“A tunnel like no other”
Review of Bude Tunnel

Bude Tunnel
Ranked #2 of 53 things to do in Bude
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The only tunnel Bude has to offer is open to the public free of charge, walk from the Sainsbury's car park to Crooklets Road completely undercover, protected from the elements whilst maintaining your view to the spectacular surroundings of Bude. Consisting of 36 metal arches and over 70m long, nowhere else in Bude can you walk this far undercover in a continuos straight line, all ages are welcome
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I had been told of this magical monument by friends, and although I had been to Bude many times before, I had never seen this tourist attraction.
I took the small walk up the hill towards Sainsbury’s, and there it was; glistening in the Cornish sunshine.
The hand crafted Cornish Perspex has not suffered from the weather, and looks incredible with the sun reflecting off it.
The view down the tunnel is incredible, and the matte black trolleys line the side beautifully.

To really admire this beautiful work of art, you need to stand just on the curb and take in the view whilst enjoying a large traditional pasty.

30  Thank Simon W
"untrained eye"
"great wall of china"
"car park"
in 12 reviews
"what it says on the tin"
"visited earlier"
"many occasions"
"an absolute"
"bucket list"

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The weather was a bit questionable today so we were unsure what activities to undertake. We had heard so much about the tunnel, we figured we would head over to bude to check it out. NOT DISSAPOINTED. Has to be in the top three tunnels in the UK. Recommended!

32  Thank David D
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

So lucky to have this tunnel on my doorstep. I have visited on many occasions and I especially enjoy it on a winters day when the wind & rain is lashing down & I can enjoy a leisurely stroll through the tunnel without my French stick becoming soggy or my newspaper getting wet. Pure pleasure on a stormy winters day!It's open all year around but my top tip is to avoid the heat and crowds of summer & visit in winter when you can enjoy the true beauty of this outstanding tunnel.

27  Thank 6clare999
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Every time we visit Bude we have to see the tunnel! Our toddler loves running through the tunnel, and best of all...its free! Number one attraction in our eyes.

7  Thank SiandLou
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Bude Tunnel is quite simply a wonder of the modern world. As soon as I first gazed upon this glorious cylindrical masterpiece I knew I had found perfection in tunnel form. For me Bude Tunnel, The A282, and Teeside University are the most poignant examples of engineering excellence and morality found anywhere in the world. I'm truly shocked that any person would dare turn down an invitation to gaze upon the majesty of these marvels.

As I finished the last of my Stella cans from the nearby Sainsbury's I was struck by the sudden realisation that one could walk for such distance in a straight line without getting wet. But Bude Tunnel is far more than a shelter. Throughout my spiritual journey down the tunnel I fell in love with every stunning panel, every expertly placed metal beam, every misplaced shopping trolley. It's a British triumph on the same level as whole milk. A British victory over the elements and inefficient tunnel design of the same magnitude as Waterloo. I thank God every day that I was born at a time where I could witness Bude Tunnel. Whilst visiting an inferior tunnel in the picturesque cultural hub of Croydon I was reminded of these words:

'Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.'

Bude Tunnel is a clear reminder that whatever the future of Britain holds we will still be able to rally behind the greatest monument the world has ever seen. It's a true symbol of The British Isles, and a beacon of sophistication to shine across the world. Brexit means Brexit.

67  Thank Samwillown