadnought Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Craigburn House(Stirling)
Roman Camp Hotel(Callander)
View Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel(Port of Menteith)
Rob Roy Hotel(Aberfoyle)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 October 2013

A bit of a shame really, because this is obviously what was once a really nice (19th Century?) hotel which has fallen on hard times. First thing to note was that it was very cheap (£34 for a double for the night, breakfast £10 extra) - we needed to get up for my father's funeral in a hurry and we looked for the cheapest we could get near to Stirling.

So, this was obviously re-decorated some time back in the 1970s or so and really not since then; it seems clean enough but (for instance) the bath came away from the wall when you stood in it to take a shower, the bed linen looked clean but very old with old stains and really everything was old, worn and falling to pieces.

An amazing old place, very big and rambling and probably has a fantastic history - I suppose you get what you pay for, but really this was very, very basic indeed.

Room Tip: Not really sure - the signs on the door indicate it has suites named after whiskies which may be better, but I'd have a careful look round your room before you accept it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Had a short break in October lovely hotel great character , good value for money, lovely bar and restaurant great location , originally in room 1 found it a bit noisy, the staff were more than helpful and put me to room 206 , great service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We bought the offer from 'Late rooms'. 3 nights b&b for under £120.
First thoughts were impressive building, there were road works outside but not really a problem. The parking was not ideal, round the back of the hotel with wrecked looking out houses. Now look like they are used for hotel storage, just untidy and open to anyone.

Once checked in we headed to the room, what a maze! Think the woman sent us on the scenic route, was kinda fun though! We have the room at the very top of the stairs/building. Was a wee bit tired looking but to be honest we had no neighbours and an excellent size room with a big bed and lots of storage for out bags. Also had a wee hall way from the stairs and a good size bathroom. The room was clean and tidy. The shower was shocking though, I have long hair and like a power shower, this was a trickle shower!! Good deep bath. Some nice wee toiletries too.
The bed was comfy enough, but needed more pillows. (I really didn't think to ask!!) We had heating, tea/coffee and a small wall mounted tv (remote didn't work) hair dryer and iron etc.
Over all the room was good for the money.

The meals: Breakfast was included and ok. Every morning we were asked what we wanted and never once did the girls get the order right! But hey most of it was ok if you like really crispy bacon :) nothing fancy but you wouldn't go hungry.
We decided to eat in he hotel everynight (just being lazy) WOW, I have to say the evening meals were fantastic!! I was really impressed and great value for the money. We dined late so just went to the bar to eat every night. The bar has lovely decor and I have to say the barman was really nice and friendly (as were all the staff) We bought him a wee drink to say thanks for his service. It's nice to be nice, eh!

Over all, yes I'd go back. As long as I was in the same room and the same chef was there to feed me!!

Room Tip: The tower at the top of the stairs was nice and quite. I would not stay on the ground floor as the spiders in Callander are huge and like to make webs at the windows..... :(
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bonnythistle
Reviewed 14 October 2013

my partner and I stayed 2 nights on 11th and 12th October as we were attending a wedding nearby. On arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful. The building is a bit "tired" but our room on the second floor was clean , had a comfortable bed , a TV and a bathroom with bath and shower and plenty hot water.
Breakfast was varied and plentiful with good poached eggs , fresh coffee , plenty of variety.
It got a bit noisy late on with patrons returning to their rooms after a "good night" in the bar, ( a lady even managed to open our door and enter the wrong room) ! New carpets and refurbishment of the beautiful staircase would make all the difference to this grand old building.
Fire precautions were in excellent order.

All in all it was very good value in an old but interesting building

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alisameday
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

After reading all the reviews mainly negative. I was not going to book the hotel but I said to myself people can be very picky and negative. So I booked a room from booking.com for 2 nights 9/10 - 11/10 and I must say it was the nicest hotel in callander. Staff were very friendly, guests all lovely, room was clean and hotel looked freshly carpeted, drinks very nice. An all round pleasant stay and defo will be going back :)) christine stepps

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple