“Well run and friendly”

Ranked #11 of 35 Callander B&B and Inns
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Well run and friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

We spent 2 nights here in June 2013, and had a very pleasant stay. The welcome was warm, the room large (and with a great view of Ben Ledi), and although the bathroom was not en-suite, it was for our use only, and was equally capacious. The breakfast room is a sunny conservatory, and although the farmhouse is on the main road, it is set back a good distance and is very peaceful. Rita and Bill run a tight ship, and if you do what's expected of you as guests, you'll have a fine stay. I was unwell for part of my stay, and Rita went the extra mile to help me feel better and recover quickly. That's the kind of thing that makes the difference between a family-run B&B like this and a faceless hotel.

Room Tip: The Ledi View room is big and has a lovely view over the mountain.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Merseyside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed wthRita and \Bill some time ago, with two daughters adults and three dogs, our evening meal was delicious. We had a very warm welcome, and as we had not seen one of the girls for some time we had the Conservatory to ourselves to catch up. We all had a good nights sleep in cosy comfortable beds, our breakfast next morning reall set us up for the day, as we were on our way to Mull.One daughter and her husband have stayed since just for a weekend
break.
The person who wrote an unfavorable review needs to get a life, I do not think he was Royalty,
we were certainly treated as such. Many thanks to Rita and Bill for letting share their home
Pat Crick and Family.I am going to book again for my Son and his partner.

Room Tip: If yo have dogs room 6 is ideal on the ground floor
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
auchenlaich, Owner at Auchenlaich Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Many many thanks for your lovely comments, We do try to make everyone very welcome if someone feels we have not we can only apologise. We look forward to welcoming Paul and his partner later in the year. Our best wishes to you all

Rita and Bill Kyle
Daventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

I had the good fortune to stay at Auchenlaich Farmhouse with Rita and Bill at the end of May this year. I stayed for a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. The farm is situated in a quiet area just on the outskirts of Callander, the farming operation is quite separate to the accommodation and there is plenty of secure car parking.
I had a large room with a very comfortable bed, from the windows there were views across open countryside to the mountain Ben Ledi, which forms a backdrop to the town of Callander.
There is a large conservatory with comfortable seats and TV, this is a good place to gather before dinner and to get to know other guests.
I would reccommend that you have dinner with Rita and Bill, they prepare excellent meals (of course with a Scottish influence) and the menu changes every day so you will have a wide choice, especially if you are staying for a few days.
Rita and Bill will make you welcome, many of their guests return year after year and I could understand why guests would want to return and to share again in their hospitality.
They will help with finding walks, local attractions and places to visit. Stirling with its castle is nearby, the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park with Loch Katrine is stunningly beautiful and Callander has a good selection of shops along with a Tourist Information Centre.
So you will find plenty to interest you in the area, just go and enjoy it all, as I did, and I am sure that you will enjoy your stay at Auchenlaich Farmhouse.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet as the farmhouse is set well back from the road, I would say that if you have an...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Thank you Eddy, it was lovely to meet you and share in your chats about your various exploits of the day. You are very welcome to come back anytime. Kind regards Rita and Bill Kyle
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

First of all, this is not a bad location but......
Warm welcome and the lady of the house offered me to park my motorbike on a dry place, appreciate this much.
Rooms are clean but i got the feeling they are happy with the long time customers who's coming every year and they are not waiting for passengers as me.
Breakfast was little poor, not asked if i got enough.
When i was leaving, they are waiting for me to leave also the house, strange feeling.
Conclusion: if you are not looking for a luxury B&B and don't mind the breakfast, it's ok but there are better choices for this price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Xavier S
auchenlaich, Owner at Auchenlaich Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write your review.

I really don't know what more I could have done to make you feel moe welcome, I offered you covered parking facilities for your bike, you came down later on to the dining room and took part in the conversation I was having with other guests and were even offered a refreshment which was fully complimentary. If I remember correctly you were also given a laundry basket to have your wet items dried for you for the morning. Yes you are correct in a sense we do make a bit of a fuss over our guests who have been coming for many years it is only natural as they have become more friends than guests over the years. What you are not aware of is that the couple you are referring to have just come through a long period of illness where the gentleman is now recovering from cancer so in my opinion deserves every bit of time and effort I can give him.

