Bude is so small that I think it doesn't really matter where you stay, however this B&B is in a lovely locale with a fantastic view. We had no problems walking out to the high street or even walking to the Castle Restaurant on top of the cliff in the distance. It's also a really lovely to wander down to the large Summerleaze beach, and it's facing West so sunsets are amazing.
Rooms and Service
We booked the superior room which was the cheapest option, but we got the worst of them. Room 209 is appalling. I was not expecting beach views (though considering the location, trust me it's WORTH splashing a bit more for the view) but the view from this room was to a dead space which was untidy, dirty and just downright ugly. I was so upset with this when I got there, having seen all the lovely pictures on the website. The room itself was small but well-equipped, modern with a nice toilet, but honestly, with a view to the back (which made the small room look even smaller and darker), it ruined the experience for me.
The receptionist in charge was lovely enough to upgrade me for a night to the only room they had available - a deluxe room. What a HUGE difference this made! I was extremely happy with my stay there, even if it was just for one night, and was satisfied enough to move back to the room with the rubbish view for the second night. The deluxe room was truly fantastic. The room had the same equipment as the superior room: TV, blu-ray player, cupboard (but much larger), hairdryer, books to read, FANTASTIC STRONG SHOWER (with arm and rain shower head), lovely modern sink, bath towels, hand towels, kettle, complimentary water, mini-fridge, desk and chair, lovely Molten Brown toiletries. The main differences of a deluxe room?
- Huge bed
- Huge room
- Large Terrace with tables and chairs, facing the beach.
- One of the BEST bathrooms I've ever been to: large sink for two people, AMAZING BATHTUB was a a real treat!!!
I would describe the interior as modern contemporary, comfortable and homely, and feels completely new.
I was so happy with this room that when I moved back to tiny Rm 209 I focused on the main things I like about this hotel, namely:
- strong hairdryer
- strong pressured shower
- fantastic modern style bathroom
- big heated towel rack
- lots of plugs available to charge items
- teabags, instant coffee, hot choc and biscuits provided
- full length mirror
- bench for bags
- in-room safe
- Room 209's view.
- No bedroom slippers
- No bathrobes
- No scrub, toothpaste, toothbrush, cotton buds.
- The bed: mattress was much TOO SOFT, which made me feel achey in the morning. It's bad for your back.
- No plastic bags provided to put your wet stuff in when packing for home.
As mentioned this was excellent with the willingness to upgrade a dissatisfied customer, and the service at breakfast was wonderful and personal (go 5 mins before they shut and they still serve you without rushing you out). Check-in and Check-out was also swift and easy.
Breakfast was very good with no limitations on the food menu - croissants, toast, full english breakfast. A good range of juices and yoghurt, cereal and fruit are provided (I liked the availability of kiwis!). Unfortunately it does not have any specialty coffees (only filter coffee) or other kinds of tea (only english breakfast).
Free wifi is available throughout the hotel - sometimes patchy connection but generally fast.
Lack of a lunch and dinner restaurant at this hotel can be seen as a downside, but if it keeps the prices of the rooms down I would much prefer that. There are lots of nice restaurants close by anyway.
Parking is generally easy with some spaces directly in front of the hotel (complimentary), and also the option to park the whole way down the road. No problems here.
Security of the hotel is very good with the door locked at night, but you're given the key so it's fine to get in after-hours.
Though my first impression of the superior room was awful, having seen the deluxe room and experienced the service I extremely enjoyed my stay here. The decor is tasteful and the bathrooms are simply AMAZING. It's worth staying in a deluxe room just for the bathtub!! I would come back again but definitely only get a room with a seaview.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Challenging the stereotype of British seaside hotels, the Beach at Bude is a luxury boutique hotel offering stylish accommodation in a stunning setting. We have calming, clean, clutter-free rooms that are light, bright and simple. We have 16 superbly appointed bedrooms, most of which have spectacular views over Summerleaze Beach and the Atlantic. The same views are enjoyed from our dining room and terrace. We also have:- a surfboard/bicycle store- Wi-Fi internet access throughout- Lift to all floors - Car parking for 11 cars. All our bedrooms are decorated in a traditional seaside style, and have cooling limed oak furniture, Vi-Spring beds and Lloyd Loom chairs. All have- flat screen TV- Blu-Ray player - Wi-Fi- iPod docking station - direct-dial telephone - hairdryer - minifridge (containing complimentary milk and mineral water) - hospitality tray - Orla Keily toiletries- safe for your valuables. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Beach at Bude reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Beach At Bude Cornwall