“Excellent”

Dalgair House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Callander
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed1night at the hotel staff were lovely and pleasant food was excellent dinner and breakfast was very quickly served there was plenty toast and as many coffee refills you could drink room was clean and tidy would I stay here again certainly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rab N

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Good value hotel. Not five star but good vlaue for money. Clean refurbished room, good food & very reasonable beer prices. What more can you say it does what it says on the tin. No idea why tripadvisor needs you to use 200 characters but I have now done it so I am finished reviewing this hotel.

Room Tip: Eat here & you won't be dissapointed. Not fancy but good & reasonably priced.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian H
Reviewed 20 May 2014

all staff very friendly. as was the locals who we sat with all night. room very good size, could do with a little makeover but very comfortable + clean. breakfast arrived at our table quick + very hot. with no problems when getting toast + coffee refills. we only stayed 1 night but could happily have stayed more. live entertainment band on the Saturday night we stayed created a great atmosphere. bar was quite loud but quietened down quickly after bar shut, + slept great all night, wed definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Basic but adequate for our needs. Food good breakfast great. Entertainment good. Staff great, very welcoming and couldn't do enough for guests. We arrived several hours early as checked out previous accommodation but we're given room straight away at no extra cost. Can't wait to go again :-)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank koolkat565
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I've stayed at the Dalgair before, - nuff said, I came back. It's a good value basic hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful. The bar can get busy and noisy at weekends. You get a nice cooked breakfast, it's clean. Like Alan L, I got no Jacuzzi, only what I paid for :-)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MM952
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Because of the excellent publicity received this week by the Crags Hotel I thought that I would check out the reviews of the Dalgair House Hotel. I was really surprised to see that there were so many negative reviews.

I stayed there in April 2012. My stay was a single night and because I had only spent £29.50 for my room plus breakfast I was not expecting too much. I travel frequently on business and for the most part (unless I am going to conduct meetings in my room) all I really need is a clean room with a shower, a decent clean bed and somewhere to put my clothes.

I arrived in the early evening after a 500 mile drive and just wanted to relax, eat and go to bed. On arrival I received a friendly greeting and, if I recall correctly, was told where my room was rather than being shown to it. No real problem as I am a man and can navigate without SatNav. I also know how to use a bed. After my long drive I could have murdered a pint, but the promised complementary drink was not forthcoming. What the heck! I was paying £29.50 for a room for the night.

Of course I was disappointed that the room did not have a jacuzzi, there were only a few channels on TV, there was no complementary massage, no gym or swimming pool and no chocolate on my pillow.

What do some of your reviewers want? I paid £29.50 for a perfectly acceptable room in a clean, comfortable, welcoming hotel and there was the promise of breakfast next morning.

That evening I ate in the attached restaurant which at the time served Indian cuisine. I understand that it now serves Scottish food. The restaurant was deserted. I was the only customer. It was a snowy Monday at the beginning of April, so no great surprise there. The food however was good. Not excellent, but good Indian food, apparently cooked to order.

The following morning I descended to the bar where my table was laid for breakfast. I may very well have been the only guest. I received a warm welcome and my full Scottish breakfast arrived promptly on a warm plate. The food was good. My only concern regards the sausages. Sausages deserve to be fried slowly. I know that the Dalgair believes that sausages need to be roasted within an inch of their lives. Here we must agree to disagree. I also have a slight question about the quality of the sausages, but when they are roasted they really do not shine, so I may well be wrong. They could have been Harrods sausages for all I know.

In my life I have a firm belief that you get what you pay for. In this case it is difficult to fault the Dalgair for value for money. In a world where you have to pay £90.00 for a man to come to look at your washing machine, it is refreshing to know that you can get really decent B&B for £29.50.

I know that almost two years on, the price of a single room with breakfast is still £29.50. This in spite of inflation and an ongoing refurbishment.

I have no hesitation in recommending Dalgair House Hotel to anyone who wants a simple, clean honest small hotel.

On my next visit I will bring a pound of quality sausages with me and ask for them to be fried.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Alan L
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Excellent Hotel, room spacious, clean,and warm, staff & owner extremely friendly, breakfast include in price full scottish freshly cooked on hot plates. Three course evening meal available which was excellent value, Throughly enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank brian l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callander
Roman Camp Hotel
#2 of 2 in Aberfoyle
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to Dalgair House Hotel? Share your experiences!