“This hotel needs a complete overhaul”
Review of Dreadnought Hotel

Dreadnought Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Reviewed 7 March 2009

What a shame, this hotel could be beautiful but the overall feeling was of total neglect. The food was quite nasty, overcooked veg and some very strange concoctions. (Stir fry with roast potatoes!!)
The room had filthy walls, why on earth they couldn't have been wiped down I'll never know. No shower just a very old bathroom suite, ancient blankets and the worst bed we have EVER slept in. Not that I slept in it, I had to sleep with my young daughter in her single bed. I invited some of our travelling companions in to try the bed and it caused great hilarity. It was similiar to a board, with lumps! When I reported this to the general manager he said he knew already. NOT a great help to me.
Also on the Saturday night my whole family were kept awake till 2.30am by some extremely drunk people (around 20 of them) having a sing a long in a bedroom along the corridor. No member of staff could be found in the hotel to report this to.
All in all it was a disasterous stay and we would never go back. The free bar is obviously an attraction to people who don't particularly care about the quality of the hotel and just go there to get drunk but for families this hotel is an absolute NO GO.
Fair enough it's 2 star and budget but standards were still very very poor.
It needs a good clean and some staff that actually look like they are interested in the guests.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
OHIML, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2009

"Thank you for taking the time to write. I will ensure the comments' you have made will be investigated and addressed in due course both with our Housekeeping and Kitchen Brigade. I am very sorry to hear you were disturbed during the night. It was unfortunate on this occasion' that the behaviour of some of our guests' has managed to spoil the enjoyment for others' as this would certainly not be our intention."

There are newer reviews for Dreadnought Hotel

Reviewed 10 February 2009

OMG, this hotel was dreadful. The only good part was the free bar and let me tell you, you would need to comsume a great deal of alcohol to think this hotel was OK. The cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired, , the mildew on the windows and the dead blue bottles had obviously not been cleaned for a few years, maybe since the hotel had been built, who knows? The dinner, well having ordered pakora which was brought out within 2 seconds and venison with blackcurrant sauce (which tasted more like orange sauce, maybe the "chef" can't tell the difference and I use the word chef lightly, Gordon Ramsay would have a field day!!! Microwaved veg, yuk everything about it was disgusting. The cheesecake was warm having just been defrosted in the micro 5 minutes before and ice cream well, you can't really go wrong with that or can you - the fact that it had probably been in the freezer since last summer and was like powder may be slightly off putting. Never have I tasted anything so awful in my life. They do say you get what you pay for and that was the case with this hotel. I would have much preferred a pot noodle for dinner!! Couldn't face the breakfast so can't comment as the dinner was bad enough. I stayed in this hotel a good number of years ago and it was never as bad as this. My advice, book the Waverley @ £60 per room B&B, you get clean immaculate rooms and home cooked food and I'm sure no flies or mildew in sight. Dreadnought, get your act together!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2009

Thankyou for taking the time to comment. I was disappointed to note the problems you experienced during your stay. Now that I am aware of these I will ensure that these are looked into and we can at least make the necessary changes to ensure future guests' enjoy our hospitality more.

Reviewed 11 January 2009

Just returned from a 2 night bargain break with easy breaks...£59 each for DBB and all inc bar between 7 and 10pm....we always make up our own minds after reading the reviews....yes there are minor issues with the rooms like windows rattling with the wind and the rain but we use our rooms to get our heads down after exploring a place..Breakfast was excellent, evening meals good homecooked food....hotel did feel cold was hoping for a burning hearth and not a convector heater in its place..didnt want to complain about the rattly window or the bathroom tumbler which was dirty. But did complain that when we returned from our breakfast to bathe and pack our bags the towels had been romoved from the room... considering this was at 9 am on a SUNDAY morning we didnt feel that we should be pressured to have had a bath before breakfast...the staff must surely have seen we were still occupying the room with our bags lying around..Response from reception was they have a limited supply of towels and they take the towels for the laundry my arguement was that we werent even finished with them....Would return but would take the towels to breakfast next time.....

