“Couldn't fault it.”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Pickering, United Kingdom
“Couldn't fault it.”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We booked an early evening table for three and were greeted by the friendly proprietor who took our order whilst we waited in the lounge.
The dining room was very smart, spacious and well set up. Friendly, efficient staff and the food was enjoyed by all members of our party. My salmon was delicious, my wife's steak was done to perfection, tender and very tasty, our friend had chicken which again was excellent.
The sweets were to die for.
We took coffee in the lounge and although we were not resident in the hotel the proprietor made us feel very welcome. All in all a lovely experience which we shall be repeating on our next visit to Callander.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jerry186345

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Great dinner, - I had scallops for starters then filet steak in Madeira sauce followed by a sumptuous chocolate tart. good service and pleasant surroundings. Well worth staying if visiting Rob Roy country.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Lochearnhead
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I enjoyed another delicious lunch at Poppies. Its a great spot to catch up with my parents who can park at the door and be treated to the comfortable setting in the bar and restaurant without it feeling too formal. My 3 fish starter was excellent (especially the delicately pickled herring) tasty lamb casserole and veg and a fantastic chocolate tarte with marmalade orange topping beautifully presented. Great coffee, lovely atmosphere, appropriate background music and friendly helpful service.Reliably good. I will be back and recommend it to my holiday cottage guests too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank briarinfo
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights during our trip around Scotland and we weren't disappointed. Callander is a nice little place at the gates of the Trossachs and the Poppies Hotel and Restaurant try to do their best to welcome you to the great natural beauty of Scotland. And they succeed. The place is stuffed with a huge selection of single malts that can help you relax after a day's walk along the craggs. No, it isn't modern and luxurious, but it's an honest and comfortable place that makes you feel at home while you're away.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Annesley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We didn't stay in the hotel but had dinner in the restaurant one evening during our stay in Callander. We were both very impressed with the meal and service - David had the lamb and I had chicken - both were cooked beautifully. The menu is quite select but some very nice combinations and choices available. Price, setting and service are for a nice evening out rather than a quick bite to eat!

The kitchen were able to amend dishes as required and therefore catered well for a gluten free dietary requirement.

We would advise booking as we didn't and had to wait quite a while for a table.

Glasgow
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I was looking for a place to stay whilst at a wedding in Callander. The pictures of this hotel on websites looked good so I booked a double room.

When I arrived at the hotel with my boyfriend we received a far from welcoming reception and stood there feeling somewhat awkward whilst the, I believe owner, shuffled some papers around and left the room.

When we were shown to our room I was very disappointed. It was extremely small! Your knees were almost in the shower when you sat on the loo (which felt like it was in a cupboard) and it was too small to even fit a sink in (this was in the bedroom with no shelf facilities or room for toiletries).

The breakfast, however, was faultless. As was the service.

This hotel is far too expensive, especially when friends of mine were staying in hotels nearby that were far more luxurious and a lot cheaper!

I will not be returning to Poppies Hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 4! That's providing they're not all the same.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife and I spent four nights at The Poppies hotel. It was my wife's first visit to Scotland and she really enjoyed the hotel and the surrounding area. The hotel was clean and comfortable and was set apart from the normal by the hospitable hosts ( John & Susan ) and their excellent restaurant. The hotel is well positioned for Callander and for touring the beautiful Trossachs,The owners are experienced hoteliers and it is evident in all that they do to make your stay pleasurable and memorable. They will not please everybody all of the time, but I feel sure that they please most of the people who stay most of the time. We will surely return for another dose of Sottish hospitality at its best. ( ignore swimming pool and fitness centre rating as they do not have them )

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callander
Roman Camp Hotel
#4 of 6 in Callander
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
#1 of 1 in Port of Menteith

Been to Poppies Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!