“What all Scots love - a good buy”
Review of Dreadnought Hotel

Dreadnought Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Reviewed 29 September 2008

I booked to go to the Dreadnought for the holiday weekend and then read some of the terrible reivews. I hadn't paid much - £59 for two nights, dinner, bed and breakfast - but I did want to be assured of a clean room.

I contacted Customer Services at Oxford Hotels - who now own the Dreadnought - and to cut the story down, I was assured that I would have nothing to worry about.

It has to be said that the Dreadnought is very much needing some money injected into it. However, the staff are making a great effort with the tools they have for the job. If you read the review entitled "Absolute Bargain", you will see all I had intended to write in this one. It is excellent value for money but if you want something that's up to date and with more attention to detail, pay the money and go somewhere else.

Well done to the new manager and his staff, I was very happy at the warmth of my welcome and the service was adequate, considering the hotel was so busy.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Rosemary L

Reviewed 28 September 2008

A couple of weeks ago, my husband, my dog and I (aged 50, 12 and 45) found that we had a "spare" weeks holiday and nothing booked so we had a look through the papers and found an offer - The Dreadnought Hotel, Callander - £99 per person for 5 nights Dinner, Bed & Breakfast!! That's right - £99 for 5 nights - less than £20/night each!

We logged on to "Trip Advisor" and had a look at the reviews. Some good - some not so good - but for £20 a night we thought - as long as we had somewhere clean to wash and sleep - with a bite of breakfast in the morning - what more could we want for our £20 - and so we booked up.

Well we've been there, stayed 5 nights and our comments are:

Rooms - yes tired - but clean bedding, clean towels, tea & coffee making facilities and a lovely view of the River Teith. Who's there to look at the bedroom walls when you're in the midst of the Trossachs??!

Meals - Breakfast - more than adequate - help yourself to cereals, fruit juices, etc - and then a cooked breakfast with toast, tea, coffee etc. Anything you wanted eg. extra toast or an extra sausage - you just had to ask.

Dinner - wow! 4 courses every night. The only time we left food was because we had eaten too much. A different menu every night - choice of starters including mussels, garlic mushrooms, pate, potato wedges & dip, melon, smoked mackerel and yummy homemade soups. Main courses included beef olives (extra yummy), fish dishes, veggie dishes, a roast dinner every night - and steak was available for an extra supplement which my husband took one evening and thoroughly enjoyed. Puds included apple crumble, trifle, gateaus, rice puddings, ice cream - and then tea or coffee. The food was tasty and plentiful and we could not fault anything at all.

Staff - excellent - every one of them! Admittedly, they're a bit thin on the ground, but remember if you can't get hold of someone straight away it's only because they're dealing with another guest. What's the rush? You're on holiday! Don't take it out on them because your room's not nice, because you've had to wait an extra few minutes for something - it's not their fault! The staff at The Dreadnought could not have done more for us - or our dog - or made us any more welcome - if they had tried. I would defy any 4 star hotel to give us better food and service than we had during our stay.

Remember - be nice to the staff - and things will be easier for everyone. Being nasty, short tempered or arrogant gets you nowhere. The Dreadnought staff we encountered worked very hard for long shifts - yet still managed to crack a smile and be pleasant and often humorous.

Entertainment - on the Friday night - provided in the bar. Scott Sullivan provided an entertaining 2 hours of easy listening classics which quite a few folk in the bar were joining in.

So - all in all - did we feel we had our £20's worth? You bet we did? For the money - you can't fault it. Don't expect too much of the rooms - and the rest is excellent.

PS - If you do go - ask to hear David's Bee Gees impression - that's worth £20 alone!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kattywinkle
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Just came back from taking my mother on her first coach tour.It really was a shame that the hotel was the Dreadnought Hotel,though the location and the shops were delightful the hotel was something different.With so much farming locally you would think here is where they would get their produce,but kid you not,bought in using the same companies as their hotel competiters and still they couldn't cook it properly(not even a basic dish-porridge).Still a great location for a hotel,but as others have said"This place needs some TLC" and it could well be worthwhile staying in.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
OHIML, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2008

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. I will now discuss your views with our Head Chef and the rest of the Management Team.

Reviewed 18 August 2008

Stayed only one night at the Dreadnought (thank goodness). On arrival we were met by a member of staff whose teeth were black rotten and this was a bad impression straight away. On going to our bedroom my mum and I had to step over dirty sheets lying in the passage outside the laundry and this was 5.45pm. Our room was basic to say the least and the carpet was all marks and nail clippings and hair. It was disgusting and there was a massive black cobweb on the ceiling. The doors were all broken, the cups in the room were all chipped and also dirty. There was a shower but I certainly would not have gone into it. The evening meal was so bad the couple sitting beside us left and went across the road for a chippy. I never ate a bite until it came to dessert and I chose cheese and biscuits as I thought they could not spoil them, but they had the nerve to charge me £1.95 EXTRA for them, and it was the only thing I could eat. The bar was filthy with broken and torn chairs and no entertainment at all. We all complained but the staff seemed to think there was nothing wrong with the place and were not interested and made sure they kept out of our way. We asked to see the general manager but he never turned up. Breakfast was very poor and also cold and toast was burnt. When we left nobody was on reception at all in the morning, I am sure they kept out of our way. We were so glad to get out of the place. I think they should re-name it the "Dreadful" hotel, which I believe the locals already call it, as do most of the coach drivers. I would NEVER go back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank clegers

" Please be assured that we do take your comments most seriously and I have discussed your observations in detaill with my Duty Managers', Housekeeping, Kitchen and Restaurant' Teams. I would like to thank you for your constructive comments as these will aid us with staff training and continued improvements. I sincerely hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Dreadnought in the future."

Reviewed 19 July 2008

The Dreadnought Hotel is a basic, no frills hotel that really could benifit from a major internal facelift in our opinion. The rooms were clean as was the bath,basin and toilet. However the curtains were hanging by their string and none of our windows opened. The food was quite bland and although plenteful was not something you antisipated with joy! We only found one member of staff who smiled and seemed freindly although in general the staff were polite. Having read reviews before we went, (but had already booked) we were quite anxious, however it wasn't as bad as we thought it sounded although as previously said it really could do with some quite major refurbishment in our opinion.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Thankyou for your comments which will help us to focus on areas' of our Hotel which may need attention. Please be assured we do take them most seriously.

Reviewed 11 May 2008

Having read all the previous reviews we were more than a bit apprehensive as to what we would find. We had a lovely big room on the second floor -room no 18. Although the furniture is a bit dated and past it, it was clean and the beds were comfy. The view out of the big bay window more than made up for the state of the tired furnishings. The breakfast was more than adequate, and yes, if I wanted to be picky then I could list all the faults with the dining room and its decor, but the food was well cooked and served promptly. All the staff were friendly. The entertainment at night was not to our taste, keyboard and singer (we are in our 40's and were the youngest people there) so we headed up the street to the Waverley Hotel where 77 were playing - now they were suberb. The Half Crown also had very good folk music on the Sunday. Dinner at night was good, well cooked and plenty to eat. What made this holiday was the surroundings, superb. The Hotel was good and we will stay here again. It was excellent value for money. Where else can you stay for £66, per couple, per night, not per person, for dinner bed and breakfast?

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Dreadnought for a three night all-inclusive stay booked through Easybreak.

We found the room comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful, the food lovely.

The hotel is not and does not try to be a five-star establishment., but it offers great value for money and we feel that some other reviewers do not take this into account.

We have stayed before and will be staying again.

Paul and Rosie Conroy.