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2008

Upon arriving at the hotel, with no hotel parking for guests, there was no-one at reception for what seemed like ages. We went into the bar to ask if someone would be able to check us in........... not a good start but were glad it was only a one night stay. Our room was small and very basic. The bathroom was huge with NO shower just a run down bath! Never been to a hotel with no shower in an en-suite room. It reminded us of fawlty towers with cracked ceilings, shady blankets, no hairdryer/iron or press which is standard utilities nowadays in hotel rooms. We didn't bother with dinner at the hotel as we wanted to get out quick! Breakfast was minimal, staff looked fed up, especially the manager who seemed to be running round covering all aspects of reception/bar man and waiter! We left as soon as and it is an embarrassment for Oxford hotels and Inns group that OWN it!!! Would never go back and there are plenty other hotels in Callander that charge the same rate but are half decent!! In a serious need of upgrade and friendly staff wouldn't go a miss!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MACmCLAN
OHIML, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2009

"Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Dreadnought Hotel. I acknowledge all the points you have mentioned during your stay with us. Please be assured we will investigate and address these. Reviews from our guests' are very welcome as it helps us to see what we are getting right and wrong. Once again thanks again for taking the time to comment."

Reviewed 3 December 2008

a dump..room filthy..no heating in dining room or bar..a drunk covered in blood crawling with underpants only along corrider..quicker going to town to get drink..view at back bick chimney and rubbish..

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jebScotland

Thank you for your comments from your recent visit to the Hotel. Please be assured we will address the points you have mentioned. Once again thank you for taking the time to review.

Reviewed 1 December 2008

Stayed Fri & Sat nights end of November Yes the Hotel is a bit run down but our room was cosy with plenty of hot water, towels and tea and coffee Food was excellent, served efficiently
by friendly staff. For what you pay it is very good value, Don't expect 4 star quality for 2 star prices!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2008

We booked a one-night stay at the Dreadnought as a treat for ourselves away from the normal routine of life. Callander I loved but not the hotel. Broken canopy outside at hotel entrance, weird looking lions at the door. Reception area very dour. Carpets look dated and dirty. Full of anticipation to see what our room was like we were surprised at first because we genuinely thougt it was ok, only to discover no shower, one large towel and one small towel between the two of us, bath was chipped in two places. Behind the loo was filthy, under the rim of the loo was disgusting. Curtains could have done with a wash. Really old bed with horrible wooden bed legs. Carpet had hair on it and loads of dirty marks. Portable telly on wall showing only basic terrestrial channels but only the first four, no channel five. We ventured out to the main street and grabbed a chippie, brought it back to the hotel. After watching telly for a bit we settled down to sleep. I woke in the middle of the night with someone screaming, nobody came to stop the noise, no phone in the room to phone reception. I felt very itchy and went to the loo only to discover I had been bitten with something in three places. I went back to bed, woke my husband and it was then we discovered that between the base and the mattress of the bed was placed a sheet of plywood, how disgusting is that?? I swear I think the bed had fleas in it. The bed had an old horrible blanket and an equally horrible bedspread. There was a heater on the wall that didn't work and another one sitting on the floor. When you tried to plug it in it there wasn't enough wire to reach the socket. Our room was just along from the laundry room which was always open for us to view the poor girl working hard in there. On the upside the breakfast was ok, that room was probably the best room in this hotel but much as I think Callander is lovely I'd NEVER stay at the Dreadnought hotel again. I'm itchy even thinking about it as I'm typing this report.
YEUCH.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CumbernauldMr_mrss
OHIML, General Manager at Dreadnought Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2008

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. We do take your comments most seriously and this will allow us to address areas where we may have fallen below our guests' expectations."

Also consider these accommodations in or near Callander
The Crown Hotel
Rob Roy Hotel
Rob Roy Hotel
#2 of 2 in Aberfoyle
Poppies Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Dreadnought Hotel? Share your experiences!