“Bad first impression but service and upgraded room turned around the whole experience for me. Amazing B&B!”
Review of The Beach at Bude

The Beach at Bude
Ranked #3 of 49 Bude B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Location
Bude is so small that I think it doesn't really matter where you stay, however this B&B is in a lovely locale with a fantastic view. We had no problems walking out to the high street or even walking to the Castle Restaurant on top of the cliff in the distance. It's also a really lovely to wander down to the large Summerleaze beach, and it's facing West so sunsets are amazing.

Rooms and Service
We booked the superior room which was the cheapest option, but we got the worst of them. Room 209 is appalling. I was not expecting beach views (though considering the location, trust me it's WORTH splashing a bit more for the view) but the view from this room was to a dead space which was untidy, dirty and just downright ugly. I was so upset with this when I got there, having seen all the lovely pictures on the website. The room itself was small but well-equipped, modern with a nice toilet, but honestly, with a view to the back (which made the small room look even smaller and darker), it ruined the experience for me.

The receptionist in charge was lovely enough to upgrade me for a night to the only room they had available - a deluxe room. What a HUGE difference this made! I was extremely happy with my stay there, even if it was just for one night, and was satisfied enough to move back to the room with the rubbish view for the second night. The deluxe room was truly fantastic. The room had the same equipment as the superior room: TV, blu-ray player, cupboard (but much larger), hairdryer, books to read, FANTASTIC STRONG SHOWER (with arm and rain shower head), lovely modern sink, bath towels, hand towels, kettle, complimentary water, mini-fridge, desk and chair, lovely Molten Brown toiletries. The main differences of a deluxe room?
- Huge bed
- Huge room
- Large Terrace with tables and chairs, facing the beach.
- One of the BEST bathrooms I've ever been to: large sink for two people, AMAZING BATHTUB was a a real treat!!!
I would describe the interior as modern contemporary, comfortable and homely, and feels completely new.

I was so happy with this room that when I moved back to tiny Rm 209 I focused on the main things I like about this hotel, namely:
- strong hairdryer
- strong pressured shower
- fantastic modern style bathroom
- big heated towel rack
- lots of plugs available to charge items
- teabags, instant coffee, hot choc and biscuits provided
- full length mirror
- bench for bags
- in-room safe

THE BAD
- Room 209's view.
- No bedroom slippers
- No bathrobes
- No scrub, toothpaste, toothbrush, cotton buds.
- The bed: mattress was much TOO SOFT, which made me feel achey in the morning. It's bad for your back.
- No plastic bags provided to put your wet stuff in when packing for home.

As mentioned this was excellent with the willingness to upgrade a dissatisfied customer, and the service at breakfast was wonderful and personal (go 5 mins before they shut and they still serve you without rushing you out). Check-in and Check-out was also swift and easy.

Other Comments
Breakfast was very good with no limitations on the food menu - croissants, toast, full english breakfast. A good range of juices and yoghurt, cereal and fruit are provided (I liked the availability of kiwis!). Unfortunately it does not have any specialty coffees (only filter coffee) or other kinds of tea (only english breakfast).
Free wifi is available throughout the hotel - sometimes patchy connection but generally fast.
Lack of a lunch and dinner restaurant at this hotel can be seen as a downside, but if it keeps the prices of the rooms down I would much prefer that. There are lots of nice restaurants close by anyway.
Parking is generally easy with some spaces directly in front of the hotel (complimentary), and also the option to park the whole way down the road. No problems here.
Security of the hotel is very good with the door locked at night, but you're given the key so it's fine to get in after-hours.

Overall
Though my first impression of the superior room was awful, having seen the deluxe room and experienced the service I extremely enjoyed my stay here. The decor is tasteful and the bathrooms are simply AMAZING. It's worth staying in a deluxe room just for the bathtub!! I would come back again but definitely only get a room with a seaview.