Your comments about breakfast astound me, we have a buffet table with three types of cereal, two types of fruit juice, and no less than four varieties of fresh fruit with natural yoghurt. ,on top of that you are offered freshly made porridge which can be followed by a number of hot selections from the menu. I am constantly in the dining room offering tea/coffee/toast perhaps you can advise me what I am not offering which you felt was missing.

As regards our prices unfortunately you will always feel you are paying more when travelling alone we do not have any single rooms but unlike many other establishments in the area we do offer a discount. For single occupancy.

I trust that you had a safe journey home and wish you well

Regards from Rita and Bill Kyle owners
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

don't know where this guy stayed but def could not have been Auchenlaich. We have just come back from our third visit there and the breakfasts are superb. Apart from the large variety of FRESH FRUIT (don't know what pickled fruit is?) on the buffet table we thoroughly enjoyed the best scrambled egg and smoked salmon we have come across, lovely fresh fluffy farm eggs yum!!!!!!

Our room was great no complaints whatsoever that's why we keep going back there. During our weekend there was a lovely group of French tourists who were also raving about the place dont know who this guy was at all but obviously the old saying is right "you can't please everybody". All we will say is keep up the good work Rita and Bill we will be back soon and that's a promise.

• Stayed May 2013
gifhorn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

First of all: It was a nice welcome, but the room and the bathroom was shabby - the breakfast below average!

Compared to what they write on their website it's a colossal cheek!

They forgot the towels, but in the night we would not ask for towels, so we had no shower in the night.
The toilett was dirty! Under the lavatory seat were hairs :/
The room itself was clean but shabby. The silikon seals on the sink are dirty and broken...
When your neighbours are on the pot, you can hear everything - disgusting :/
Same as your roommate...

Breakfast:
Fresh cooked Breakfast - the only thing you can eat, but below all the other breakfasts we had at the other B&Bs in Scotland!
Normaly you have a selection of cereals as indicated on their homepage - only corn flakes - No other cereals like muesli etc. pp.
Fresh fruits? Only pickled stuff, no fresh fruits - no bananas, no apples, nothing :/
And only plain yoghurt, among wich you can stir one of the 2 (cheap)jams or marmelade.
On the website they write "Homemade jams and spreads"
No Honey or other spreads.

Finally: It's not worth to waste your time there!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank renestegmaier
auchenlaich, Owner at Auchenlaich Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
I am sorry you feel that way about your recent visit. However I am rather confused. Firstly because I cleaned your room myself both before and after your stay and there was definitely towels in the room, and the shower had been used. If indeed there were hairs as you state on the floor they could only have come from yourselves as the floors are cleaned daily with a steam cleaner.
You had neither pre-booked nor pre-paid so you were perfectly at liberty to leave after you had viewed the room. You sat in the lounge area eating a take away pizza and spoke to my husband on several occasions. There was someone on duty until 11.30pm on that night so plenty of opportunity to voice any concerns.

As regards breakfast we offer a wide selection from continental, traditional cooked and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, there is also a vegetarian selection. Cereals we offer Porridge, kelloggs cornflakes, fruit & fibre and special K. The pickled fruit you mentioned, I don't know what that is nor do I use anything like that. we provided freshly cut melon, pineapple, orange segments in light syrup and Prunes in natural juices. I really do not know what else we could have provided to make your stay more enjoyable. There was also Honey on the buffet table which other guests had used that morning on their porridge.

I hope that you had a pleasant and safe journey onwards and you have good memories of Scotland

Regards Rita Kyle (owner)
argyll
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

What a beautiful luxurious room, very tastefully decorated with all to hand that you could need. The bed was so comfortable, you don't want to get up for breakfast. Owners Bill & Rita Kyle could not have been more genuine, welcoming and helpful had they been friends. We have a 5 year old daughter who was given star quality treatment from the moment we arrived till after we left. Rita sent her off with her packed lunch for the drive home and a new DVD!!!!!!
We wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else now and this will be our first place to recommend to anyone staying in this area. It is a must, whether you are a family with children or a couple. If you are only staying for one night - stay in to eat. Bill is a fabulous chef so you will without doubt enjoy the food, there is something for everyone & the meal is very reasonably priced so it will not disappoint in the value for money aspect.

Room Tip: There is an equally beautiful downstairs suite for those with poor mobility.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family