Room Tip: Do not choose Room 209 unless they have revamped that dead space. Only choose a room with a seaview...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We spent one night at the beach on the 01/04/12. We turned up as a walk in and was immediately shown the most amazing room we have ever seen in the uk. The rooms are elegant, luxurious and so comfortable,we didn't want to go out . The bed is huge and so comfortable and the chairs the same. We had the most amazing view of the beach from the First floor massive bay window, The bathroom is spectacular, and really you will go in there and take pics to show your loved ones. Every conceivable detail has been covered.............................. exceptional............. The breakfast is fantastic, there is a very varied choice on offer, The dining room as is even the lift; décor, fixtures. fittings and furniture immaculate. The staff are amazing so friendly and helpful the service was second to none. Check out is not till 11 o'clock and breakfast finishes at 10, such a refreshing change. We chatted to the owner and asked how they managed to achieve this standard inside and out? She replied they had travelled extensively so they took everything good from their experiences encountered along the way. The result. THE BEACH AT BUDE IS THE REASON NOT TO PACK YOUR PASSPORT AND FLY AWAY. With this standard set, and the bar so high. GO TO THE BEACH AT BUDE you will be amazed and you will know your at the right place. Will be going back asap. Well done this is the standard everyone else should emulate.

Room Tip: Every room is spectacular.Tthe view is out of this world. There is no need to go abroad you've j...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed here on business last week. Newly renovated with spacious, modern rooms. High end amenities, and my room had sliding doors that opened to a great view of the beach and sunsets. Breakfasts were filling and tasty, served by friendly staff in the dining room overlooking the coast. I would highly recommend this B&B.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We visited The Beach at Bude for a last minute relaxing weekend away from it all and this B&B certainly did the job. Everything about our stay was absolutely first class and The Beach at Bude really does set the standard all seaside B&Bs should aim to follow. The location couldn't be better - right by the beach and the unexpectedly fantastic food at the Life's a Beach restaurant (it was busy so I would recommend booking a table). Our room was beautifully decorated (as was the rest of the property), the bathroom was immaculately clean and luxurious, and it was almost impossible to tear ourselves away from the view of the beach and sea from our balcony (if you can, book a sea view room it is without question worth the extra cost). All topped off with friendly staff and an excellent Full English. The Beach at Bude restored my faith in English seaside B&B's (not a floral lampshade in sight) - we'll certainly be returning!

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra money the sea view is stunning (and the roar of the ocean is pretty rela...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heva19
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed for 1 night on business, could happily have rung in sick and stayed for a week! I stay in hotels for business extensively and this is probably the best place I have stayed in for a very long time. I have never travelled to Bude before and, whilst I was there out of season, so not a great deal open, it did give me a taste that I would like to return. The rooms, bathrooms and indeed whole place has been renovated to a 5 star spec, with no expense spared. Beds were extremely comfortable, as many people have commented on the little touches such as fresh milk in the fridge (a real treat after a long days driving to have a "proper" cup of tea!), bottled water, Moulton Brown toiletries etc., etc., The soft furnishings, lighting and decor are just beautiful. Sarah welcomed me in a friendly but unobtrusive way, just the way I like to be handled. The only downside for me is that, in all honesty it is an upmarket b&b rather than a hotel - no bar or restaurant. As I said earlier, I travelled on business so had to go out for dinner (or I could have ordered a take away with the list provided and ate in the dining room). As a lone female traveller, I do generally prefer not to dine out in restaurants on my own, so that was really the only downside for me. I am sure if I went back in the summer (if I could get in as I would think it gets very busy in high season) it wouldnt be a problem to dine out when there is more choice and its light in the evening. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable stay. Well done.

Room Tip: Worth the extra to pay for a Sea view - quite spectacular
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Spacious airy room and an excellent large and modern bathroom with beautiful view over the beach (definitely an oooh! factor). Breakfast very good - and owner charming, friendly and very helpful. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My partner and I first visited The Beach at Bude in October last year and loved it so much we brought friends with us this time. Once again the welcome was warm, the bedrooms gorgeous and immaculate, the breakfast very tasty and the service from Sara friendly and accommodating. The location and views are stunning. This time they had music on during breakfast which they didn't have last time and was much better as it was out of season and there were few guests in the breakfast room.

Thank you for another enjoyable stay, we'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2012